Alberta Wide Radio Communications, revisited (it just won't die)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I know we now have some pretty solid news regarding the RCMP in the "RCMP changes" thread, but check out the following PDF I happened across while doing a Google search tonight for something unrelated.

Alberta First Responders Radio Communication System Survey

For those not able or interested to open a PDF:

Two Provincial Departments, Solicitor General and Public Security, and Restructuring and Government Efficiency, are taking the lead along with first response agencies to implement a province-wide first responders radio communications system for public safety providers.

I have to get some early rest before working at oh-god-hundred hours, so I'm going to wait till tomorrow to peek at the survey. But I figured it might be of interest here.

Last edited:

DX-300

I see that document was sent out much earlier (Aug 2) than a story I read on QR's site a few days ago about the Alberta Government getting a request to form a Provincial Ambulance service, but it makes me wonder if these 2 projects are planned to go hand in hand with eachother or if they'll go their own separate ways. Here's the story:

Klein Government Asked To Create Provincial Ambulance Service
Sep, 19 2006 - 10:50 PM

CALGARY/AM770CHQR

There is a call for the government to set up a provincial ambulance service.
The Health Sciences Association of Alberta says it would ensure the same level of service in all corners of the province.
Spokesman David Kirkham says to achieve the goal, the government needs to pay more than the $55 million in the budget.
Kirkham says the extra money would be used to provide certified paramedics throughout the province.
The association would also like to see health regions put in charge of ambulance service instead of municipalities.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
DX-300 said:
the Alberta Government getting a request to form a Provincial Ambulance service

Hmm. I'm not so sure these are related. They might be timed to proceed at similar rates, mind you - and if that's what your point was, apologies for misinterpreting it. :)

It's interesting the wordage of the article doesn't make reference to the fact that the Klein government was already making this happen a couple of years back. We were actually within a few days of the cutover when the province had decreed that health regions would take over from municipalities when the province realized that they had no idea of how to run an ambulance service, had grossly underbudgeted the plan across the entire province, and generally was setting themselves up to bring absolute and utter chaos into the industry. They had cities who had bought into the plan entirely, who had removed the EMS line from their budgets for the following year on the promise from the province that they would be picking up the tab. The $55m quoted above was the entire budget for the project for the province. The only smart thing about the plan was that Health Minister Iris Evans shut it down a couple days before cutover to "re-examine" the whole thing.

From the looks of the article, they've completed their "re-examination".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.