ALEA changes??

Status
Not open for further replies.

f2shooter

Evening all,

First time back here after being away for a bit over a year. I've been scanning one way or another since high school, mostly in the news business but these days just for myself. I rediscovered the troopers in Alabama a few years back and found most of the frequencies from Huntsville south past Dothan. Lately though I've not been hearing much of it on any scanner, digital or analog. So far as I know they haven't encrypted anything and I do hear them from time to time. Has something changed or are they just talking less? Normally I can pick them up from Birmingham down to Dothan without a problem with Opelika and Montgomery being easy. Lately though it seems they have dropped off the planet.

Rick H.

TomServo

Their frequency in the Mobile area has been pretty dead for a while, too. All I hear anymore is the Morse code ID every so often and an occasional bout of one way chatter. I just figured the local troop already migrated to the 700 MHz P25 system that's been active here for a long time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
At the hairdresser's, past the liquor store.
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=844

The short answer is that all three channel pairs used by state troopers for the past fifteen years or so are still used but in different configurations. Add 154.8075 MHz for the Shoals Area and 154.9275 for Gadsden and you’ll have all the frequencies in use statewide by patrol. Those eight should always be programmed while travelling in Alabama

Repeaters were added a couple of years ago. The former duplex channel pairs (six frequencies total) are now repeater inputs and outputs without regard to their former use as base to car or vice versa.

Plus side; now the cars are easier to hear. That is, when field units can hit the repeater. Then, communication is via cellular phone. That’s quite often, I hear. Perhaps that's why folks aren't hearing much via scanner.

Frequencies changed in some areas. The database link above shows current usage.

In addition to their use as inputs/outputs, 158.790 MHz is the statewide car to car and 159.210 MHz is Special Detail channel. Tones keep everything sorted out.

VLAW-31, 155.475 MHz, is used for various operations as is Alabama Inter-Operations 155.010 MHz.

ALEA/DPS has several more frequencies licensed. Maybe some of the aforementioned gaps may be found there?

FCC license KA2108 will list all frequencies.

emcom

I think they were having some issues Saturday. I heard them trying to raise units on the Dutton and Ft. Payne towers and discussing calling the radio engineer. I'd imagine that narrow banding didn't help Troopers coverage one bit.

As a side note, I keep hoping they will go back to the blue door decals. The gold ones are ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.