Alinco DR-635 weirdness

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
My Alinco DR-635 has devolved into a weird state. The radio is in some sort of primordial freak, and I can't seem to get it to reset.

When power is applied it flashes between "Alinco" and "DR-635" on the display and the display lights change colors a few times. Pressing the Function button will bring you into a menu and allow you to scroll thru some menu items. Once you press enough buttons the radio will display freqs, but the large knob changes frequencies on the sub-band, not the main band. Nothing transmits or receives.

I found that the 6-pin connector cable for the head had lost it's snap clip and was loose on the radio end but the error still continues with a replacement cable as well.

Any ideas?

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think manual details a full reset by holding FUNC then POWER together for 1 sec. Also, have you tried connecting with PC via serial port to see if it responds?

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have tried to reset with the Power/Function with no joy. I will try to read the radio with the computer.

Thanks!

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have tried to read the radio with software (CBTI, always worked before...) and the software starts to read the radio and then stops, reporting a "Runtime Error 380, Invalid Property Value"

I am beginning to think my trusty Alinco is toast...

nd5y

If a full hard reset won't fix it that most likely means the firmware or microprocessor or memory or something is corrupted and the rig is indeed toast unless you send it back to Alinco for repair.

It might be something as simple as the firmware needing to be reloaded but you can't do that yourself.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Well, third time is the charm...

I tried the reset procedure a few more times and finally on the third or fourth try it worked. I restored the radio from the last backup I did and all is well with the world again.

Thanks!

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

What a relief! And now we know the procedure when a DR635 gets wonky: follow the Reset procedure... more than once if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.