Allegany county switching to 700mhz???

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiolistener

I've been hearing alot of talk lately about Allegany County possibly switching from 33mhz to 700 mhz for fire alerts .Homeland security is the one I hear is possibly pushing and funding the project of tower and radio equiptment . Anyone heard anything else..I've checked with a few people and no one so far know the exact frequency or how many channels are proposed...I know I have a radioshack pro97 (which is the newest one out and it scans upto 1.3 mhz and the 700mhz band is non-monitiorable (restricted I guess)so.... I'll have to find something else if anyone has any ideas......

ctrabs74

radiolistener said:
I've been hearing alot of talk lately about Allegany County possibly switching from 33mhz to 700 mhz for fire alerts .Homeland security is the one I hear is possibly pushing and funding the project of tower and radio equiptment

That would be rather unusual for this area, but with the lack of available VHF-Hi freqs, I would've thought UHF would've worked just as well. 700 still seems to be a work in progress - at least in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic. But, eventually, low band is probably going to go the way of the do-do bird...

I know I have a radioshack pro97 (which is the newest one out and it scans upto 1.3 mhz and the 700mhz band is non-monitiorable (restricted I guess)so.... I'll have to find something else if anyone has any ideas

The only scanners (AFAIK) that can track 700mhz are the Bearcat 396 and 996. I would suspect as newer scanners hit the market over the next couple of years (RS and Uniden), they'd be able to monitor 700. My advice would be to wait until you hear something more definitive before making an investment in a new scanner.

ambdrvr

Premium Subscriber
Allegany County switching

Hello all,

Just an update on Allegany County here but they are in the process of upgrading their old 4 channel low band 33mHz to a countywide UHF system. This new system will allow all fire and ems units to talk throughout the county on a linked channel. There will be additional channels at each of the counties 6 current sites and channels will be applied for on a 7th site as soon as it's built. The radio equipment has already been purchased for 3 of the 6 new sites and the remaining equipment will probably be purchased by the end of this year. As more details are publicly available I will post more. Channels have been allocated and PL tones assigned but that's not for public display at this time but like I said, when it becomes official I will post that information. Hope this clears some things up and good listening. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.