Alleghany County Virginia p25 phase 2

bocook222

Does anyone know if Alleghany sheriff's office is having any issues with their radio system. Seems like they don't have interoperability with state police.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure I understand the question - aside from using a gateway (patch), there wouldn't be an interoperability with VSP, since AC is on UHF and VSP is on VHF.

clbsquared

UHF P25 Phase 2 cannot communicate with VHF P25 Phase 1 unless there is a patch as BoxAlarm stated. Add to that Alleghany SO is encrypted. Unless AC is using multiband capable radios with STARS interop channels programmed OR they still have SIRS capable radios, there's no interop.

Badgerdog

All I have heard is one of the troopers on their TAC channel say that the county traffic was drowning out the other trooper.
Also, one said awhile back on the same channel that he had one of county’s radios installed.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
I know many agencies will loan the VSP area offices portables for the on-duty trooper(s) to use.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Alleghany has always provided some VSP troopers running this area with radios. I've heard troopers say they are listening to the county radio in their unit. They were mobile radios not HTs though. Trooper got out of the car and he couldn't talk to county anymore.

County had a SIRS radio in their dispatch center I know several years ago but they do not listen to it.

All LE out here is now encrypted and I do not believe there is any interop channels in existence for VSP and ASO unlike Rockbridge's system.

One person asked if VSP had ever been on the county radios and the answer when they were analog is yes. Now I don't know, but probably.

Alleghany has never been much on interop from what I can tell. Its all one dispatch center calling the other. I hear VSP lots of times asking their dispatch to find out what's going on out here when they don't have a county radio in their rig. Units running code etc. Alleghany never knows what's happening with VSP either. I guess they never heard of scanners in their units or dispatch.

I actually thought maybe they were changing things up because Covington was running a couple of weeks ago with dispatch in the clear while units were encrypted for about a week but then it went back to 100% encrypted. So guess no change and probably a mistake it happened at all.

There has always been a thing with the deputies and all out here of them not wanting people to be able to hear them on the radio. Its why they spent more time with 10-21 then on the radio, then the Nexedge debacle and now they've finally put a good system in with it. And yes I've talked with deputies and officers numerous times over the years and they've been very open saying they don't like the public being able to hear them on the radio. Muterspaugh didn't seem to believe in that but Hall certainly did when he came in and has been working on it since he started.

To illustrate how they are I once heard them spend close to 30 minutes trying to get a deputy to call into the office before a Sgt got ticked off and said to put whatever it is on the radio since that's what its for. Turns out it was a "Help" call, as in MOS needs help. They sat on it for close to half an hour rather than put it over the air. That's how bad it was.

Then again after listening to their dispatch for so long I can understand why they at least didn't want anyone to hear them.

bocook222

Alleghany has always provided some VSP troopers running this area with radios. I've heard troopers say they are listening to the county radio in their unit. They were mobile radios not HTs though. Trooper got out of the car and he couldn't talk to county anymore.

County had a SIRS radio in their dispatch center I know several years ago but they do not listen to it.

All LE out here is now encrypted and I do not believe there is any interop channels in existence for VSP and ASO unlike Rockbridge's system.

One person asked if VSP had ever been on the county radios and the answer when they were analog is yes. Now I don't know, but probably.

Alleghany has never been much on interop from what I can tell. Its all one dispatch center calling the other. I hear VSP lots of times asking their dispatch to find out what's going on out here when they don't have a county radio in their rig. Units running code etc. Alleghany never knows what's happening with VSP either. I guess they never heard of scanners in their units or dispatch.

I actually thought maybe they were changing things up because Covington was running a couple of weeks ago with dispatch in the clear while units were encrypted for about a week but then it went back to 100% encrypted. So guess no change and probably a mistake it happened at all.

There has always been a thing with the deputies and all out here of them not wanting people to be able to hear them on the radio. Its why they spent more time with 10-21 then on the radio, then the Nexedge debacle and now they've finally put a good system in with it. And yes I've talked with deputies and officers numerous times over the years and they've been very open saying they don't like the public being able to hear them on the radio. Muterspaugh didn't seem to believe in that but Hall certainly did when he came in and has been working on it since he started.

To illustrate how they are I once heard them spend close to 30 minutes trying to get a deputy to call into the office before a Sgt got ticked off and said to put whatever it is on the radio since that's what its for. Turns out it was a "Help" call, as in MOS needs help. They sat on it for close to half an hour rather than put it over the air. That's how bad it was.

Then again after listening to their dispatch for so long I can understand why they at least didn't want anyone to hear them.
I've heard the other day they had an ems call and the dispatcher stated it was a positive covid then repeated the dispatch and stated positive code yellow. I already knew what code yellow meant because it doesn't take a genius to put 2 and 2 together. They must like encryption because they can hide their stupid mistakes

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Yeah they came up with Code Yellow for Covid. Don't ask me why. As you stated it doesn't take a genius to figure it out. What's worse is what that code used to mean for many, many years along with Code Brown. :)

Boxalarm you have to understand the ones out here are.....not real good to put it mildly. I've heard them do things over the years that defied belief. One in particular must have a job because she's providing favors because she sure as h*ll doesn't know how to dispatch and belongs nowhere near a radio especially a PS one. Her I especially don't like. She's the one who held a Help call for so long rather than get deputies going. Another time an emergency alarm went off and she did nothing until a Sgt. asked if she heard it. Her response was "Yeah"then silence. When he asked who it was she replied over the air, "How the h*ll am I supposed to know" Where I'm from its her dam* job to figure it out. Do a roll call for crying out loud if you don't know. There are only a few units to go through. Why they didn't have a sheet to match RIDs to unit numbers I don't know but apparently they didn't have one and the radio shop didn't program aliases in. Me sitting at home with a pad of paper and a computer program matched up RIDs with the units quite easily and they did get the RIDs showing up on their console.

I've heard her tell units to get off her radio because she's busy including fire captains or just not answer the radio at all for quite a while. (I mean really nastily too.) I do understand being busy in a dispatch center but I was always taught the guy on the other end of that radio in your first, last and in between priority as you are his lifeline. If something comes up you say something like "Units stand by unless emergent, 10-6 with fire" or whatever. That lets units know you're tied up but still listening if they have emergency traffic and lets you handle whatever you need to. Everybody is happier knowing what's going on and is usually accommodating to the situation.

I've called in several times over the years and found several of them that didn't know either of the standard phonetic alphabets. The normal police or the military one. They also have a very poor ability to retain and accurately relay information which is paramount.

After coming from a metro area with top of the line dispatchers I was completely appalled at the ones out here. The things I was told were paramount to be a dispatcher were sorely lacking with these ones quite often. There were a few good ones but sadly not enough imo.

bocook222

Yeah they came up with Code Yellow for Covid. Don't ask me why. As you stated it doesn't take a genius to figure it out. What's worse is what that code used to mean for many, many years along with Code Brown. :)

Boxalarm you have to understand the ones out here are.....not real good to put it mildly. I've heard them do things over the years that defied belief. One in particular must have a job because she's providing favors because she sure as h*ll doesn't know how to dispatch and belongs nowhere near a radio especially a PS one. Her I especially don't like. She's the one who held a Help call for so long rather than get deputies going. Another time an emergency alarm went off and she did nothing until a Sgt. asked if she heard it. Her response was "Yeah"then silence. When he asked who it was she replied over the air, "How the h*ll am I supposed to know" Where I'm from its her dam* job to figure it out. Do a roll call for crying out loud if you don't know. There are only a few units to go through. Why they didn't have a sheet to match RIDs to unit numbers I don't know but apparently they didn't have one and the radio shop didn't program aliases in. Me sitting at home with a pad of paper and a computer program matched up RIDs with the units quite easily and they did get the RIDs showing up on their console.

I've heard her tell units to get off her radio because she's busy including fire captains or just not answer the radio at all for quite a while. (I mean really nastily too.) I do understand being busy in a dispatch center but I was always taught the guy on the other end of that radio in your first, last and in between priority as you are his lifeline. If something comes up you say something like "Units stand by unless emergent, 10-6 with fire" or whatever. That lets units know you're tied up but still listening if they have emergency traffic and lets you handle whatever you need to. Everybody is happier knowing what's going on and is usually accommodating to the situation.

I've called in several times over the years and found several of them that didn't know either of the standard phonetic alphabets. The normal police or the military one. They also have a very poor ability to retain and accurately relay information which is paramount.

After coming from a metro area with top of the line dispatchers I was completely appalled at the ones out here. The things I was told were paramount to be a dispatcher were sorely lacking with these ones quite often. There were a few good ones but sadly not enough imo.
I know one of the dispatchers and she was able to get a job because she was related to another person who worked there.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I'll tell you what. I know how to operate this dang thingy!! (Dispatcher training)

Badgerdog

SDS 100 or 200 will work fine. A Harris radio will not get you anymore unless you have an inside guy to program it for you.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
A G5 will work great too. I'm using my 536 and it works fine 95% of the time.

As for a Harris radio, that is opening up a can of worms. The newer radios won't allow you to do it safely. For the older ones you need to know which ones and those have to have a specific firmware in them then you need a specific CPS for them.

On top of it you need to know how to program it correctly to ghost the system or you'll end up in trouble. Stick with a scanner or G5. Unless you know what you're doing with a radio and programming you'll end up screwed.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
In reality with the Harris XG-100P there are only 3 boxes you need uncheck and it will keep from affiliating from the system at all and it will do NAS just fine. I am running 2 Harris xg100p and in the process of programming a harris xg/m7300 to install into my van to replace my apx75k.