"All Set" Too Vague a Response?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Utah_Viper

Maybe it is because I am from Utah but the use of "All Set" on the radio here bugs me. I would not mind it if it had one common meaning but I have heard it used for just about everything. I have heard it mean everything is ok (code 4) or that they have cleared the call, that they no longer need additional units, and some other things as well.

If I was a dispatcher it would drive me crazy. If I ask an officer his status at a call and his response was "all set" I would not know if he is ok, or done with the call. Do I dispatch him to the next call, or is he still working it but code 4?

Way confusing too me. Anyone else have the same feeling? any better clarification?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I've never heard of "Code 4" so I think that wouldn't be a good alternative ;) All set seems to make sense to me, and it makes sense to them, so I think it's fine...

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
"All Set"

I only know what "Code 4" is from watching "CSI". :p

Our guys use "all set", but they usually add a clarifier, such as: "We're all set, have back-up disregard." or: "I'm all set, dispatch, be out a few more minutes.". It has become such a part of our vernacular that I can't see it changing if we wanted it to.

Heck, we've had CAD for 12 years & MDC's for 4, & we still have guys that say: "Punch me a starter...". :confused: The probies are even doing it, because they hear the old-timers doing it. Old habits die a lot harder when they're passed down from generation to generation.

And don't EVEN get me started about firefighters...... :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.