Alinco: Alinco DR-235T MKIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA0XR

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if Alinco is discontinuing their mobile 1.25 meter offering? I heard it is no longer going to be available and the big retailers for ham radio gear are no longer carrying this model.

If so this would be unfortunate news since Alinco was the only Japanese-based company still making mobile gear for the band. Chinese radios for 1.25m are not the same high quality that the 235 is. I own both the 235 and an Anytone at-588 for 220 and I prefer the Alinco despite it being lower power. Perhaps I'm wrong on the quality or longevity of the Anytone brand and would love to hear any thoughts on this topic.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
YES...sad but true! I've used several of the Chinese 220 rigs and got ride of them all!
I may have to try a Bridgecom or find a KW or Moto converted for 220.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The DR-235 is still listed on Remtronix's website. Raj prefers to deal with retailers, but he has been known to sell directly if you ask nicely.

That said, the entire DR-x35 product line is about 20 years old. It's possible that Alinco can no longer get parts for this line and is concentrating production on more popular models, like the DR-135.

KA0XR

Premium Subscriber
Good to know for those who still want a 235. I'm not in the market for a 2nd one, just lamenting the fact that the Japanese radio makers have all but abandoned producing equipment for the 1.25m band. The DR series radios are pretty simple to operate, my only gripe is they scan very slow.

The chassis/controls for the 235 is identical to the 6 meter DR-06T which I also own and Alinco still makes. I understand this model was recently updated yet still costs a fortune considering it's a mono-bander and FM only.

Wouldn't the DR-135 be very similar parts-wise to the 235? They appear identical. I suppose they could redesign the 235 with updated parts if they wanted to, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I suspect that there are many similar parts between the DR-135, DR-235, DR-435, DR-06, and DR-03. But, the RF sections are probably all different with the DR-135/DR-235 and DR-03/DR-06 possibly being the closest.

The problem is one of manufacturing economics. Of that line, all of them can be sold nearly worldwide except for the DR-235 which can only be sold in North America. If you were an international radio manufacturer, would you make a product for only one market? Would your answer depend on how much extra it would cost you to shift a manufacturing line over to that single-market radio long enough to build up stock as opposed to continuing to make radios you can sell worldwide? Would your answer depend on your knowledge that cheap, Chinese radios are available with 222 MHz capability at a much lower price than your own offerings?

North American amateur radio operators routinely lament at the lack of equipment for the 222 MHz band. Yet, when equipment is available for that band, they buy it in much smaller numbers than equipment for other bands. We are our own worst enemy...me included. I have two DR-235s, two Kenwood TM-742s with 222 MHz, and a Kenwood TH-D74 with 222 MHz. I don't use any of them on 222 MHz. Just no current interest.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
YES...sad but true! I've used several of the Chinese 220 rigs and got ride of them all!
I may have to try a Bridgecom or find a KW or Moto converted for 220.
The BCM220 from Bridgecom is a excellent performer. I highly recommend it as well as their HT. :cool:

jhooten

I guess I'll have to make do with the TYT-9000 for now. At least in the Austin area I can bring up 220 repeaters. Seldom get an answer but I can access repeaters.

Get more use of the 900 side of the DJ-G29 Alinco.

KA0XR

Premium Subscriber
I guess I'll have to make do with the TYT-9000 for now. At least in the Austin area I can bring up 220 repeaters. Seldom get an answer but I can access repeaters.

Get more use of the 900 side of the DJ-G29 Alinco.

Even the TYT-9000 and the Anytone at-588 are no longer available for those shopping for new 220 gear. Seems kind of hopeless now to find a monoband radio that is not super costly, let alone one of Japanese or commercial grade quality.

How does 900 MHz compare to 440 Mhz for local reliable range? Does antenna gain and lower noise floor make up for greater path loss? Or is 900 even more of a local band than 440? The 33cm band still seems like kind of a radio frontier not much explored by most hams outside of those good at modifying and programming Motorola equipment.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
There's an Anytone rig for sale over on QTH.com! Sadly I've been burned by almost all of the CCR 220 stuff so as stated earlier either a Bridgecom or KW/Moto! Would really like to read a good review of the Bridgecom as its not the cheapest but easier than changing filters in the Moto, re-flashing a KW and all the necessary programming! With the noise floor being a lot lower on 220 I like it!!!

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
It appears that the Alinco is not available through many distributors. Some may still have stock. It is still listed on Alinco's site. Supply chain issues or discontinued?

The Bridgecom mobiles seem to be available, but the HT's went away some time ago. I was able to get a couple of new battery packs a while back.

In 2018 I was in Tokyo and visited four ham radio stores. No 220 radios since you can't use them in Japan or almost any other country. There in lies the problem. With only the US market, 220 is not a priority to any of the big companies.

As far as CCR's go, remember that Bridgecom is made in China too.

I may order another 220 radio from Bridgecom while I can. I've had one for several years and it has performed very well. The HT was good too. Some quirky features like no external power connection, but otherwise quite well built.

Our local club operates four 220 repeaters and I may add a 220 remote base to another repeater site.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Care to expand on "excellent performer"?
It's built like a brick, meaning very robustly. It is very compact. The entire body is a massive heat sink so there's no real heat issues at all. The received audio is crisp, clear and loud, especially with the front firing speaker. Everyone I've contacted has reported that my signal was strong, and mic audio was excellent.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
It's built like a brick, meaning very robustly. It is very compact. The entire body is a massive heat sink so there's no real heat issues at all. The received audio is crisp, clear and loud, especially with the front firing speaker. Everyone I've contacted has reported that my signal was strong, and mic audio was excellent.
THANKS.....

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
While we've got a little 220 thread going....when I mention TAIT radios for 220 it's all crickets. From research they are available for 220 with no mods! But it's hard to get info.....

Status
Not open for further replies.