Alberta Sheriff Highway Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricsheep

Oh yeah, SGPS......Get to work! There is stuff and things you should be doing, what ever you guys do.

Regards,
Richster.

What do you think the organizational security sections of these different agencies (and believe me, they all have one), do? All day long they just look at their particular agency FROM THE OUTSIDE, not from what they have access to on the inside. Their job is to evaluate officer safety risks etc from things like punks posting gizmos that supposedly defeat tasers, counter-surveillance techniques, how to monitor communications... you name it.

Their job is to come to places like RR (and a dozen other places) and see if anyone is talking about how to monitor them...

Bravo1

As a tax paying citizen of this great country - it is my RIGHT to listen.

Our tax dollars pay for thier infrastructure and salaries and they work for us - the people.

On the thread note - I agree, the Sheriff's are dull, when I caught them last Friday, it was a group of three or four of them talking about plans to meet at Swiss Chalet on 162nd by the Zellers in Shawnessy. One guy was just finishing up a ticket on a violator and needed about 10 minutes to start his way over and from there they were going to head South towards Okotoks.

I promptly locked them out of the system and got back to the real action on Fire, EMS and CPS channels.

Jay911 - I must admit, you're radio professionalism is second to none - it's nice to listen to someone who appreciates thier crews and the crews appreciate you.

Bravo1

electricsheep

As a tax paying citizen of this great country - it is my RIGHT to listen.
Bravo1

Uh? :confused: Are you high? Your definition of your rights is so skewed you obviously have no idea what your rights actually are. You have no "rights" at all to listen to anything. Next you will probably be wanting access to the police department PBX so you can monitor all their phone calls. Don't forget about accessing all their emails either while you are fulfilling your rights to know what they are doing.

Back to the discussion of sheriffs, here in Edmonton, close to all we get for sheriffs are requests over their really low power UHF frequencies to "open the bay door" of the courthouse when bringing in prisoners in the PTV.

That's... about it. I suspect the sheriffs covert surveillance unit, ASIRT and the many many many other specialized units of the SOLGEN are using a combination of iDen and P25 encrypted 800 mhz frequencies that keep popping up now and then.

Bravo1

MatteBlack - No disrepect here at all; but the next time you assume someone is "high" - think about what you say before you say it, I find that comment extremely offensive.

As for my comment - I standby it - if it were illegal then how in the world would we be able to purchase these radios to "listen" in on our Public Servants...

Remember - your tax money is spent on protecting you and with that comes rights and responsibilities to you, the citizen, and you do have the right to know what departmental staff are doing.

And before you answer, MatteBlack- I'd prefer you keep your comments to yourself - I have no interest in validating your opinions.

Bravo1

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
C'mon, guys, keep it civil please.. I may not do much moderating, but if needed, I certainly can.

SCPD

QRT
You know, I'm not surprised at all that any law establishment would monitor this forum. They know where we meet, they know who we are. Heck some of the people we meet with are part of the team (dispatchers, firefighters, radio techs ect..) I can comfortably say that everyone I have met in person so far is a responsible adult using scanners as both a hobby and a tool for there profession.

I feel safer having a scanner by my bed side when I hear halks fly over my house, I like to know when the bank down the road from my house just got robbed. In many cases anything the police, fire and ems don't want people to hear they use cell phones or cad systems. I don't know anyone associated with Calgary area scanning who has attempted to watch or listen to anything past what we are "Allowed" to listen to via scanners. Why? because we are not interested in abusing the system...

If I hear something close to my house, I listen and watch for suspects but I don't go chasing after rouge cars and join in the hunt. Thats not my place.. Chances are at 6 o'clock news i'm going to be getting the same "Be on the look out for. ____________" that I heard hours earlier on the radio.

I think by now the law agencies know who are the big bad guys, who are the gangs with radios. I don't think they care much when traffic 1,2,3 are sitting in there cars talking hockey or what they are going to eat in the area. This is because they are waiting for there quota of speeding cars, not talking about the next drug bust.

9.9/10 other then surveillance and the odd time Tac.. you hear nothing of critical importance that could cause alarm or them to blow an operation. Police and law are not stupid they know how easy it is for the wrong people to get a scanner.

But they also know that many of us and our small knit community on this board use our scanners and radios for the greater good in the end.

An example of this was a car accident I was first on scene to outside of Vulcan, My scanner was tuned to RCMP and prov amb as soon as the 911 call was placed I sat with an injured victim and I assured her help was on the way. She was able to hear the help coming which calmed her down significantly.

Fire nets and Hams are another significant reason for scanning and radio. I could go on and on... just my two cents. If I ever see suspect A___________ running down the street after a car jacking, Id be the first on the horn with police, not joining in the pursuit. I guess the point i'm trying to drive home is that its not shocking that agency's monitor this board. There could be tips, leads or even something they missed written here. We are all responsible and smart enough that we don't post any names or critical information on this public access forum.

Long living scanning and god speed to our local agencies for keeping us safe.

Sorry if I got a little off topic or carried away. :)

electricsheep

MatteBlack - No disrepect here at all; but the next time you assume someone is "high" - think about what you say before you say it, I find that comment extremely offensive.

As for my comment - I standby it - if it were illegal then how in the world would we be able to purchase these radios to "listen" in on our Public Servants...

Remember - your tax money is spent on protecting you and with that comes rights and responsibilities to you, the citizen, and you do have the right to know what departmental staff are doing.

And before you answer, MatteBlack- I'd prefer you keep your comments to yourself - I have no interest in validating your opinions.

Bravo1

I apologize for suggesting you might have been high, it was out of line in retrospect.

But honestly, we have NO right to listen to anything, and that sort of thinking can potentially lead to getting yourself in some sticky legal crap. As pointed out many times before, just because we CAN monitor something, does not mean we SHOULD or are LEGALLY allowed to. Read the radio and telecommunications acts, and you will see what I mean. We have to be self policing, or at least, very discrete. The last thing you would want to do is incriminate yourself in a public forum... Charges are unlikely, but entirely possible.

Think of what you are suggesting; full unfettered access to all law enforcement communications, no matter how sensitive and operationally relevant to EVERYONE, just because we pay taxes. You may know everyone (even people finding posts here through Google) who views posts on these forums, I don't. Do you realize how much this would cripple everyone working on the street? There's even a basic reason why things even the channel used for CPIC and warrant checks in Edmonton are digital and more private, they're called PRIVACY laws amongst others.

And before I answer keep my comments to myself?? You are in the wrong place friend, this is a forum meant for discussion, not supression of comments or ideas. You are the one big on rights, where's my right to say what I think on the issue? Thanks for the offer, but I don't need you to "validate" my opinions.

richster

What do you think the organizational security sections of these different agencies (and believe me, they all have one), do? All day long they just look at their particular agency FROM THE OUTSIDE, not from what they have access to on the inside. Their job is to evaluate officer safety risks etc from things like punks posting gizmos that supposedly defeat tasers, counter-surveillance techniques, how to monitor communications... you name it.

Their job is to come to places like RR (and a dozen other places) and see if anyone is talking about how to monitor them...

Ha! I was being sarcastic in my "get back to work" statement, thinking these guys must have better things to do but to scour the forums on RR all day. But if that's what they do, then where the hell is SGPS's HR department? WOW, to think I could actually get paid to type this! :wink:

Regards,
Richster.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Sheriffs above people

I was upset when the Flames received the H1N1 ahead of mortal people. I was just as upset this afternoon [1720] when a couple of Sheriffs were caught in a local traffic tie-up. They said to just turn on their emergency lights and get through the traffic tie-up. OK, if they were really responding to or had an emergency, that's fine. But just to get ahead of people who were stuck in the traffic longer then them? I don't think this is appropriate. This wasn't encrypted, but it just supports my suspicions on what really happens with encryption or why Police want encryption!

andix

and people above the law

when some people abuse a few rights, those in charge remove the rights. when rights are removed, it's up to the ones in charge to start abusing the rest of the people.

it is all happening because Government X and Agency Y find it easier to just pull a plug or two instead of going after the ones who abused the rights in the first place. and the law-abiding vast majority of others always has to pay the price, while the abusers never get punished and mind about their own anyways.

I am not saying anything new here. it is just a reminder that we, as human race, have the nasty habit of empowering those who, in turn, become our enslavers.

scanner-wise, if I'm not mistaken there is a provision in the Canadian law saying that as long as you don't disclose what you can intercept, you're free to intercept. I guess it's up to ourselves to keep it that way: this is a right and my first paragraph explains what happens if we abuse it.

forgive me for sharing my wisdom in my first post on this forum. I have the excuse of being born and raised in a place with virtually no rights, and I just hate it when I see rights going down the drain in Canada.

regards,
andix

Status
Not open for further replies.