Logs Algeria on 13790 Khz

TAC4

-SOH XI WANG ZHI SHENG, Miaoli Country Taiwan ๐Ÿ‡ผ๐Ÿ‡ธ 15970 Khz 14:32 GMT S3/5 bars in Chinese

Notes
-great signal and audio
-using Microsoft translate app, radio hosts talking about the US Open

markclark

Premium Subscriber
-RADIO CARIO, Abis Egypt, 9885 Khz 23:30 GMT S3/5 bars in Arabic
Station being jammed by a strong carrier signal as a result has poor modulation.
I'm in western USA, you're much closer to Cairo, but a good catch! Maybe this fall or winter I'll receive Cairo.

TAC4

Who would jam Radio Cairo?
I did some research they are not being jammed but there transmitters are in need of major repairs. There signal is super wide at 40 Khz and they are off frequency. Article is from HFunderground website. What a shame because there signal is strong. There audio is super distorted ๐ŸŽค

Skippy ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

TAC4

Good DX catch

-IFRIKYA FM, Bechar Algeria ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฟ 9470 Khz 03:48 GMT S0/5 bars in Arabic.

Notes
-station playing local music in Arabic
-signal weak and down in the noise floor but can easily make out the music and language

TAC4

Nice DX catch

-RADIO REPUBLICA, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, 9490 Khz 01:58 GMT S3/5 in Spanish

Notes
-nice strong signal with good audio
-station using transmitter network in Issoudun FRANCE ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ต

TAC4

-CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL via Quivican Cuba ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡บ 9790 Khz 03:49 GMT S5/5 bars in English.

Notes
-big signal, great audio
-radio hosts talking about Hong Kong

Skippy ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

TAC4

-RADIO KOREA (KBS World Radio) Kimjae Korea ๐Ÿ‡ฐ๐Ÿ‡ท 15575 Khz 1436 UTC S1/5 in Korean

Notes
-weak signal but readable
-kp index was 3 (green condition)
-using Microsoft translate app radio hosts talking about health science

Skippy ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

TAC4

-ALL INDIA RADIO, Bengaluru India ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ณ 15050 Khz 0017 UTC S0/5 bars in Chinese

Notes
-weak signal with distorted audio down in the noise floor but can easily make out India music
-Kp index was 2 (green condition)
-signal is to weak to use Microsoft translate app

Last edited:

KB0VWG

Nice signal coming from Ourargia into Ontario Canada tonight. 1379O Khz 8:33 EST in Arabic.
I am using an Eton Elite Field radio with the back of the set antenna and Microsoft's translate app.
Also no RF devices in the shack, batteries only in the radio. This combo is epic for shortwave DX.
My tablet has zero effect on my set.

Skippy
Skippy

How well does the Microsoft translator work? Do you have to select the language or does it select it for you and how close is the mic to the speaker?

kb0vwg

TAC4

Skippy

How well does the Microsoft translator work? Do you have to select the language or does it select it for you and how close is the mic to the speaker?

kb0vwg
The Microsoft translate app works amazingly well for shortwave.
It's a game changer due to the fact there is very little english speaking content left on shortwave. Using this app will open up huge DX possibilities.

I wanted to take the hobby in a different direction over last 20 years instead of the same old 100 foot long wire antenna outside and the high S9 noise floor, desk top radios and listening to repeats of brother Stir was getting old lol god rest his soul lol.

I think the ultralight way with a the new DSP portable Field Radios and using just the telescoping antenna and placing that radio in a near zero RFI environment weather it be in your house and unplugging RFI devices, sitting in your back yard or going to a park is the way to go if your goal is DX shortwave broadcast stations. Just my opinion.

So I have found solutions to the three things that plague our hobby,

1) High man made RFI environments.

2) Lack of english speaking programs.

3) Weak signals down in the noise floor due to lack of beam service to North America.

Ironically if you fix the first issue you will fix the third issue and you will be able to hear all that great DX down in the NATURAL noise floor. Back to your question, I DX just like everyone else by turning the dial very slowly which (mute tuning) forces us to do lol. When I tune in a station I enter that frequency into the SHORTWAVE INFO web site to get the exact language.

With my tablets mic placed around 6 inches from my radio speaker the app will ask you what language from a drop down
menu once you press the green mic button on the app you will start getting real time text in English. If it cuts out just hit the mic button again no big deal. TIP get a little stand from Amazon so your phone or tablet can sit in the vertical position on desk so it's easy to read and you don't have to hold it all the time to your radios speaker. Also note I turn my tablet speaker off because
the app will do audio speech after the text and that causes a delay I want text only.

Sorry for the long winded reply but this will show the relationship between the translate app and putting a modern shortwave (Field Radio) in a very low RFI environment. Hopefully it will give some noobs (not saying you are a noob) some insite to this new approach to such a great hobby that once was and still is. Nothing worse than a noob getting a brand new shortwave radio from Amazon, turning it on and tuning around the SW band and hearing nothing but static. Boxing it back up and sending back to Amazon and quitting the hobby.

All along it was just the coffee maker in standby mode wiping out the whole Shortwave band or the band was closed (propagation) and would be open in another hour. Something to think about.

Skippy ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

Last edited:

TAC4

Last edited:

KB0VWG

The Microsoft translate app works amazingly well for shortwave.
It's a game changer due to the fact there is very little english speaking content left on shortwave. Using this app will open up huge DX possibilities.

I wanted to take the hobby in a different direction over last 20 years instead of the same old 100 foot long wire antenna outside and the high S9 noise floor, desk top radios and listening to repeats of brother Stir was getting old lol god rest his soul lol.

I think the ultralight way with a the new DSP portable Field Radios and using just the telescoping antenna and placing that radio in a near zero RFI environment weather it be in your house and unplugging RFI devices, sitting in your back yard or going to a park is the way to go if your goal is DX shortwave broadcast stations. Just my opinion.

So I have found solutions to the three things that plague our hobby,

1) High man made RFI environments.

2) Lack of english speaking programs.

3) Weak signals down in the noise floor due to lack of beam service to North America.

Ironically if you fix the first issue you will fix the third issue and you will be able to hear all that great DX down in the NATURAL noise floor. Back to your question, I DX just like everyone else by turning the dial very slowly which (mute tuning) forces us to do lol. When I tune in a station I enter that frequency into the SHORTWAVE INFO web site to get the exact language.

With my tablets mic placed around 6 inches from my radio speaker the app will ask you what language from a drop down
menu once you press the green mic button on the app you will start getting real time text in English. If it cuts out just hit the mic button again no big deal. TIP get a little stand from Amazon so your phone or tablet can sit in the vertical position on desk so it's easy to read and you don't have to hold it all the time to your radios speaker. Also note I turn my tablet speaker off because
the app will do audio speech after the text and that causes a delay I want text only.

Sorry for the long winded reply but this will show the relationship between the translate app and putting a modern shortwave (Field Radio) in a very low RFI environment. Hopefully it will give some noobs (not saying you are a noob) some insite to this new approach to such a great hobby that once was and still is. Nothing worse than a noob getting a brand new shortwave radio from Amazon, turning it on and tuning around the SW band and hearing nothing but static. Boxing it back up and sending back to Amazon and quitting the hobby.

All along it was just the coffee maker in standby mode wiping out the whole Shortwave band or the band was closed (propagation) and would be open in another hour. Something to think about.

Skippy ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
Will check it out
Thanks skippy
kb0vwg

TAC4

-RADIO NEW ZEALAND INTERNATIONAL, Ranitaiki New Zealand ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ 7425 Khz 0846 UTC S0/5 bars in English

Notes
-you got to get up pretty early for this DX catch lol because both our country and there's are in the gray line or night at the same time
-weak signal down in the noise floor but can make out local New Zealand music
-kp index was 2 (green condition)

TAC4

2 for 1 lol both station coming in at the same time and frequency

-CHINA RADIO INT. Jinhua China ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ณ 11780 Khz 0023 UTC S1/5 bars in Chinese
-RN DA AMAZONIA Df Brasilia Brazil ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ท 11780 Khz 0023 UTC S1/5 bars in Portuguese

Notes
-not uncommon and happens a lot especially at night with the MW band
-kp index was 2 (green condition)