BCD436HP/BCD536HP: All Quick Keys Turned Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

geastman4353

Premium Subscriber
I just got a new BCD436HP and have it programmed with all of my favorites. The way I have it programmed, I have 5 different systems (QK 1-5) and under each system there are different departments. My problem comes when I accidentally turn off all of my systems. As soon as I turn off all of the systems, instead of having a * in place of the number to show that the system is off all of the *'s disappear and I have no way to get the systems turned back on without plugging the scanner into the computer and re-downloading the profile all over again.

I have attached pictures of what it should look like (Correct Screen) and what it does look like (Blank Screen).

Attachments

• CorrectScreen.PNG
    CorrectScreen.PNG
    771 bytes · Views: 485
  • BlankScreen.PNG
    BlankScreen.PNG
    600 bytes · Views: 480

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
I just got a new BCD436HP and have it programmed with all of my favorites. The way I have it programmed, I have 5 different systems (QK 1-5) and under each system there are different departments. My problem comes when I accidentally turn off all of my systems. As soon as I turn off all of the systems, instead of having a * in place of the number to show that the system is off all of the *'s disappear and I have no way to get the systems turned back on without plugging the scanner into the computer and re-downloading the profile all over again.

I have attached pictures of what it should look like (Correct Screen) and what it does look like (Blank Screen).
Go into the menu and turn on the lists you want to scan or all of them if you have assigned them quick keys. After you turn them on in the manage favorites list menu ( sorry I don't have my radio right now but I think that's the name of the menu option) they should become quick keys that you can turn on and off with the number pad on the scanner.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You have to have a favorite list enabled in the scanner menu before you can use any quick key(s) in that favorite list. You don't have to reprogram the scanner, just go into the scanner menu and turn on the favorite lists again.

geastman4353

Premium Subscriber
Go into the menu and turn on the lists you want to scan or all of them if you have assigned them quick keys. After you turn them on in the manage favorites list menu ( sorry I don't have my radio right now but I think that's the name of the menu option) they should become quick keys that you can turn on and off with the number pad on the scanner.

The problem that I am running into is that the favorites lists are still there but all of my quick keys disappear and I can't turn them back on. I have tried turning them on and off from the favorites menu and that doesn't change anything.

geastman4353

Premium Subscriber
My favorites lists aren't getting turned off when I accidentally turn off all of the quick keys. Once I turn off the quick keys they all disappear instead of just showing as off (shown with the * symbol on the screen) and I can't see the quick keys that were there to turn them back on.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you turn off all the quick keys, do you see the "Nothing to Scan" message?

I'm a little confused - are you talking about Favorites List Quick Keys, or System Quick Keys within a single Favorites List?

If they are all within the same Favorites List, you can "walk back" what you did. For example in FLQK 1 having System Quick Key 1, you can simply press 1.1 Eyes (need the period) to turn that SQK (the "1") back on.

And if you want to export your Favorites List file to an HPE, zip it and attach it to a message, I'll be happy to give it a "look-see".

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
You probably have the service tags turned off go in and turn on all of you service tags/modes. Then all of your qks should come back. I think you have all of the service modes turned off. At least that's what it sound like to me.

geastman4353

Premium Subscriber
If you turn off all the quick keys, do you see the "Nothing to Scan" message?

I'm a little confused - are you talking about Favorites List Quick Keys, or System Quick Keys within a single Favorites List?

If they are all within the same Favorites List, you can "walk back" what you did. For example in FLQK 1 having System Quick Key 1, you can simply press 1.1 Eyes (need the period) to turn that SQK (the "1") back on.

And if you want to export your Favorites List file to an HPE, zip it and attach it to a message, I'll be happy to give it a "look-see".

When I turn off all of the quick keys I see the "Nothing to Scan" message but all of my quick keys also disappear so that I can't walk back and turn them back on. I have another Bearcat Scanner that has a similar interface that you can walk back with if you accidentally turn off all of the quick keys but on this scanner they disappear and are no longer available to turn on or off.

mitbr

When I turn off all of the quick keys I see the "Nothing to Scan" message but all of my quick keys also disappear so that I can't walk back and turn them back on. I have another Bearcat Scanner that has a similar interface that you can walk back with if you accidentally turn off all of the quick keys but on this scanner they disappear and are no longer available to turn on or off.

In the picture you provided in your original post it shows no favorites lists selected hence the - and system 3 enabled with other systems available * on the screen. F is favorites S is systems . In order to scan anything you have to enable a favorites list because the entire screen is showing - In order to do this you must go into the scanner menu set scan selection select lists to monitor than turn on the favorites list you wish to scan.
Oh and welcome to the forums!
Tim

geastman4353

Premium Subscriber
In the picture you provided in your original post it shows no favorites lists selected hence the - and system 3 enabled with other systems available * on the screen. F is favorites S is systems . In order to scan anything you have to enable a favorites list because the entire screen is showing - In order to do this you must go into the scanner menu set scan selection select lists to monitor than turn on the favorites list you wish to scan.
Oh and welcome to the forums!
Tim

See thats the part that is really confusing me. I have the quick keys and the favorites selected but as soon as I turn off all of the departments/sites/etc. the favorites as well as the quick keys all disappear rather than just showing the * that indicates whatever is on that quick key has been disabled. It will go from looking like the first picture to looking like the second picture instead of just showing **** across all of the quick keys that have been turned off.

J

jlmaddencc

Without a Departments "Site" (Quick Key) enabled there are no Towers (sites) for the Scanner to "Scan", you must enable one of those, Change the Site Quick Key to something like 0 or 99

FL.SY.DP
and enable that after the FL and SY are enbled and ON
FL. E/Yes
FL.SY. E/Yes
then turn on the Site 00 under the Department ON
FL.SY.00 E/Yes
Then turn the Departments (Groups) w TGID's on
FL.SY.01 E/Yes
FL.SY.02 E/Yes

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I was somewhat able to replicate what you are seeing. So for better or worse, I suspect this is "normal behavior".

I'm also thinking you may not have any Favorites List Quick Keys assigned, which is why your "F0" line has blanks. Not that it would get things where you want them, however.

Still your best answer is to "walk back" (or toggle) what you did to turn things off, such as .0 Eyes to toggle System Quick Key 0 back on.

geastman4353

Premium Subscriber
I was somewhat able to replicate what you are seeing. So for better or worse, I suspect this is "normal behavior".

I'm also thinking you may not have any Favorites List Quick Keys assigned, which is why your "F0" line has blanks. Not that it would get things where you want them, however.

Still your best answer is to "walk back" (or toggle) what you did to turn things off, such as .0 Eyes to toggle System Quick Key 0 back on.

I've tried walking back but it will give me an error saying that the quick key doesn't exist as if I was trying to turn on a quick key that wasn't assigned to anything. I will give it a try with adding a favorites list quick key and see if that makes a difference.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It's possible that the Quick Key wasn't the one you thought it was. Usually what I try to do is have a Favorites List with a Quick Key of 0 and a System within that FL with a Quick Key of 0. That way I won't forget and have something to work with.

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
Fav lists/Sys qk/Dept qk

I have found by putting the QK # in with the display name makes it much easier to keep track of my fav lists and sys qk and dept qk. For instance, for my Federal lists I put it in Sentinel as:

F0 FEDCOMM (favorites qk is 0);
S0 FEDCOMM (system qk is 0);
D0 DEA (dept qk is 0);then list all your freqs. assign #0 to the first freq channel #tag
D1 FBI (dept qk is 1); then list all your freqs. assign #1 to the first freq channel # tag
D2 BATFE (dept qk is 2); then list all your freqs. assign #2 to the first freq channel # tag
D3 US MARSHAL ( dept. qk is 3); then list all your freqs. assign #3 to the first freq channel # tag
D4 DEPT HOMELAND SECURITY (dept. qk is 4); then list all your freqs. assign #4 to the first channel # tag
D5 TSA and keep following the pattern above for any other depts.

This way when you scan, the display will show your Fav qk, Sys qk, and dept qk; I do it this way as it's hard to read the top of the display while driving to see the Fav/Sys #s. It also makes it easy to turn off sys or dept #'s while driving. If I have all the above turned on, and I want to turn off D5 TSA; while scanning I push 0.0.5 and push Eyes or tap the vol button and that dept is off. To turn it back on I push 0.0.5 and Eyes or tap the vol button and it's back on. I do this with all my favorites and it makes it very easy to put Fav/Sys/Dept #s off or on. If you want to go to the first channel in any of the above depts while scanning; press the chan button to hold the bottom display; then push 0.0.0 and your first channel for the DEA will show up on the display. If you want your first channel for the BATFE; while scanning push chan to hold on the bottom of the display, then push 0.0.2 and the first channel for the BATFE will pop up. Then I just scroll to the freq I want. Under my F0 FEDCOMM list I have S1 FEDCOMM S2 USSS/WHCA S3 FED OTHER; and under each S# I list my dept #'s as above and use the same pattern for each dept. as above. Makes for easy on/off for Fav/Sys/Depts. I do this with all my Fav lists.
Rich

amcferrin90

Premium Subscriber
@geastman4353 are you using trunking and system quick keys?

I have a similar problem. I don't use favorite lists per se. I just use system quick keys and they are toggled by entering ..1 or ..2 or ..0 depending on which sites I want to enable. On occasion I will inadvertently turn off my last list. I try to check what's active by pressing the function button so while turning sites on before turning sites off. I could swear I was turning site ..2 on while site ..0 was on but all of a sudden "nothing to scan" shows.

My display now shows F0:---------- and S0:0--------.
When pressing function key display shows FS0:0--------- and D0:----------

Now when I type ..0 or ..1 or 0.1.0 or 0.0.1 I get "Invalid Entry".

The only way I've been able to restore is to restore from the last download. I find it hard to believe there doesn't seem to be a way to edit the active SQK or an QK from within the scanner yet I can from the software. No biggie to connect software when it's accessible but when you're hours away, no can do.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The "F0:----------", "S0:----------" and "D0:----------" lines show the status of Quick Keys (Favorites/Systems/Departments). Possible statuses are Unassigned (blank), Assigned, On and currently being scanned (digit blinks), Assigned, On but is in queue to be scanned (digit present and not blinking) or Assigned and Off thus won't be scanned an asterisk is present in the digit position (for example SQK 0 would show S0:*----------).

If you have not assigned a Favorites List Quick Key, the are no subsequent System or Department Quick Keys to be displayed in this area of the display.

To know what is being scanned, you'll have to look farther down the display in the System, Department and Favorites List lines.

amcferrin90

Premium Subscriber
I'll revise the question. When one inadvertently turns off all SQKs, there seems to be no way to turn any of them back on without the use of software. The question is how does one modify these favorite list parameters within the scanner without being aided by software?

See attached pic. This is what it looks like after I fix the problem. When all the SQKs are turned off by accident, the scanner us uploaded and all those boxes are blank. How to toggle those boxes from within the scanner when all the boxes are blank? That is the question.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 143

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The picture you are showing is the default status for the Department and Site Quick Keys. There are similar windows for Favorites List Quick Keys (in the Profile) and for System Quick Keys.

This sets the initial/default status of the given Quick Key. Checked means the Quick Key is On, unchecked means the Quick Key is Off.

I need to point out you use the words "System Quick Keys" but you are showing Department/Site Quick Keys in the picture. System Quick Keys are different from Department Quick Keys.

I suspect you might be used to older model scanners where sites were associated with System Quick Keys. That changed in the x36 line of scanners, where sites are now at the Department Level. (There used to be 2 levels/layers of Quick Keys, now there are 3). So that might be what's throwing you off.

On default status, it remains that way until you do something to change it, such as turning Off a Quick Key that was On by default (pressing FF.SS.00 Eyes) for that Department 00 Quick Key.

If you turn off all System Quick Keys, you'll probably see "Nothing to Scan". The only way you would not see that is because there is an active System being scanned that does not have a Quick Key assigned.

To "undo" all System Quick Keys being turned Off, just turn them back on. Let's say you have System Quick Key 0 in Favorites List 1 (and it was on by default). You press 1.0 Eyes to turn it Off. Pressing 1.0 Eyes again turns the System Quick Key On.

A similar process for Department Quick Keys, but you add that third layer for Department/Site. Using the example from above, with Department Quick Key, the process is pressing 1.0.0 Eyes to turn it Off, and 1.0.0 Eyes turns it back On.

Status
Not open for further replies.