Albuquerque police and Albuquerque fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

car55

Banned for duplicate accounts
Banned
I have a question about Albuquerque police and Albuquerque fire.

First question is Albuquerque fire do they call out over the radio like other FD in some cities like on the way , on the seen , clear seen , going from station x to station y or is this done on the MDT or computer if they have one in the truck

And the fireground is that done on simplex or on main system that you can hear .

Now when it comes to police what area do they cover ? Is it just the city of Albuquerque or is it other cities and towns ? The reason I say this is Albuquerque city proper has population of 545,852 the metropolitan population of 907,775 .

The Albuquerque police do they cover city proper or do they cover other areas where the population is higher? The reason I say this is do to such high call volume like 3 times higher for city of that population and having 6 Area Commands zones like Foothills ,Valley ,Northeast ,Northwest ,Southeast and Southwest.

I have been to other cities with population of 500,000 people and other cities 600,00 people that have only 2 Area Commands !!

NMPhillieFan

I have a question about Albuquerque police and Albuquerque fire.

First question is Albuquerque fire do they call out over the radio like other FD in some cities like on the way , on the seen , clear seen , going from station x to station y or is this done on the MDT or computer if they have one in the truck

And the fireground is that done on simplex or on main system that you can hear.

They use MDT's for most traffic on minor calls but still occasionally use the radio, especially if they are having MDT issues. For fires where they are using a TAC channel, they call out over the air "enroute", "on scene", etc so all units on scene know their status. Fireground operations, like dispatch, are handled on the Trunked Radio System.
Now when it comes to police what area do they cover ? Is it just the city of Albuquerque or is it other cities and towns ? The reason I say this is Albuquerque city proper has population of 545,852 the metropolitan population of 907,775 .

The Albuquerque police do they cover city proper or do they cover other areas where the population is higher? The reason I say this is do to such high call volume like 3 times higher for city of that population and having 6 Area Commands zones like Foothills ,Valley ,Northeast ,Northwest ,Southeast and Southwest.

I have been to other cities with population of 500,000 people and other cities 600,00 people that have only 2 Area Commands !!

APD covers the City of Albuquerque. They can provide mutual aid to Bernalillo County or Rio Rancho (or other areas for air support, ERT, Bomb Squad, etc), but their primary response area is just the city.

car55

Banned
APD covers the City of Albuquerque. They can provide mutual aid to Bernalillo County or Rio Rancho (or other areas for air support, ERT, Bomb Squad, etc), but their primary response area is just the city.[/QUOTE]

Using wikipedia it saying Albuquerque city population is 545,852 . So if the Albuquerque police take on city proper a population is 545,852 they have alot of calls .

Some cities I'm used to with population of 500,000 people and other cities 600,00 people only have 2 Area commands . So that is why I thought may be Albuquerque police do not cover the city proper do to having so many area commands like 3 times more for city that population and 3 times the call volume.

Is there map here showing the area commands .

May be it just the crime is really high and they get lots of calls to explain so many area commands and high call volume.

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
Albuquerque is the biggest city in New Mexico and I have lived in New mexico for 10 years now and long enough to learn most the people in this state.... well I will be nice and say that New Mexico is special. I came from Ft Worth TX and let me tell you the laws in TX work. The laws here are a joke. Yep I said joke. Really when I need a good laugh I will watch the news and see who got away with doing what today. I feel sorry for the police here as they bust there *** trying to keep us safe but the dam courts just set them free again and again and again. At least APD is not afraid to shoot the stupid ones. Enough said I will get off my soap box.

APD has there hands full and I think they are doing a great job. Thanks guys.

NMPhillieFan

Is there map here showing the area commands .

APD | Area Command

Click on each area command it will have their beat map.

It basically goes like this:

West of the Rio Grande:

N of I-40 - Northwest Area
S of I-40 - Southwest Area

East of the Rio Grande:

W of I-25 - Valley Area
E of I-25, N of I-40, W to Eubank - Northeast Area
E of I-25, S of I-40, W to Eubank - Southeast Area
E of Eubank - Foothills Area

Last edited:

abqscan

DataBase Administrator

The city is very spread out and isn't very dense like other cities. Thats why there are so many area commands. To give you a sense of how spread out the city is, the fire department is responsible for over 180 square miles. Thus why there are so many command areas.

car55

Banned
The city is very spread out and isn't very dense like other cities. Thats why there are so many area commands. To give you a sense of how spread out the city is, the fire department is responsible for over 180 square miles. Thus why there are so many command areas.

How big are the police stations? It was the norm in the older days to have lots of police stations and the police stations being small and now the the norm is to have very big police stations and less police stations .

Some older cities will have area commands that cover only 50,000 people !!! Yet some area commands that cover 250,00 or 300,000 people in the suburbs with lower crime.

The call volume is like 3 times higher so it would make sense to have 3 times more police and 3 times more area commands .

I believe that Miami and some areas in Fort Lauderdale have even higher crime rate and the area commands that take on even less people !!!

Lebowski

OG Member
Premium Subscriber
I believe that Miami and some areas in Fort Lauderdale have even higher crime rate and the area commands that take on even less people !!!

Albuquerque makes the top ten for highest per capita crime rates on most lists. I think that's what it boils down to, this isn't exactly a safe place to live and the police are very busy and still understaffed. They are fairly small stations, one per area command.

car55

Banned
Albuquerque makes the top ten for highest per capita crime rates on most lists. I think that's what it boils down to, this isn't exactly a safe place to live and the police are very busy and still understaffed. They are fairly small stations, one per area command.

Yes I was shocked at all calls coming in every hour for city that size . I have been to other cities with 500,000 people and other cities 600,000 people and the call volume does not even come close.

For the crime rate so high is that do to gang problem in Albuquerque ?

Lebowski

OG Member
Premium Subscriber
I guess it's a combination of things, proximity to the border and major highway intersection for drug activity...then a high rate of substance abuse (including alcohol) combined with a low median income / high rate of poverty. I wouldn't say our gang problem is any different than other SW cities like Phoenix or Denver.

I'm a native, so I know how to stay out of trouble and where not to be. You'll notice that the vast majority of priority calls happen in the SE and SW area commands. NE is a close third, that's because it is the largest command with the largest cross-section of good and bad neighborhoods. Foothills and NW are pretty quiet aside from the occasional domestic.

NMFreq

You nailed it Lebowski. Indigent population hooked on drugs and alcohol living lives of crime to support habits. Down south here in Las Cruces it's the same story just a smaller population and closer to the border.

For a city of 95,000 we already have 2 police area commands and a 6 station fire department that runs on 17,000 calls annually.

car55

Banned
You nailed it Lebowski. Indigent population hooked on drugs and alcohol living lives of crime to support habits. Down south here in Las Cruces it's the same story just a smaller population and closer to the border.

For a city of 95,000 we already have 2 police area commands and a 6 station fire department that runs on 17,000 calls annually.

I cannot hear feeds now of Albuquerque for some reason ??

Also that may play a big part is some cities like shoplifting , theft ,fraud ,cold B&E ,suspicious person , suspicious car ,noise complaints ,alarm , person drinking in car , person drinking in parking lot /park , person doing drugs in car , person doing drugs in parking lot /park , house party ,car accident no injuries so fire and EMS not going is sent over the computer and not over the radio .

But I will put things in perspective I have gone to some city with population of 500,000 with two area commands and on average with city population 500,000 get 2 robbery calls and 3 drug calls , 3 B&E calls in a 8 hours !! So not sure how this compares to Albuquerque .

For a city of 95,000 we already have 2 police area commands and a 6 station fire department that runs on 17,000 calls annually..

Is there lot of natives in Albuquerque or are they mostly in the SE Albuquerque ?

Also does Albuquerque have big problem with drugs and alcohol way more than most cities even LA and Phoenix if so that may also explain the high call volume.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.