all but silent pro-106 in Wichita

Status
Not open for further replies.

danblashkc81

Premium Subscriber
Hi all.
Took a trip to the Wichita area in February and programmed the new Sedgewick system in my pro-106. I selected all agencies, and all frequencies from the rr database, not just the control channels. I'm using the radio shack 800 MHz antenna, and the scanner was all but silent. Completely silent in my hotel, and just little bits and pieces of transmitions when we'd go outside the building or when driving around when we went out to eat. tried settings with multi-site mode in off, stat, and rome, and played around with thresholds, with no improvement. Is there a certain way to set these settings that are working better for any pro-106 users in Wichita. The KSICS system was only a wee bit better. I understand that it might just be a location issue. Mainly spend time on the west side, close to the Midcontinent airport. I'll be coming back to the area for another visit in May, and was just curious if there's anything I might try. Trying to figure this out and my visits usually only last a weekend, and have to make time for both my girlfriend and the radio. lol She's starting to get interested in this stuff too. :)
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance

danblashkc81

Premium Subscriber
yeah, for the most part, worked great in KC. Recently moved to Florida and it works ok on a p25 system down here, with pretty much out of the box settings. I've read on some rr forums of people tweeking the threshold and digital squelch settings on their pro-106 in the Wichita area, but never could find exactly what settings they changed, and to what values. Never had to change threshold settings or anything either in kc or down here in FL, but I know some of it is system dependent. I'm trying to save up for a bcd436hp, but trying to get the old pro-106 to hang in there and hear Sedgewick stuff til then. So just trying to see if any pro-106 users in the Wichita area have any settings they've had good luck with, and that I might try when I visit in May. By the way, I use psredit500 to program the radio.

SCPD

QRT
You may try going to this sight in the easy to read pro 106 (in the Expert Settings ) & look though these settings to see if they
match what your looking for. I have never used any software to program my scanners, I have always manually programed them. Good Luck !

sparky3200

Premium Subscriber
Wichita/Sedgwick County switched over to P25 digital in January through February, so your Pro 106 won't receive them. It is an analog scanner, and you will now need a digital scanner to receive P25 signals.

danblashkc81

Premium Subscriber
ok, here's what I found in the easier to read pro-106 manual. . I think it may have something to do with the cchd2 timeout, vcsq timeout, and vcxf timeout settings in the expert menu. Do any pro-106 users in Wichita have a set of values for them that are working well? also, what do you have your multi-site mode set to in the trunk system parameters, off, stat, rome? On rome, you can set high and low threshold values. Mine are set at 75 and 95 when I turn it on. In stat, there's a check box that says check all control channels that can be. I tried stat, rome and off last time I was there, but didn't mess with cchd2, vcsq and vcxf cause I've never had to before, and didn't think of it while there.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Pro-106 Monitoring Sedgwick P25

Wichita/Sedgwick County switched over to P25 digital in January through February, so your Pro 106 won't receive them. It is an analog scanner, and you will now need a digital scanner to receive P25 signals.

Provided the RR DB is current, the Pro-106 can indeed monitor the Sedgwick County system. When I looked at the mode column, I saw no "E" listed. This radio system is listed as having "D" talk groups.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Expert Settings

ok, here's what I found in the easier to read pro-106 manual. . I think it may have something to do with the cchd2 timeout, vcsq timeout, and vcxf timeout settings in the expert menu. Do any pro-106 users in Wichita have a set of values for them that are working well? also, what do you have your multi-site mode set to in the trunk system parameters, off, stat, rome? On rome, you can set high and low threshold values. Mine are set at 75 and 95 when I turn it on. In stat, there's a check box that says check all control channels that can be. I tried stat, rome and off last time I was there, but didn't mess with cchd2, vcsq and vcxf cause I've never had to before, and didn't think of it while there.

Typically, I run thresholds of 55 and 85 with roam.

danblashkc81

Premium Subscriber
Update: Much better this time. Was in Wichita again last week, and reprogrammed with the same settings as February. Same results when in the hotel, but braught several different radios on different bands with me, and I think my favorite hotel is just an RF black hole. :) My girlfriend was only getting 1 bar on her cell, and mine wasn't much better with 2. But when we went to red lobster the first night, the pro-106 was doing much better. Heard Wichita pd, and could actually make out transmissions this time. So maybe they're adjusting the system? We'll see what it's like next trip. Girlfriend is much more interested now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.