Albemarle/charlottesville update

dtscho

Database Admin
I am receiving a signal today from both w main st (ns tower) and carters mtn tower for the new system! P25 nac is: 155h. No talkgroups are showing up yet or any other id’s. I tried to upload a pic, but apparently image is too big.

What's the control channel? I tried looking for a control between 851-860 MHz, but didn't find anything. (I also tried the frequencies listed on the license individually; found nothing.) I'm able to receive the control for the P16 system weakly from here. Maybe it's not surprising that I can't get a control for the P25 system, as those systems are supposedly focused more on the area they're supposed to cover.

One other thing: are you sure you're hearing the P25 control? I ask because that NAC you noted is similar to the P16 system ID: AB15. Also, Harris NACs are often 00A. Not saying it would be impossible to get a different NAC, but something to keep in mind.

Dave

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
What's the control channel? I tried looking for a control between 851-860 MHz, but didn't find anything. (I also tried the frequencies listed on the license individually; found nothing.) I'm able to receive the control for the P16 system weakly from here. Maybe it's not surprising that I can't get a control for the P25 system, as those systems are supposedly focused more on the area they're supposed to cover.

One other thing: are you sure you're hearing the P25 control? I ask because that NAC you noted is similar to the P16 system ID: AB15. Also, Harris NACs are often 00A. Not saying it would be impossible to get a different NAC, but something to keep in mind.

Dave
To be clear, I have not found a control channel. When I did find something, it was the p25 nac.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
Dang it. I think I may have jumped the gun in the excitement of the new system. Check to see if 858.7375 and/or 859.7375 are affiliated with current Motorola system. Those frequencies are where p25 nac’s are coming from.
On custom scan, 859.7375 popped up with voice of ECC dispatcher referring to Jefferson mill rd incident.

858.7375 same thing except two pd units talking about a subject.
Sorry! Double checking new system frequencies soon!

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
Well, nuts. Explains everything I’ve seen. It appears that at least 858.7375 and 859.7375 were carried over from the current Motorola system. After comparing the license for the current system to the license for the Harris system, the same two frequencies are on both systems.
Now what do we do? Wait for a p25 nac that is a Harris type nac and/or a control channel?

dtscho

Database Admin

dtscho

Database Admin
Well, nuts. Explains everything I’ve seen. It appears that at least 858.7375 and 859.7375 were carried over from the current Motorola system. After comparing the license for the current system to the license for the Harris system, the same two frequencies are on both systems.
Now what do we do? Wait for a p25 nac that is a Harris type nac and/or a control channel?

Best thing to do would be to keep searching for a P25 control channel. It will sound much different from the Motorola P16 control, although some scanners mute the P25 control channels when searching.

Dave

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
... although some scanners mute the P25 control channels when searching.

Dave
That makes sense. I was unable to find the CC for our Harris system using Search on my 436- it would pass right over them. I ended up locating the control channel manually scrolling through the search range. Afterwards, I figured out I can use the search range on my 780xlt to locate control channels.

dtscho

Database Admin
According to a document asking for additional time to construct the Albemarle/Charlottesville system, this is going to be an eight-site Harris P25 system. The names of the sites are in this document, and they're supposed to be on-air between August and October.

Four western ten-frequency sites are under WRFH243 and four eastern ten-frequency sites are under WRDL461. The western and eastern sites are not using the same frequencies, so it looks like we're going to have a "West Simulcast" and an "East Simulcast."

Dave

dtscho

Database Admin
Interestingly, West Simulcast and East Simulcast are not showing each other as neighbors (at least not yet). This info is from DSD+ Fast Lane.

Dave

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I just got this from DSD+ Fast Lane. This is from 851.4375, which is the current control channel for "East Simulcast."

This info was helpful for someone trying to program a radio for Louisa, so maybe it'll be useful for you.

Dave

View attachment 100659

And this is why it always has to be read off the air for Harris Systems. Rarely do they ever use the same band plan. Thanks!