Alinco sw antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainetrunk

Hi guys, I had a 30 foot wire for my Grundig, didnt do alot. ( didnt need to, radio is as high as it could get ) Now I got an Alinco dj-x11t. The antenna thay came with it is a rubber duck. If I put the sma-bnc connector on, run pl259 with male bnc --3 foot of wire, can I connect it to the 30 foot long clear speaker wire for better reception in the 100 kz's ?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
More than likely - however I would be aware that 30 foot may be way too much for a little radio like that. Overloading is a distinct possibility, particularly in the early eve on bands like 49 m (6 Mhz) which gets quite packed at that time

Mike

ridgescan

Most of the fun of this hobby is trial and error. Experiment. Try your 30-foot wire and see what you get. Is that wire indoors? If so, it may pick up noise from nearby electronics. Then again, like at my home here, it may work ok. I can stretch a metal tape measure from my Transoceanic's antenna, across my livingroom to the other side (18') and get nice, undoubtedly better reception on SW with little noise. Try 15-20' of wire too, which will still be an improvement over that dukkie on SW.

mainetrunk

I took it down to 14 feet.Does good.. I notice the duckie gives a little more signal if I bend the duckie with my finger. Bad duck or ground?

ridgescan

I took it down to 14 feet.Does good.. I notice the duckie gives a little more signal if I bend the duckie with my finger. Bad duck or ground?
If it gives more signal on SW then it's probably "inductively coupling" to your body making you part of the antenna. Shows you how hyper sensitive and prone to overload that radio is.

mainetrunk

I just got an SMA-BNC connector for that scanner/receiver of Alinco's, got it from China. Perfect fit. Point is, I got a few scanner antennas, try them 1 at a time. I am too high up for the wire to work properly. The stub antenna they have at radio shack works fine. Tonight should be a good search night. Sheesh, that thing is worth just under $300 now. I still gotta get another battery ( cell ) for it. IOW-- AA battery holder- guess where THAT is...Hahaha. Well, back to " fun with antenna's " my new favorite tv show. lol

mainetrunk

Actually, the antenna I want , I do NOT have. I've been looking all morning for the right 1. I wrote to Alinco to see what they reccommend, they said a Diamond, I wrote to Diamond, they say they dont have the antenna I want. So, I found this SMA 16" Scanner Antenna Uniden Icom Alinco BCD396T BCD346XT BR330T DJ x3 DJ X11 | eBay anyone have a better idea-please feel free. The reason I dont gp the wire route on this 1 is cause the booklet says the Alinco is set sensitivity high already, adding on only distorts. So, Im stuck looking for a better 1 than an 8 inch DUCK. Thx...

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
That antenna looks like a Diamond RH77CA. I use one on my Icom R-20 for air band and most general non HF listening. It works very well as far as I am concerned. I also have an Austin Condor but have not tried it on the Icom R-20 yet. Another antenna that I am looking at is the Watson Tele-gainer. It is out of stock at Scanner Master currently. In doing research about it, it got mixed reviews. Like all things- some love it, some hate it. Everything I have heard about it would indicate it does a decent job. I am still playing around with different configurations for HF listening- portable that is.

15 feet of speaker wire coupled with a piece of coax and a BNC has done a decent job.

Half the fun of this is trying these things out. Let me know what you find.

HH

mainetrunk

Outside of bnc connections, wires, looks like I have very little choice. The sma is too close to the knobs for any other antenna. I know Mr. trap that 1/2 the fun is wires. Done it, I'm in a bad spot, and I cant get up on the roof at the moment. Nothing frustrates you more than hearing that windsheild wiper noise every 30 khz or so. I dont get that noise now on my DUCK, actually right now I am trying 1 more antenna. 1 of those telescopic RADIO antennas-am/fm, 10 inches.I had a bnc for it. I am using wtsn in Dover N.H right now (7 miles away ) to check THIS 1. Wow, it catches a hum from my computer area. ( also scanner area-many running )4 feet away, hum stops...... You are right---''Half the fun of this is trying these things out. '' Shheeeeshhh, technology. Thx, Ron

mainetrunk

I believe it is a NAME thing.Kinda like a Ford water pump dont fit a hyundia.. I mean there really insnt much room between the sma and 1st knob.. Plus, the fine thread with the needle in the middle. I really gotta get the good 1, too much distortion around my scanner/computer set-up.. I have already looked there too. I need to go out for good reception with the right cable set-up http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...570.l1313&_nkw=sma+female+to+lmr+400&_sacat=0 then go to this MFJ 1438 HF/VHF/UHF Mobile Antennas MFJ-1438 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at DX Engineering

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.