Alabama State Troopers Huntsville Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caddop22

Hi all,

Does anyone listen to the State DPS in the huntsville area? I have the frequencies programmed into a Pro-95, but never get any traffic on them. I do get the various other TGID's like Utility Construction Crews and a few others, but no DPS.

I used the RR database and programmed the EDACS system in properly.

Does anyone have any advise on this issue?

BTW, I am using the standard antenna on the scanner at this time.

Thanks,
K

Last edited:

RevGary

Pastor and Chaplain Responder
I know that RadioJonD can give y'all more info, but just for a test - try programming in 158.7900, 154.9200 and 155.5050 and see what happens...

With all the negatives encountered with the 800 systems, you just might hear them on these VHF channels near Huntsville. No promises; that's a long way from my location, but dispatch in the south end is using VHF regularly because it works and 800 sometimes doesn't.

morganAL

158.790 is DPS in Decatur. I can't remember what Hsv is at the moment. All of the Troopers have an 800 EDACS portable so you my hear a small amount of traffic occasionally but they are primarily on VHF.

Caddop22

Thanks RevGary and morganAL,

I input the frequencies that you both suggested and I do get some traffic on them.

I was wondering if there are freqencies specifically for the Huntsville area or are the ones posted used for basically the north alabama area?

I have looked around a bit, but can't really find any just for Huntsville.

Thanks for any help,

Ken

Caddop22

In reference to the above post, with the frequencies that were provided on this post I do hear traffic but it is only the dispatcher/records personnel. Does anyone have the frequencies for the acutal troopers when they respond back to dispatch?

Thanks,
K

RevGary

Not 100% sure but try 159.030 and 155.445 ... seems to me someone in the northern part of the state mentioned that to another member some time ago (now in the archives). See what happens BUT also note - those are CAR TO BASE frequencies with NO repeater... hopefully, you have a good VHF antenna.

Caddop22

Thanks for the replies,

I have input these frequencies and will see what happens.

I just recently bought the 800mhz (20-283) antenna from RS and it seems to be helping some.

Thanks again,
K

Julian1

Alabama State Troopers

PAIRED TOGETHER
158.790 Base to Car and Car to Car
159.030 Car to Base

PAIRED TOGETHER
154.920 Base to Car and Car to Car
155.445 Car to Base

State Net 155.010

Mobile Extender (in-car repeater to link the trooper via walkie-talkie to their car radio)

Nationwide Mutual Aid 155.475

Some areas of the state you will hear a post on 155.505. Rare...very rare.

They also use Southern Link (iden like Nextel). No way, no how will any of us hear that traffic.

Use the freq's above and you will be set.

You will only hear cars if within range since they are not on repeaters.

Most traffic will pertain to registrations & license checks since they're usually stopping cars and working wrecks.

No PL squelch tones in most of the state. I want to recall Decatur post might have a PL tone.

Feel free to write offline if you wish. julian780@bellsouth.net

Good luck....
Julian

SCPD

QRT
I may ad 155.505 used to known as CH8 was ABi/narcotitics bac in the old days. also There are a lot of the new splinter VHF reqs that were listed in The radio Shack fr\q book a year or two ago. I assusmes theyw ere for the so called new systems theyw re supposed to have online ( statewide) withing 2 years.. but time has passed on that also

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
At the hairdresser's, past the liquor store.
155.505 is now labeled as DPS-3. The only Post using it for dispatch (cars and base) is Quad*Cities in Northwest Alabama. Mobile used it for the Grove Hill tower at one time, but have now switched to DPS-1, I think.

ABI hasn't used 155.505 since the early 90's. Listen for them on the Southern Linc :(. And then let me know how you do that :)! They do have DPS VHF radios but very seldom use them.

RevGary

Hey, Jonathan - as many grumbles that I have heard for the past 2 1/2 years about Southern Link, it's amazing that anyone is still using it. It can only be used in locations that standard cellphones work and that unfortunately limits the use by Public Safety agencies in some areas, buildings, cruisers with other electronic equipment running ( especially radar) and in condo elevators. The only relable area that it works most of the time, I have been told, is on the Gulf coastal waters out to about 4 - 6 miles. Past that - NO SIGNAL -

Are there ANY ADPS Dispatch Centers using VHF repeaters for their primary COM...? Just my opinion, but using a two frequency simplex system limits the ability of other officers to IMMEDIATELY hear if a fellow officer is in a bad situation. With a repeater, that call for help would be heard immediately by everyone in the zone... especially when seconds count. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way that it is in most areas currently, the dispatecher has to put out a repeat of the officer's Code 0 0, 10-100 or 10-33 broadcast so everyone would hear it. (?)

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
Our Southern Lincs are more for admin chatter and for contact if a trooper is out of VHF range. You are right, Gary. Service is non existent in some areas.

No, we do not have any repeater set ups except for a few 800 sites that may be used in some areas. Most of them are useless. At least ours is.

Yes, we are trained to "call chases", etc. by repeatiing priority traffic back out for all. We would probably do this anyway to cut down on "what did he/she say?" (10-9). Units responding as back up seem to miss stuff the first time for some reason; probably road noise and adrenalin rush. Does anyone else notice this?

Julian1

2-channel simplex

Cars responding on a different channel would at first seem to restrict other area cars from hearing a fellow trooper.

In the old days that was true. Today's radios w/ scan function can have the car to base freq in the scan cue. We do that here in Georgia and it helps with that old problem. My next door neighbor - sheriff's deputy has both Ga State Patrol Base to Car and Car to Base in his radio.

Occasionally I'll hear two cars talk without ever switching over to the base to car / car to car freq.

Maybe JonD can comment on this but I'd be surprised if Ala doesn't have car to base available for troopers to hear the others call in.

Best Regards to All,
Julian

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
Yep, Julian1, DPS-7 (159.030) is the car monitor (receive only) channel for DPS-1 & DPS-8 (155.445) is the same for DPS-2.

I swear I had listed the channel line up in another thread around here somewhere. I can't find the thread now.

Status
Not open for further replies.