Alachua County Fire Paging

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmangan

Premium Subscriber
Alachua County has begun testing automated voice alerting on their dispatch channel. The 2-tone VHF paging system remains in tact, the only known change to my knowledge is the new "robot voice".

kmangan

Premium Subscriber
I wasn't familiar with what CSQ was, but after reading up on it, it makes sense. Listening to the VHF is painful with how many times the channel opens up, some days/times worse than others, with no audio.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
That's why killing the transmit PL is not good for scanner listeners. Now you get to hear all manner of co-channel interference. The only solution is to set up a decoder that alerts on any paging tones of interest.

I could swear I just drove through Alachua and never heard a peep on their VHF fire channel. You'd figure in a 2 hour period there would be at least 1 "weak and dizzy" call. Although now that I checked my code plug I have good old 5A in there so they must have killed the PL tone before last week. Nuts.

154.325MHz right?

Last edited:

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
While we're on Alachua, is the listing for Gainesville fire still valid?

154.14500 KCT624 RM 141.3 PL 1 Fire Administration/Paging (Simulcast with 800 MHz)

kmangan

Premium Subscriber
Hey Bote, yeah... up until I opened this thread up, the channel stayed open with no audio for nearly 2 minutes. As for the Gainesville VHF, yes it's still being used. GFR put a new unit on the road in the last two years or so, called Squad 2, but it is running out of an apartment complex, so they are toning Squad 2 off the old VHF. All other GFR stations are using a separate alerting system.

jeff

Premium Subscriber
Of course after I post that the PL has been disabled they show back up with it on, 156.7.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
I've gotten into the habit of setting these channels where I'm not sure about the PL to "Search" so if they transmit it and I notice the display, I can program it in and make a note of it.

Although PL stripping is a thing of the past so I would expect this new base station either to have it or not. I don't see it changing willy-nilly. Maybe the fire chief complained and the radio shop came out and reprogrammed the base station?

Does the voice sound like they're using Locution?

jeff

Premium Subscriber
Have them back with CSQ at a lower power, at times I can't pick them up (St Augustine). Listening to their live feed, Locution is used on the trunked system.

kmangan

Premium Subscriber
Maybe for Gainesville stations... haven't heard that for county stations or the other municipal stations.

kmangan

Premium Subscriber
looks like the analog simulcast has ended as of today hear dispatches on the trunking system and not on the 154.3250

Yes, the 100% simulcast ended late last week. Two-tone paging is still being done for all Alachua County and contract stations. Gainesville has ceased the simulcast and two-tone paging on their VHF as well for Squad 2. They are likely alerting their portable radio, as they don't yet have a full-time station.

Status
Not open for further replies.