Alico digital voice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art112

Anyone on the forum have experience with alinco digital voice. Art /K2ADC

W9JY

Premium Subscriber
I have Alinco radios for 2m and 220MHz but they don't have the digital board installed. I'd buy the board for them if I had someone to talk to with it. It may be the best option to go digital on 220MHz as I don't believe any of the other manufacturers offer digital radios for 220MHz.

Art112

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; MB865 Build/6.7.2-226-EDICS-10) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Same here. No one seems interested. Everything at my location is dstar or mototrb. Now yaseu is in the mix.
I tried YouTube to see if there were any audio examples of the alinco digital but there aren't. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; MB865 Build/6.7.2-226-EDICS-10) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Same here. No one seems interested. Everything at my location is dstar or mototrb. Now yaseu is in the mix.

I tried YouTube to see if there were any audio examples of the alinco digital but there aren't. Thanks for your reply.

Alinco tried to do digital, but failed misrably. Poor design, and finicky to set up. There is some reviews on eham about it. None were favourable. I doubt the digital boards are even still available, although I may be wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1047 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Stephen said:
Just to confirm that their digital format is not compatible with anything else on the market correct?

Correct

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
I used to have a 220 radio with the digital board. It worked but audio quality was really poor.
TRBO, P25, D-Star, NXDN/iDAS, etc. are all better choices.

teufler

is any radios digital compatible with another brands digital? I have two of the alincos dr135's with the digital boards and seems there is no standard. ARRL was not stepping forward on a standard. Mine works good, though unless I loan one to someone, there are no others than I can talk to. The audio sounds different but it was understandable.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1047 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

teufler said:
ARRL was not stepping forward on a standard.

ARRL does not have the authority to 'mandate' a digital standard. Even if they. Did there is NOTHING stopping folks from putting up what ever. Flavor of digital protocol that they choose, as long as it is compliant with the allowed emissions permitted by each countries spectrum authority.

Last edited:

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
is any radios digital compatible with another brands digital? I have two of the alincos dr135's with the digital boards and seems there is no standard. ARRL was not stepping forward on a standard. Mine works good, though unless I loan one to someone, there are no others than I can talk to. The audio sounds different but it was understandable.

No, alinco can only talk to alinco...
the ARRL is not going to "mandate" a standard. They also cant. Only the FCC could do that. It would also not be in the spirit of Ham Radio.
DMR/MotoTRBO is as popular as it is because its back by mother M along with some other big companies. D-Star could have taken off but its only supported by Icom and they have done a poor job of marketing it. I also think they did only an ok job implementing it. That's for another discussion...

If you want to really enjoy digital voice you are just going to have to jump on the band wagon of one of the major modes.

Status
Not open for further replies.