Alinco: Alinco DJ-MD5 channel name or frequency display

Status
Not open for further replies.

WD1R

So I have been playing with a new MD5 and what I want is for the display to show the channel names for the repeaters. I am sorry but I just have a really hard time remembering a ton of repeater freqs and besides, when I use DMR I want the display to show Texas ST or Arkansas ST, not 443.800 for both and I have to guess which is which.

Now I can solve this problem by going into the software, optional settings, work mode, and changing display mode from frequency to channel, and life is good! Right? Nope.

This works great right up into I try to switch from memory mode to VFO so I can enter a new freq to play with and the radio refuses and says DISP CH not Support! which I take to mean it can not display the frequency since there is no name.

Can I get around this? Am I looking at the answer and just can't see it? Because if I cant use the names and the VFO without having to reprogram the radio, it is a boat anchor to me and I need to look at a different radio.

WD1R

I want to thank Ken Dorsey - KA8OAD from DX Engineering Sales and Technical Support. He came up with the solution. His workaround is:

"The way around this is to go to the radio menu, Settings -> Radio Set -> (4) Ch,Name and that will let you switch between the channel name and frequency. Switch to frequency (2) FREQ when you want to use the VFO and then switch back to channel names (1) CH when you are using the memories."

He also noted that in the latest firmware upgrade that problem is solved. I upgraded the firmware and it did indeed eliminate the need for workarounds. Radio is working well.

Kaleier1

Thanks for posting this. I am thinking about getting this radio so your post could prove valuable.

WD1R

No problem. I like the radio overall but this was a real sticking point for me. Another radio you might want to look at is the TYT MD-UV380. I have the MD-380 (440 band only) and really like it but want a dual-band. The UV380 is the dual-band version of the 380 so it should be really nice. I like the screen on the Alinco model better, but I like the software and "in hand feel" of the TYT better (size, buttons, etc). YMMV.

Kaleier1

Interesting. The TYT MD-UV380 is actually cheaper than the Alinco. The reason I am interested in the Alinco is the small size, even though it also has a smaller battery. HRO has them for around $129 without GPS and $149 with GPS. The Alinco does seem a little on the thick side so will definitely look at the TYT as the "in hand feel" is important to me as well so am glad you mentioned that and thank you for he link.

By the way, which of these two scans channels better? I heard the Alinco scans slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.