Alamance County

Chris0516

I can get the FD Disp(4167 in the county listing on Viper) no problem. But I rarely hear anything else from their Viper listing. So, I unlocked the conventional channels for the county and, the channel for the county jail is blocking anything from coming through. Any ideas, TIA

drayd48

I hear Alamance county all the time when I travel through there. What towers are you monitoring?

Chris0516

I hear Alamance county all the time when I travel through there. What towers are you monitoring?
I have Chatham County(home)'s Pittsboro tower in use at the moment. Because I tried towers in my neighboring counties(Alamance, Durham, Harnett, Moore, Orange, Randolph, Wake) w/o any success. I do have all the counties programmed in properly(I want to hear what is happening in a neighboring county). Just that, I am only getting the dispatch channel from that tower.

Chris0516

If you have a BCDx36HP or SDS100/200, go into the profile editor in Sentinel and enable all of the service types. Only the dispatch service types are enabled when you first install Sentinel.
What make & model scanner are you using? Your signature only mentions a BCD325p2 & if this were the case then the service type solution wouldn't be applicable to that model
I only have the BCD325p2. But I d/l'ded Sentinel . To see what you were referring to, hoping that I could somehow do the same function in ProScan. But NEITHER, mention TAC channels. I guess those are encrypted.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Sentinel isn't compatible with the BCD325P2. Also Alamance County Fire Tac channels are listed as "in the clear" (mode "D") in the DB. If they were fully encrypted, they'd show up as mode "DE" (or "De" if encrypted partially)

DECHEXModeAlpha TagDescriptionTag
4157103dDAlamanceCo FD 2County Fire Tac 2Fire-Tac
42081070DAlamanceCo FD 3County Fire Tac 3Fire-Tac
4159103fDAlamanceCo FD 4County Fire Tac 4Fire-Tac
41601040DAlamanceCo FD 5County Fire Tac 5Fire-Tac
41611041DAlamanceCo FD 6County Fire Tac 6Fire-Tac
41631043DAlamanceCo FD 8County Fire Tac 8Fire-Tac
41641044DAlamanceCo FD 9County Fire Tac 9Fire-Tac
4156103cDAlamanceCo FD 10County Fire Tac 10Fire-Tac

Chris0516

Sentinel isn't compatible with the BCD325P2. Also Alamance County Tac channels are listed as "in the clear" (mode "D") in the DB. If they were fully encrypted, they'd show up as mode "DE" (or "De" if encrypted partially)

DECHEXModeAlpha TagDescriptionTag
4157103dDAlamanceCo FD 2County Fire Tac 2Fire-Tac
42081070DAlamanceCo FD 3County Fire Tac 3Fire-Tac
4159103fDAlamanceCo FD 4County Fire Tac 4Fire-Tac
41601040DAlamanceCo FD 5County Fire Tac 5Fire-Tac
41611041DAlamanceCo FD 6County Fire Tac 6Fire-Tac
41631043DAlamanceCo FD 8County Fire Tac 8Fire-Tac
41641044DAlamanceCo FD 9County Fire Tac 9Fire-Tac
4156103cDAlamanceCo FD 10County Fire Tac 10Fire-Tac
I know Sentinel is not compatible with the 325p2. :) I just temporarily installed Sentinel to better understand what tvengr meant.

drayd48

I have Chatham County(home)'s Pittsboro tower in use at the moment. Because I tried towers in my neighboring counties(Alamance, Durham, Harnett, Moore, Orange, Randolph, Wake) w/o any success. I do have all the counties programmed in properly(I want to hear what is happening in a neighboring county). Just that, I am only getting the dispatch channel from that tower.
Remember, a unit has to be affiliated on a specific channel for it to be carried across that tower. Most radios sit on dispatch all the time, so it makes sense that someone happens to be affiliated on dispatch on that particular tower you are on. If no one is affiliated on a certain channel, even if that tower is capable of carrying that talkgroup, that tower won't broadcast that talkgroup. It is very unlikely that a unit affiliated on a tac channel would be outside the county.

drayd48

the channel for the county jail is blocking anything from coming through
Looking at the FCC database, that channel is the control channel for the Franklin County system. You are probably receiving that channel.

Chris0516

Remember, a unit has to be affiliated on a specific channel for it to be carried across that tower. Most radios sit on dispatch all the time, so it makes sense that someone happens to be affiliated on dispatch on that particular tower you are on. If no one is affiliated on a certain channel, even if that tower is capable of carrying that talkgroup, that tower won't broadcast that talkgroup. It is very unlikely that a unit affiliated on a tac channel would be outside the county.
I know they sit on the dispatch channel, and they have to be affiliated with a tower. I know I am getting Alamance County off the Pittsboro tower, because. Chatham County has a patch to their VHF channels. Just from focusing on the voices, I can tell the difference between Chatham n' Alamance (and the other neighboring counties I have programmed).
Looking at the FCC database, that channel is the control channel for the Franklin County system. You are probably receiving that channel.
I'm curious? Can you tell me where, on the FCC site, that you searched? Because, Franklin County is not a neighboring county for me. As for the jail blocking everything, the jail has a VHF channel that is blocking everything.

Last edited: