Alinco: Alinco MD DR500T LOCKED at factory!!!!!

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I ordered an Alinco MD DR500T (dual band DMR) from HRO in Salem NH. Radio arrived today. I had previously written the codeplug for the radio a few weeks ago so that when radio arrived I could use it right away. WRONG! I spent HOURS trying to program it. Kept getting "BAND ERROR" when I tried to write codeplug to radio. I somehow managed to get a simplex UHF freq programmed and when I keyed mic I got "TX PROHIBITED!" warning. This is BS. The manual says these rigs come BLOCKED at factory to prevent unauthorized use. It is up to DEALER to remove the block before sales, which these morons didnt do. I am returning radio and wont buy from them again. The salemen clueless about my simple questions like where the data jack is. Its really a shame cause its a nice radio. I will look into getting a Connect Systems DMR radio. However if HRO is willing to UNBLOCK radio, test it and program a sample codeplug to show its working, I will take radio back. I am beyond frustrated....$400.....:mad:

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 41

a417

I ordered an Alinco MD DR500T (dual band DMR) from HRO in Salem NH. Radio arrived today. I had previously written the codeplug for the radio a few weeks ago so that when radio arrived I could use it right away. WRONG! I spent HOURS trying to program it. Kept getting "BAND ERROR" when I tried to write codeplug to radio. I somehow managed to get a simplex UHF freq programmed and when I keyed mic I got "TX PROHIBITED!" warning. This is BS. The manual says these rigs come BLOCKED at factory to prevent unauthorized use. It is up to DEALER to remove the block before sales, which these morons didnt do. I am returning radio and wont buy from them again. The salemen clueless about my simple questions like where the data jack is. Its really a shame cause its a nice radio. I will look into getting a Connect Systems DMR radio. However if HRO is willing to UNBLOCK radio, test it and program a sample codeplug to show its working, I will take radio back. I am beyond frustrated....$400.....:mad:
Take a big breath please, and contact them?

It's a saturday, so...Monday?

As for salesmen not knowing where the data jack is, that information usually eludes them - unless they came from the service side prior, but it is usually found in the documentation that accompanies most purchases. Is it in the manual? Is it not programmed thru the front panel mic connector?

Last edited:

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
@bobruzzo OK what software are you using? The Alinco-provided CPS, or the RT Systems programmer?

I'm pretty sure you can change the "model" in the software. Have you tried doing that? If you click on the "Model" tab (assuming you are using the Alinco CPS) what frequency mode is it in?

RFI-EMI-GUY

In most cases, any radio, you are always better off reading the codeplug already in the radio, archiving a copy, and then making changes that you require.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The radio is sold blocked so that it won't transmit outside of the ham bands, as a respectable amateur dealer, HRO doesn't want to contribute to the problem of unauthorized use of radio spectrum, which I applaud them for. A simple Google search will provide you with easy to follow instructions as well as how to unlock the radio yourself. In the time you took calling HRO "morons", you could have gotten what you needed. Basic radio programming 101: always read a codeplug, save the original, and work off the saved archive.

As amateur radio operators, we are supposed to possess technical skill sets above the general public/consumer. HRO assumes that those who walk in the door have that.

N4KVE

Basic radio programming 101: always read a codeplug, save the original, and work off the saved archive.
As amateur radio operators, we are supposed to possess technical skill sets above the general public/consumer. HRO assumes that those who walk in the door have that.
How sad. The OP is upset his ham radio won’t work in the commercial band. It’s not up to the store to modify anything. It’s up to the end user to decide if they want to violate the FCC rules. Like MTS2000des said, “you always read the radio FIRST, save that virgin code plug, & then add to it“. When we study for the test, we’re supposed to actually learn something. Not just regurgitate the answers to pass the test. But with today‘s system of volunteer examiners, it’s too easy to slip the examiner friend a $20, or find a license in a box of Cracker Jacks. I took my tests at the FCC. But to solve the OP’s dilemma, you don’t do anything until the radio arrives. When it does you save the virgin code plug, then unlock the radio, [10 seconds to Google up how], and then build up your code plug on the unlocked radio. You can’t put the cart before the horse.

Last edited:

w2xq

Mentor
It isn't up to HRO to unblock radios. Upon determining you had a license HRO should have given you the instructions to do so. Buy Two Way Radios - Lowest 2 Way Radio Prices Anywhere! does exactly that; a slip of paper was included in my radios. Or, heaven forbid, Google is your friend.

Last edited:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Hahaha sorry for my rant, I was in a bad mood, anyway I had to download some other software to be able to fix the issue. But there is no documentation that tells you this. HRO should have notified my anyway. The saleman didnt even know where the data jack was on the radio.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
The radio is sold blocked so that it won't transmit outside of the ham bands, as a respectable amateur dealer, HRO doesn't want to contribute to the problem of unauthorized use of radio spectrum, which I applaud them for. A simple Google search will provide you with easy to follow instructions as well as how to unlock the radio yourself. In the time you took calling HRO "morons", you could have gotten what you needed. Basic radio programming 101: always read a codeplug, save the original, and work off the saved archive.

I tried exactly what you said to do but that still didnt work. I knew the procedure but it didnt work with this radio. I kept getting "band error" and it wasnt until I tried using another program that allowed me to make the change in radio so it would let me program it. I would have thought HRO would TELL me about this when I bought radio. I didnt know Alinco made commercial rigs sold with amateur option. I have bought Alinco radios in the past, regular conventional vhf/uhf so I assumed this new radio wouldnt be a problem.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Take a big breath please, and contact them?

It's a saturday, so...Monday?

As for salesmen not knowing where the data jack is, that information usually eludes them - unless they came from the service side prior, but it is usually found in the documentation that accompanies most purchases. Is it in the manual? Is it not programmed thru the front panel mic connector?
Documentation was not very good in the little booklet that comes with radio. It simply tells you how to mount the radio!

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
I have that radio and have no issues with it. I have several non amateur frequencies programed in and no issue. The 'band error' is not well documented and did result in having to redo my codeplug once but after that no problem. the unit is part 90 certified. TX prohibited is the default so you do need to check that. the radio also defaults to prohibit TX on received signal whuich can also create trouble if not handled as a repeater staying 'up' will prevent you from transmitting. Most DMR radios default that way and most even only receive programed talkgroups-normal for the commercial/public service user but not normal for ham. Takes getting used to.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
How sad. The OP is upset his ham radio won’t work in the commercial band. It’s not up to the store to modify anything. It’s up to the end user to decide if they want to violate the FCC rules. Like MTS2000des said, “you always read the radio FIRST, save that virgin code plug, & then add to it“. When we study for the test, we’re supposed to actually learn something. Not just regurgitate the answers to pass the test. But with today‘s system of volunteer examiners, it’s too easy to slip the examiner friend a $20, or find a license in a box of Cracker Jacks. I took my tests at the FCC. But to solve the OP’s dilemma, you don’t do anything until the radio arrives. When it does you save the virgin code plug, then unlock the radio, [10 seconds to Google up how], and then build up your code plug on the unlocked radio. You can’t put the cart before the horse.
From the Ham Radio Outlet Site:

Alinco's latest Advanced Dual Band Mobile DMR VHF/UHF DR-MD500T Part 90 transceiver adds to its existing line-up of Digital Commercial/Business or Amateur Radio products. The DR-MD500T has features such as Color LCD Display, 55W Output Power on VHF and 40W on UHF as well as up to 4000 Memory Channels, 10,000 TalkGroup and up to 300,000 Contact lists. Capable of operating in Digital and Analog with mixed mode in VFO or Memory mode.

Part 90 Transceiver....I'd be a little upset if it didn't work on Part 90 frequencies as well.