Alaska State Troopers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I watch Alaska State Troopers on Nat Geo and it's a pretty good show. For some reason the producers or editors are fascinated with the Motorola triple beep for channel grants on the ALMR system. They purposely dub it in.for transmissions that are received by the Trooper which does not happen normally. This is really annoying as sometimes it's almost constant. I can understand to hear them when a Trooper transmits but to use them on every transmission that's received is dumb ..

Last edited:

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
I watch Alaska State Troopers on Nat Geo and it's a pretty good show. For some reason the producers or editors are fascinated with the Motorola triple beep for channel grants on the ALMR system. They purposely dub it in.for transmissions that are received by the Trooper which does not happen normally. This is really annoying as sometimes it's almost constant. I can understand to hear them when a Trooper transmits but to use them on every transmission that's received is dumb ..
The "Triple Beep" is kind of nice, especially when on the listening end of the radio. It prevents people from "Clipping" themselves ( talking just as they key the microphone, and not giving the repeater time to "kick in", and rebroadcast what is said ). And no......Not all repeaters are created equal.

Don't knock the triple beep......It helps some of us. ;)

FF - Medic !!!

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
I can understand to hear them when a Trooper transmits but to use them on every transmission that's received is dumb ..

( I am tied up at times...sorry about the break in times in posting ).

Not all repeaters are equal. Some repeaters will "kick out" as soon as one stops broadcasting. Other repeaters will still stay "Keyed up" for four seconds or so........to give the other party time to reply without "rekeying" the repeater. On **analog** systems anyway - Transmit frequency and Transmit PL

Some repeaters "key out" quiet, while some have a squelch afterwards.

Some of the "beeps" may or may not be as you described, and are in fact digital transmissions.

I am not in anyway familiar with the radio system that Alaska State Troopers use. Some times I hear the "beeps" and sometimes when the Wildlife Troopers transmit......I do not hear the "Beeps" broadcast when they key up the microphone.

Alaska State Troopers ----- > GREAT show, and I enjoy watching the Wildlife Troopers work. I could get lost in Alaska camping and fishing....just as the leaves are changing.

Early 1990's - LAPD "Life on the Beat" was a great show to watch, if you liked staying up late and watching it. But Alaska State Troopers takes the cake.

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Never knew it's been on for that long? But man what a great show watched the “wildest calls" episode had me on the edge of my seat when a first watched it: one hour standoff in the freezing cold pretty amazing what they put up with. And is the ALMR system wide area? because I did notice the troopers were using XTS Portable radios in digital mode......

KG4INW

I enjoy that show too but you're right, it is very annoying that they dubbed it in when no one in reality should be hearing the TPT (i.e. while RX). They add weird tones on other shows like Border Wars but in that case, they have bubblepack FRS roger beeps!

SCPD

QRT
Average viewer thinks nothing of it, but us radio geeks catch it. Forgot about Border Wars with the FRS roger beep, good show but the dubbed in sound effects can get annoying at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.