Alinco: Alinco DJ-MD5XLT DMR HT, anyone here own or ued one? Thinking on getting one this year at Dayton.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
hey all. Just wondering, i`m thinking on snagging an Alinco DJ-MD5XLT DMR HT this year at Dayton and i`m just wondering if anyone on her owns one, or has used one and what you think. Is it a worth it radio? One of my friends from the southern part of this state mentioned something about that handheld unit "dosen`t work well on the system", not sure what he might have been referring to, so i`m asking here. I like what i`ve seen with that unit on the HRO website, it looks like a nice radio, but i`m still wondering about it after chatting with my ham friend about it. Things i like about it, one, the display, which is WAY easier to ee for me as i have a mild sight issue (legally blind but functionally sighted), and two, i can use RT Systems software to program it, which will be less of a pain than using the "house" meaning Alinco`s own software, for programming. So with that said, any thoughts? Sorry i`ve not been around lately, we had a major remodel of the apartment building i live in, so things were a bit messy, now finally in my new place in the building :). Thanx for any help and thoughts! 73 DE N9NRA

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I have the original MD5. It's a decent radio, but Alinco didn't support it very well in terms of firmware and CPS updates. My Anytone 878UV is better supported. My Alinco is a little smaller form factor and uses the two-pin Icom accessory format while the Anytone uses the 2-pin Kenwood accessory format.

Unlike Yaesu, Kenwood and Icom, Alinco no longer has a direct USA presence and uses Remtronix as their distributor.

Personally, I prefer my Anytone.

N4KVE

I’ve never liked the CCR’s, & have Moto DMR radios, but at the Orlando HamCation I picked up a mint, used original MD5TGP for $100. I sold some equipment for $500, so I figured I’d gamble $100. I‘m pleasantly surprised with how well it works. Loud RX audio, with nice TX audio too. Called Raj @ Remtronix, & he e-mailed me the newest FW, & CPS. I wouldn’t spend $300 for one, but for $100, I’m pleased. And the display on the Anytone, & Alinco is the same right down to the last icon.

Last edited:

dwhit29689

I have the TGP. I think this is my most useful radio. Only limitation is power, and I have five other radios for that. But for general usage in a repeater covered area they're great. Versatile radio, small & lightweight. Battery good for a full day of comms. Bought XTP for my son. Far less price than the Anytone clone.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
I have the second Generation of this radio love the small form factor and the screen size is great for the size of the radio,the small form factor makes it fell good in your hand and yes the battery last pretty good.........

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Hey thanx all, i`m thinking on snagging the Allinco DMR unit at Dayton this year. Thanx lots for the feedback. Maybe i`ll see some of you at Dayton thi year :). 73. N9NRA

N4KVE

This radio triggers one of my pet peeves about handheld radios: The "0" is in the wrong place. Should be below the "8". ;)
Agreed. But over the years several radio mfr‘s have moved the bottom row of buttons to the right side to make the radio shorter.

MikeMercury

I bought the original offering Alinco DJ-MD5; love it. Just last week I bought the newer XLT version to replace the original and within a couple of days returned rthe XLT. Now I'm back to using the original.

On the XLT, I had issues getting analog APRS-GPS to work right. I got into that trial & error mode trying to get iot to work and finally just gave up. Main problem was that even though the XLT was transmitting coordinates on 144.390... the icon never appeared on APRS.FI

I have 3 other ham radios with analog APRS-GPS and have had no problems getting it to work on them.

With my original model DJ-MD5... APRS-GPS works perfectly through my local DMR repeater; so I'm just going to stick with that.

Since Alinco "changed hands" a few years ago and are now with Remtronics (???)... Alinco support is almost non-existent.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Alinco still exists in Japan. Remtronix is the U.S. importer.

kny2xb

I have the MD5 1st generation, non-GPS as I use it for GMRS, & I like it

It has great receive, & I've never gotten any negatives on my transmit audio

I like that it uses a USB cable to program so I didn't have to buy a proprietary cable for it
I have mine programmed for analog GMRS, & receiving NOAA weather & the rail frequencies,
so I'm good with the factory CPS

I did upgrade the battery from the stock 1700 mAh, I have an after market 2000 mAh & the Alinco 3250 mAh
I can also use those on my DJ-500T/TB's & my A10 & A40

The Alinco hi-cap battery adds only an ounce to the weight & makes the radio a few mm's thicker or deeper,
but I have big hands, so I'm good with it

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
FIX your call sign please?
It's a little presumptuous for you to assume that his forum user name is a callsign and that there's something wrong with it.

Over the years, various shortwave listener and scanner listener publications and organizations have issued unofficial callsigns to monitoring individuals in lieu of an amateur radio callsign. They look a little like amateur radio callsigns, but they aren't.

If you had a problem with someone's user name, the proper thing to do would have been to report the issue to the moderators so they could deal with it.

Now, back to the Alinco DJ-MD5XLT.

K7MFC

WRAA720
I admittedly bought this radio mainly for its small form factor, and really like it. As far as the radio functionality, it does everything I want it to, and works pretty well overall. If you can find one for a good price I would definitely recommend, but I'll also echo what others have said and there is no support from Alinco on this. Fortunately, Remtronix hosts this support page that has all the specs, manuals, software, and a few additional links to some help topics:

The software works fine, no show-stopping bugs that I have noticed, though it is a bit clunky to use. Export/import of most settings can be done via .csv file and you can use an external editor like Excel to quickly bulk edit settings or add/remove channels. I wouldn't expect any support or further updates however, this is most likely abandonware at this point and is probably some other 3rd software package licensed to them.

OhSixTJ

Did you get one? I’m looking at them right now contemplating picking one up as well.

kny2xb

Good Morning to all;

I know this thread is 6 months old, but just to throw this out there:

Alinco has a new model in the MD5 series coming out; the DJ-MD5FXT
Alinco DJ-MD5FXT - Entry level Dual Band DMR - Part 90

I compared the spec sheets between the original MD5T & the MD5FXT; both are "budget" models without GPS/APRS
The main differences that I see are: the FXT has automatic repeater roaming; a 200,000 digital contact list; & 256 bit AES encryption
There may be other differences between the two that I didn't see as I don't use DMR

It's on HRO's website for $174.95, but it's new enough that they're not in stock yet

Just wanted to pass this on

ScannerHam

Does the Alinco MD5FXT allow reception above 480 MHz? The FD in the next town is on 482 MHz and I would like to listen to them. A friend who has another brand of a similar radio says he cannot enter any frequencies above 480 MHz into the radio.

73 Ed - W1ECS

kny2xb

The specification sheet states 136-174 MHz & 400-480 MHz coverage
https://www.remtronix.com/index.php?dispatch=attachments.getfile&attachment_id=77

However, I downloaded the CPS just to play around with it
https://www.remtronix.com/index.php?dispatch=attachments.getfile&attachment_id=83

Under the Model Information menu:
There is a Mode 11 option which covers 136-174 MHz & 400-520 MHz
There is a Mode 12 option which covers 136-174 MHz & 400-490 MHz

If the MD5FXT is like my MD5T, you would have to hold the PTT button & 1 key at the same time while powering up the radio to enter the test mode, & then select the frequency range that you want
I can change my operating mode from that point, the modes in the radio & the software would need to match

On a side note, in the FXT CPS, you can select Amateur or Professional mode

You may want to contact Remtronix after the holiday & ask for clarification
Raj at Remtronix has been very helpful to me in the past, as I have six different Alinco Part 90 h-t models

73 & Happy Thanksgiving

Last edited: