All over for HFDL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

majoco

Stirrer
I was originally listening for HF Navtex but nothing heard there so I thought I'd go back a few years and see if HFDL was active - but nothing heard on any of the Auckland or Molokai frequencies - its 1430 in the afternoon here so not the best time to get them - I'll try later. Plenty of lightning crashes so there's nothing wrong with my receivers. Perhaps CPDLC has removed the need for HFDL?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If the last set of UDXF logs I went thru are any indication, folks just aren't reporting it all that often - maybe a dozen or so reports last month, so I think it's fairly safe to say that it's still around. There would be a lot of traffic asking what happened to the networks if there weren't. Are you using the latest system table (51) that has the new South Korea site listings? You can download a zip file with a text file listing from here...

Of course you're going into summer, and low band (below 10 Mhz) absorption is going to be an issue, as well as the TStorms. And with the flux sitting around 70 solar conditions aren't doing you any favors... Mike

majoco

Stirrer
Hi Mike, I did finally get signals from Auckland and Molokai very well and easily decoded and got the almanac as well. As it's nearly mid-summer (calendar-wise if not weather-wise!) and it's still light up to about 2130 local propagation is not the best and of course aircraft schedules are usually timed so that the punters arrive at their destination in the early morning. I'll keep trying - hey, have a great Christmas everbody!

majoco

Stirrer
Thanks, Lino, but what time if day? I'm in the 'skip zone' for Auckland HF frequencies 8867 and 13261kHz during the day.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You ought to be good to hear the new South Korean site. That's in the new table 51...Mike

majoco

Stirrer
1700 local 0400UTC Molokai on 13324kHz much stronger than Auckland on 13351kHz. I can hear the aircraft talking to Muan Korea 13324kHz but not the ground station.

I've attached the new table 51 - you can get all the stations on one sheet of A4 paper double sided if you convert it to a Word doc but I can't attach it...

Attachments

• SystemTable 51 (hex 33).txt
    7.7 KB · Views: 29

majoco

Stirrer
Lots of activity across Russia, Europe, and Africa & Middle East.

I'm about as far away as you can possibly get from Russia, Europe, and Africa & Middle East - unless I planned a move to Antarctica.

invergordon

Hi Martin, Happy New Year friend, Auckland can be heard very loud and very clear early AM (before about 9am) on 5583 and 10084kHz, then move to 10084 and 17916kHz before back to 10084 and 13351 kHz in the afternoon. I'm using an Airspy HF+ Discovery and Delta Loop and reckon you could hear these too!

majoco

Stirrer
Hi Mike, compliments of the season to you too. I guess my original post was a reaction to listening around midday - possibly the worst time for propagation. As you say, early morning or after 3pm works a lot better with good results, even had a score from Krasnoyarsk on 8886kHz at 7pm local 0600UTC- never heard him before! Might have been on the grey line but I didn't check the charts at the time and didn't keep the data. My delta loop is working well too with a quiet background through the Winradio G33.

invergordon

Crikey, I haven't heard Krasnoyarsk in years, they used to be an easy catch on 10MHz, I must give it a go tonight.

The other night I set my recorder on 518kHz hoping for some Navtex and surprisingly picked up two transmissions from Honolulu that decided reasonably well but got nothing on the subsequent night.

Status
Not open for further replies.