Albemarle/charlottesville update

dtscho

Database Admin
Do you know if they fully switched over yet? I'm going to be heading up there probably in early April.

No, I don't even know that they're doing testing yet. I have yet to see any voice traffic, although I don't monitor much. Primary operations are still on the P16 system.

And this is why it always has to be read off the air for Harris Systems. Rarely do they ever use the same band plan. Thanks!

Right, I didn't mean to imply that the Albemarle and Louisa band plans would be the same. I just meant that I was providing the same type of information for Albemarle that I did for Louisa. Glad the info was useful.

ervfc288

Feed Provider
Last I heard we were waiting on a full foliage test before they move forward. In fact, they haven't even notified any Fire agencies of the upcoming change, which will require a complete reinstall of equipment.

ervfc288

Feed Provider
Just found out the new Harris system will be Harris equipment for the infrastructure but all subscriber radios will continue to use the Motorola apx series radios. As a long time member of Albemarle County public safety I am ecstatic that we don’t have to use Harris subscriber equipment! It’s total garbage.

Nitsud

So what scanners will be able to monitor this system when it’s up and live?

Nitsud

Cool! Any updates as to when it will switch? Also, I haven’t seen any articles, is this system going to tie in or work with any other jurisdictions?

ervfc288

Feed Provider
Cool! Any updates as to when it will switch? Also, I haven’t seen any articles, is this system going to tie in or work with any other jurisdictions?
I don't have any official info but it's my understanding that it will be cutover by fall. They have already moved the Motorola equipment to a temporary rack and installed the Harris equipment in the permanent rack. Waiting on a full foliage test then cutover to be planned after that. I don't know of any integrations between other systems, but patches to neighboring systems will be made with RIOS, same as today.

ervfc288

Feed Provider
Here is the latest information reported at the April 2021 FEMS Board Meeting.

Code:
Chief Puckett said that since Chief Walker would be out for some time, he is filling in for
him on the P25 radio project.

Chief Puckett said they are nearing implementation, and he has asked for this item to
remain on the agenda until this project is actually implemented because he thinks there
is at least the potential for monthly updates and actions that the FEMS Board will need
to be aware of.

Chief Puckett said first and foremost, Mr. Gabe Elias with the ECC, who has been the
project lead from the ECC’s standpoint, has taken another position with the state, and
so he is no longer with ECC. He said Ms. Lily Gregg is handling the project
implementation from Fire Rescue’s side, and this is already in place.

Chief Puckett said there were a couple of upcoming items. He said in a few weeks, they
will be switching the Buck’s Elbow UHF antennae and moving to a new one. He said as
a few of the chiefs were already aware, due to the quiet zone out there, there were
some issues when they went for their relicensing. He said they were running more
amperage out of that tower site that they were allowed by their license, and it may even
have been a bit taller than it was supposed to be. He said this had to be brought into
compliance with the new project and new license.

Chief Puckett said they do not believe there will be significant loss in signal in the
western part of the County, but they did reach out and talk to the stations that will most
likely be impacted on that side. He said there were no huge concerns, but before the
switch to the new antennae is made, there will be some pre-switchover testing sites and
specific areas selected to see if the pagers alert. He said this way, they can replicate
that after the changeover to see if there has been any degradation in those areas. He
said if so, they can figure out what their options are going forward, but much of this is
limited by the FCC.

Chief Puckett said system acceptance actually begins as early as June. He said much
of this is on the infrastructure and being able to pass signals from site to site, and
nothing will be up and running yet. He said then, likely starting in the summer, coverage
testing will begin. He recalled from the last radio project that it involved many people
going to check sites. He said he believes it is far more sophisticated now than it used to
be, as there is now a third-party company that does this, and there are special vehicles
set up with radios and antennae, tracking the test.

Chief Puckett said the plan is to go live sometime in the fall. He noted that the big
impact for any users at the moment is that over this period, before go-live, they will have
to touch the radios at least two to three times. He said they are now working with Clear
Communications to purchase the enhancements the radios need. He said with their
age, some of the radios do not have everything needed to be able to work on the new
system, while some perhaps do. He said some of the radios are near their end of life,
and it is more cost effective to replace them than they are to upgrade, at this point.

Chief Puckett said then, the programming enhancements must be added to the radios,
and the new code plugs will have to be added to the new system. He said likely after
cutover, they will have to take the old code plugs and information back out. He said they
may be able to combine the first two touches, but it is unclear at this time. He said a
schedule will be provided, and all the radios will need to be at the station as Clear
Communications comes through and touches them all in order to stay on track.

Chief Hahn asked if the new subscriber units were getting close to that seven-year
period.

Chief Puckett replied that some were getting close to the seven-year period, and those
are the ones where currently, they are looking at simply replacing them rather than
paying for all the upgrades on a radio that is, for instance, due to be replaced next year.
He said he believed the current plan was that anything from 2015 or older would be
replaced. He said they are working on purchasing and procurement with Clear
Communications

dtscho

Database Admin
I monitored the P25 system yesterday with DSD+. The East and West simulcasts are now reporting neighbor sites. There is another site as well - Scottsville (it may be an ASR). If anyone is close enough to monitor Scottsville, we could use the site NAC, neighbors, and additional frequencies. All this information can be obtained from DSD+ or similar program. Thanks.

Dave

ervfc288

Feed Provider
I monitored the P25 system yesterday with DSD+. The East and West simulcasts are now reporting neighbor sites. There is another site as well - Scottsville (it may be an ASR). If anyone is close enough to monitor Scottsville, we could use the site NAC, neighbors, and additional frequencies. All this information can be obtained from DSD+ or similar program. Thanks.

Dave

im working on setting up an sdr with external
antenna at the firehouse in Keswick to monitor the p16 system. Could also use it to experiment with the p25 system; also should be close enough to pickup a scottsville site. Will report back once I get the coax ran. We have zero reception inside our metal building.

SVILLE-TF17

Premium Subscriber
What's the control channel? I tried looking for a control between 851-860 MHz, but didn't find anything. (I also tried the frequencies listed on the license individually; found nothing.) I'm able to receive the control for the P16 system weakly from here. Maybe it's not surprising that I can't get a control for the P25 system, as those systems are supposedly focused more on the area they're supposed to cover.

One other thing: are you sure you're hearing the P25 control? I ask because that NAC you noted is similar to the P16 system ID: AB15. Also, Harris NACs are often 00A. Not saying it would be impossible to get a different NAC, but something to keep in mind.

Dave
Hey Dave , I have the scottsville repeater Frequencies ! Let me know if you want me to send them to
You

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Hey Dave , I have the scottsville repeater Frequencies ! Let me know if you want me to send them to
You

Hi tributetofr. Welcome to RR. Dave does take care of the information submitted to the Virginia Database on RR. You can actually submit it yourself and he will review it and let you know if he has questions. By submitting it, he will probably see it sooner than here in the forums. Thanks for gathering the info. Here's the link to submit. Just drill down into the selections. Submit Data to RadioReference

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
Testing heard today on the new 800 MHz p25 system. Talkgroups 64005 and 64052 were being used on the east simulcast system using a sds200.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I heard the same yesterday while I was in Charlottesville. I didn’t know if this was something that had been in progress for a while. I was using a Unication G5.

ervfc288

Feed Provider
I've setup the new P25 system (East Simulcast) to ingest calls into Broadcastify Calls platform. It's node 1347. Please ignore the existing archived calls and talkgroups (from 1/26/22 and older), that was from a system I was using to test, I've opened a ticket asking for that info to be purged.

Testing should start soon and be fairly frequent, the latest update from ACFR is that testing and radio reprogramming should be in full swing by mid to late February.

ervfc288

Feed Provider
Testing earlier today on the new P25 system. Appears fire units ran a test scenario on the Smartnet system with two talk groups patched into the new system...

Source SystemSource TGIDSource TG AlphaDestination SystemDestination TGDestination Alpha
Smartnet25776AlbChECC AdmP25 Phase II64051Unknown
Smartnet25808AlbChECC TngP25 Phase II64052Unknown

Captured on the broadcastify system and my rdio-scanner setup if anyone wants to hear: https://rdio.eastrivanna.com

ervfc288

Feed Provider
The switchover from SmartNet to P25 Phase 2 is underway. They have already moved over some public works such as RWSA and ACSA. Still trying to get ahold of the new talkgroup matrix but so far unsuccessful. Reprogramming of Fire/Rescue is scheduled for the beginning of June. All 6000 series and up radios will have both systems for a few months while the transition occurs. Attached is the planned transitional codeplug for Fire/Rescue.

Zone A is the new system with a few noteable changes
  • Field units can no longer transmit on FRDISP. This is for automated dispatch now.
  • We now have an encrypted talkgroup for sensitive information (FRTACA11E).
  • We now have an interop talkgroup at position 15 (PSRESP15) -- this will be the same position on all public safety radios - fire/ems/police.
  • We have an emergency talkgroup always monitored by ECC at position 16 (FREMERG).
Zone B is the Smartnet system same as today.
Zone C and D are mostly interop on the new system.

During the transition period all radios below 6000 series will be systematically replaced. Mostly APX4500 mobile radios -- during the transition an encompass gateway will used to allow these mobiles to operate on the new system with patched talkgroups:
  • FRDISP <-> FRDISP
  • FRRESP <-> FRTAC A2
  • ATAC3 <-> FRTAC A3
  • ATAC4 <-> FRTAC A4
You can monitor both systems at this link: https://rdio.eastrivanna.com/

IMG-7026.jpg

Last edited: