Alinco GPSTEXT/LTEXT TNC Commands

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM7KK

Premium Subscriber
I am using the EJ-50U TNC in an Alinco DR-635T. There is the enigmatic, Alinco-specific TNC command LTEXT which is used with GPSTEXT. Neither the DR-635 nor EJ-50U manuals explain the parameters used with this command. I found one example of LTEXT such as LTEXT !3219.36N/11106.15W but this is not what I am seeking. From what I understand, or not, the GPSTEXT $GPGGA passes this information to LTEXT in the form of parameters. I have written to both Alinco support groups in the US and Japan; they do not know!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Have you looked at the Kantronics KPC3 manuals to see if Alinco somehow copied Kantronics' implementation of LTEXT? Remember that later KPC3 models, like the KPC3+, were GPS aware.

KM7KK

Premium Subscriber
Yes, and thank you for the response. I have searched a voluminous about of information on the internet but the TNC command still remains elusive. There are no examples of what to place in the LTEXT buffer to receive the $GPSTEXT NMEA sentence. How does one place the $GPGGA sentence parsed by GPSTEXT into the LTEXT buffer? I quote from the Alinco EJ-41U manual, "The LTEXT buffer can also be filed 'automatically" by specifying a GPS output string using the GPSTEXT command and connecting a GPS unit." I have tried a myriad combinations and permutations using the LTEXT command without success.

AK9R

Super Moderator
Looks like the GPSTEXT command simply defines which NMEA0183 sentence from the GPS receiver to use and then LTEXT uses the defined string as it comes from the GPS receiver.

I Googled "alinco tnc gpstext" and got a few hits. Maybe you've looked at them before.

This page gave a hint about the GPSTEXT command: Alinco DR-135TP Setup for APRS — W2WCR Warren County Radio Club

This page was a little more specific about how GPSTEXT is used in the Alinco TNC: DR-135

KM7KK

Premium Subscriber
Thank you again for the response. I have viewed the links you provided in addition to many others. I have checked the GPS receiver for fully-formatted NMEA sentences which is working fine and connection to the transceiver is functional. Also looking for clues searching GPSTEXT hoping this might lead to some insight. All the references describe what LTEXT is but not how to define it for use with GPSTEXT $GPGGA. LTEXT is a buffer for the parsed GPSTEXT string but then how does one place that information into the buffer? References only describe how to clear the buffer which is LTEXT % but nothing else. Common sense, logical choices have proved fruitless.

AK9R

Super Moderator
I don't think you have to do anything to get GPS data into LTEXT. Once you define what GPS string to use in GPSTEXT, LTEXT automatically picks it up. At least, that's the conclusion I'm jumping to.

KM7KK

Premium Subscriber
That would make sense but that does work. The LOC E command will not execute unless LTEXT is specified with something in the buffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.