Alachua County to become encrypted?

mbtuchman

A friend overheard some testing of encrypted radio chatter the other day on ACSO and GPD talkgroups.

After drumming up some old documents, I came across a TRS->P25 implementation proposal from the early 2000's and another from 2012 where they stress they'll have "fully featured P25 Phase I implementation" by November of 2020. Could this mean encryption? More importantly, could these encryption tests only hint at the end of scanning in the Gainesville and Alachua areas?

A mighty fine time to reduce police transparency, yeah?

whooey

ENC is definitely the trend across the nation, we shall wait and see. Would not be surprised at all if they threw the switch here. I am ok with tactical channels and teletype with ENC, but dispatch should be in the open. IMO of course. Hopefully fire rescue stays in the clear.

SRSP2282

Premium Subscriber
A friend overheard some testing of encrypted radio chatter the other day on ACSO and GPD talkgroups.
I heard the testing too... they have been doing it for a while now.

After drumming up some old documents, I came across a TRS->P25 implementation proposal from the early 2000's and another from 2012 where they stress they'll have "fully featured P25 Phase I implementation" by November of 2020. Could this mean encryption? More importantly, could these encryption tests only hint at the end of scanning in the Gainesville and Alachua areas?
There are a handful of docs floating around in the public domain about the system and changes over the years. Sometimes ENC is mentioned, but so far nothing is concrete. It is certainly possible that there will be migration to fulltime ENC. As whooey points out it is indeed a growing trend. There is another possibility. These tests could be to make sure that when patrol/marked units are working with groups like SWAT/DTF (who operate with ENC) that they can communicate together in secure mode.

So far I have not seen ENC tests with ACFR or GFR so that's promising.

In short, I don't think the sky is falling, but I wouldn't drop any money on a fancy new scanner right now either.