ALCO fire question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

csuh13

Premium Subscriber
Is there a list out there of what stations the different fire "unit numbers" (ie 3549, etc...) correlate to?

Is there an easy way to figure it out (short of driving to each station and peeking in the door at the numbers on the trucks?)

akardam

The Kelty Green Book has a (partial) listing. I'll dig it out this evening.

Ben96cal

go to my site and look under the alco feed. has a list and location.. what units are you particularly interested in?

csuh13 said:
Is there a list out there of what stations the different fire "unit numbers" (ie 3549, etc...) correlate to?

Is there an easy way to figure it out (short of driving to each station and peeking in the door at the numbers on the trucks?)

Ben96cal

all alco units have the "34" designator. third letter is the type of equipment. Ie. for alco 40 and 50 is first line engine 60 is reserve engine or type III engine. 70 is a truck. 80 is a patrol and 90 is specialized. ie. hazmat, water tender, boat. chiefs are 0-30

Ben96cal said:
go to my site and look under the alco feed. has a list and location.. what units are you particularly interested in?

csuh13

Premium Subscriber
Ben96cal said:

The link on your page pulls up a "file not found." :(

I'm not looking for anything in particular, but knowing which units were assigned to where would be handy.

kq6jz

Numbering system Bed96cal described is used by all fire agencies in Alameda County. For example, 2541 is "25" for Oakland, "4" indicating an engine, and "1" for station 1. 2557 would be Oakland's engine 17. They all went to that numbering system after the Tunnel Road Fire which burned thousands of homes in the Oakland/Berkeley Hills. There was significant confusion when several "engine 1"'s responded to the same incident. (Yes, there were many other problems...)

Status
Not open for further replies.