Alinco DJ-X11 vs. Degen 1103 at HF

Status
Not open for further replies.

perseus68

Hi all

After receiving my Degen 1103 I did compare it with my Alinco DJ-X11 to see how the DJ-X11 performed at HF just off the whip.
This because the very low audio level of my DJ-X11 never convinced me at all, especially after watching many videos of the IC-R20 or the AOR8200 receiving HF stations.

As expected, the DJ-X11 is just fine when receiving strong broadcast stations but its audio level (and/or sensitivity) is ridiculous when dealing with much lower signals like those of some Volmets.

Judge yourself:

De1103 vs. Alinco Dj-X11 at HF - YouTube

What do you think about it ?

It is just my DJ-X11 or it is a common behavior of them at HF ?

As soon as I have my 9:1 balun + long wire for my Dj-X11 another side-by-side test will follow.

73s
Marco

majoco

Stirrer
The tiny rubber duckie is alright for VHF but no good for HF. If you remove the duckie and use a piece of wire and stretch it our to the same length as the whip on the 1103 it may go better. You will probably find that you get front-end overload with a longwire on the Alinco.

perseus68

No rubber duckie. Diamond SRH-789 instead!

The tiny rubber duckie is alright for VHF but no good for HF. If you remove the duckie and use a piece of wire and stretch it our to the same length as the whip on the 1103 it may go better. You will probably find that you get front-end overload with a longwire on the Alinco.

Well at 00:28 you can see that the Dj-X11 had no rubber duckie but a ~80cm long whip.

Status
Not open for further replies.