• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

All Xpr models digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyro424

Are all the Xpr models digital? Or were there some 4550 models that were analog only? Reading the manual it appears so. I am looking at buying a vhf Xpr 4550 and u need it to have dmr ability. The model number on it is AAM27JNH9LA1AN

romanr

Are all the Xpr models digital? Or were there some 4550 models that were analog only? Reading the manual it appears so. I am looking at buying a vhf Xpr 4550 and u need it to have dmr ability. The model number on it is AAM27JNH9LA1AN

I couldn't find the table to decode model numbers in the documents linked above, so I'll include the table here. Quick summary about model number AAM27JNH9LA1AN:
AA = North American Model
M27 = Mobile XPR4xxx
JNH = VHF, 1-25W, Monochrome Display
9 = Programmable
L = with GPS only (no Bluetooth)
A = Conventional (since this isn't a 'C', it is NOT Analog Only)

K2NEC

All XPR radios are digital. The CP and CM series are the only exceptions. The CP200d comes in a "digital" and "digital CAPABLE" model. Same with the CM200d and CM300d. But considering that you want an xpr4550, yes those are digital.

romanr

All XPR radios are digital. The CP and CM series are the only exceptions. The CP200d comes in a "digital" and "digital CAPABLE" model. Same with the CM200d and CM300d. But considering that you want an xpr4550, yes those are digital.

The early XPR (Gen 1) radios were available (briefly) in Analog Only (for a fee, you could add DMR later). Since the OP is buying an older Gen 1 radio, it's a smart question to ask and it is wise to check before the purchase.

Last edited:

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Also you should be aware that the higher models have more included features. For example the XPR7550 has CAP+ included in its price. For lower models it's an optional purchase.

K2NEC

The early XPR (Gen 1) radios were available (briefly) in Analog Only (for a fee, you could add DMR later). Since the OP is buying an older Gen 1 radio, it's a smart question to ask and it is wise to check before the purchase.
Interesting I didn't know that. Thanks for the info

romanr

RX Audio leveling is so worth it especially on digital

I have to agree that the Audio Leveling is a nice, inexpensive feature. It will save you a lot of grief listening to the mix that you find on ham repeaters.

I didn't see what all the fuss was initially since commercial networks are (generally) set up by someone that knows what they are doing and the mic gains on the subscriber units are properly configured. When someone set up a ham DMR repeater locally and I started to listen to the hams it drove me crazy, but it was a great demonstration of the value of RX Audio Leveling (but it's not available on Gen 1 radios).

Status
Not open for further replies.