Alberta Sheriff 800 Mhz System

Status
Not open for further replies.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
I have noticed in Edmonton that Traffic Sheriffs now have 3 radios in each car. One Iden MIKE radio, one RCMP radio and one new 800 Mhz P25 radio. While looking at the RR data base I saw 866.475 posted for Lethbridge and 866.3375 for Red Deer Courts.

I put both in and am hearing P25 Simplex operations. 866.3375 is used by the Traffic Sheriffs as sort of a low range chat channel.

I'm hearing the Sheriffs have purchased new Motorola radios that operate on 800 Mhz but can be easily converted to 700 Mhz should the Provincial system go ahead. Apparently the first places to get the units will be Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Calgary, Red Deer and Edmonton. Manulife Edmonton is being considered for a repeater.

Any one in these areas should search the 866 to 869 Mhz area looking for a Motorola Control channel. Then set it for Control Channel only and if anything is happening you should hear it. Parts of the system will be ENC.

Departments scheduled to go on this System are Traffic Sheriff, Courthouse and Legislature Security, Prisoner Transport, FAST (Fugitive Apprehension Street Team and SIS (Strategic Intelligence Support) and SCAN. Perhaps the January 15th closing of the bids for the provincial system will cover this.

Questions come up whether this will go ahead if the merger with the Sherrif and RCMP goes ahead as announced.

Harry

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
For what it's worth, pretty much any company making 800MHz P25 radios is making them "dual band" 800/700 as it's fairly easy to put those two particular bands together. Besides which as you say there's a lot of places with 800 systems that will be migrating to 700 in short order, which makes sense to sell a "dual band" radio in order to keep their sales for the future :)

SCPD

QRT
For what it's worth, pretty much any company making 800MHz P25 radios is making them "dual band" 800/700 as it's fairly easy to put those two particular bands together. Besides which as you say there's a lot of places with 800 systems that will be migrating to 700 in short order, which makes sense to sell a "dual band" radio in order to keep their sales for the future :)

Jay you are correct, All the radio's purchased for the Sheriffs are dual band radios, 800/700 Mhz.

Ding! , Ding!, Ding! a bet been settled.
I wonder who won the bet at the radio shop in Edmonton installing Sheriff radios. "When will someone post on RR the local simplex channel info"
I guess its today!!! Wonder who won,

maplebear

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what frequencies they are using in Calgary now?
I have not heard them on the Calgary digital radio system.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I do see some talkgroups with Sheriffs stuff still active on Calgary. My PSR-800 logged some today which I plan to explore later (gotta love that record function!).

For the Highway Patrol guys I generally hear them on RCMP PACS frequencies.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Agree with Jay911

Still some on Calgary Digital [court realted mostly], although haven't heard any traffic enforcement lately, but could be weather related. Lot more activity with RCMP.

beeperboy

Still some on Calgary Digital [court realted mostly], although haven't heard any traffic enforcement lately, but could be weather related. Lot more activity with RCMP.

Yes, prisoner transport will have 800 MHz, but the HP Sheriffs no longer use 800MHz or Mike.

BB

Status
Not open for further replies.