Albemarle TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcgrotz

Turned on the scanner yesterday and once again, no control channel found. It seems they frequently change the CC assignment. I have put in the main and alternates plus a couple of others. I guess I'm going to have to put ALL of their assigned freqs in the CC list.

Anybody else noticing this, and is there any reason why?

CCHLLM

It's like potholes. See, at night when you're asleep, they go out and rearrange 'em so you can't memorize 'em, and they turn some of 'em upside down and make bumps out of 'em. It's a game.

Yeah, I know, that wasn't a useful answer, but the CC shuffle sure seems like a game sometimes. Last time I was in C-ville I heard nothing on the system and figured the CC shuffle had taken place because my radio was working fine on other stuff. Later today and tomorrow AM while I'm in C-ville, I'll monitor and see what I find. Guess I'd better program all the CCs in and give it a shot. If you see a silver Ranger FX4 with a NC license plate and numerous antennas, wave, it's me.

K4CBH

Last edited:

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
Hello Everybody,

I too noticed that recently. I'm going to e-mail my contact at ECC and see what's up with that. The control channel that has been coming up for me is 856.2625. I'm still having issues with completely losing the system around the Fashion Square mall area especially E Rio Rd and losing the system right around Holiday Inn Exxon on Emmet St N. It just starts scanning all the frequencies and can't track the system. I am using an Antennex ASCANC antenna with a BC796D. Any help?

CVASSB

Oh no. Not again. Im really hating these changes. My GRE PSR 800 is not working very well right now. It's not downloading updates. I think that it's a problem with this old computer that I'm using.

gcgrotz

Hey Andrew:

Both of those areas you named are saturated with 800 MHz cellular and it probably "de-senses" the front end of your scanner, which typically has less selectivity due to the need for a more broadbanded reception. A commercial or public safety radio can (and does) have a narrower bandwidth.

A good example of this is if you listen on your car AM radio to 1260 and drive by the tower at Park St and Melbourne it will seem to get quieter due to the strong 1450 signal there. That is de-sense.

As for 856.2625 being the CC, I thought I had that in the list but I will have to check. Usually what happens is if it can't find the CC, I don't feel like messing with it while driving and just turn it off. I think when I get time, I will just add every channel they have a license for!

gcgrotz

I'll keep an eye out. I'm driving a white Chevy pickup with a shell on the back. Only 2 antennas, one on the roof, the other on the door edge driver's side. Have you ever been to a meeting of the Albemarle Amateur Radio Club?

It's like potholes. See, at night when you're asleep, they go out and rearrange 'em so you can't memorize 'em, and they turn some of 'em upside down and make bumps out of 'em. It's a game.

Yeah, I know, that wasn't a useful answer, but the CC shuffle sure seems like a game sometimes. Last time I was in C-ville I heard nothing on the system and figured the CC shuffle had taken place because my radio was working fine on other stuff. Later today and tomorrow AM while I'm in C-ville, I'll monitor and see what I find. Guess I'd better program all the CCs in and give it a shot. If you see a silver Ranger FX4 with a NC license plate and numerous antennas, wave, it's me.

K4CBH

CCHLLM

I haven't been to an amateur radio meeting in Albemarle, but it could happen. I'm in and out of C-ville quite often and do monitor the airwaves between W-S and C-ville as I travel.

I did notice Friday night and Sat that the 800 system has a few "soft" spots in the Emmet St/Barracks Rd area, but it sounded more like multipath than desense might be the problem.

gcgrotz

The club meets on the second Tuesday every month, short business part and then a program. If you find yourself in town you are welcome to come by. Check in on 146.76 to get directions.

We do have some multi-path problems around town, I used to live downtown and had the same problem with analog UHF-TV where the strong signal from Carter's Mt was bouncing off all the buildings. It was cured with a good high f/b ratio antenna even before TV went digital.

What Andrew mentioned is likely a mix of both 800 cellular carriers PLUS Nextel all close together up by Hydraulic and Rio Rd on 29.

gcgrotz

Well, I found one problem, I had 857 instead of 856.7375 in the CC list. Since that's what they were using, I wasn't getting anything. Works better now!

Status
Not open for further replies.