Albuquerque Police Testing new Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matakovich1

I have worked for several places that tried those radios. They are not P25. But they may be trunked. May have MDC1200 and are not FPP.

Fowler

Premium Subscriber
Just as a note it looks like a "Diamond" antenna....

SCPD

QRT
Funny. Lately they been in spotlight for altering records/lapel footage to public thiugh media focused on lapel issue over the rest, some other things (not surprising) that haven't made the public end which they are being investigated for. For a department who has federal insight and investigations going on they sure know how to keep getting attention.

They have been contemplating disbanding APD and BCSO and making one large Metropolitan agency for police and fire similiar to Las Vegas Nevada. Though in this case disbanding won't solve money issues, personnel issues, internal crime, etc. Since the same players will be around. The talk is if this occured they would share costs and fleet equipment, expanding districts making them larger to fit the county. In reality people would expect faster service however it'll be same under new image. Allot of shenanigans going on up there from what I hear, allot not made public. I wouldn't be surprised if they went to your ultra secret club back pack radio setup like pictured. ;)

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Albuquerque and BernCo have talked merging in various forms over the years. Typically, it never really gets past the "research" phase. I think this latest round of "research" into merging just the Public Safety functions will end up the same way, although there are some real nice benefits to the merger.

APD is better funded, but suffers from leadership and image issues. BCSO has great leadership, but suffers from lack of funding.

bigred6695

I used to be able to listen to APD on my scanner but I cant anymore. Is this new radio testing the reason why?

ChrisABQ

Where are you located bigred? APD and BCSO are still on the edacs provoice system. You need a digital scanner that allows for the upgrade to hear provoice.

bigred6695

I'm in albuquerque. I've had my radio for a few years now. I hadn't listened to it in about a year so the other day I charged it up and powered it on. I have tried several of the channels and I'm only hearing talk on some of the stations. I mostly wanted to listen in the NE because that's my neighborhood but after 10 min nothing came on. Surely something would have been said in that amount of time. I have it on again tonight.

Fowler

Premium Subscriber
What kind of "radio" do you have? APD is on a Harris Provoice system. Most older scanners arent capable of receiving Provoice.

bigred6695

Its a macom 700p.

I left it on for awhile last night and still didn't get any talk from the NE channel. The others seem to be working fine though.

bigred6695

I'm not too sure. I had the radio programmed for me.

Other than reading here in the forum, what is the best way for me to learn more about scanners and also programming them? I'm really starting from scratch here and would like to get a better understanding of everything. If there is a particular book you'd recommend please let me know.

I appreciate all of the replies/help.

ChrisABQ

There is TONS of informational videos on youtube. As I run the Bernalillo County feed, I can confirm there is traffic on NE area command all day and night.

Status
Not open for further replies.