Alleghany/Rockbridge County,VA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badgerdog

Hello,

I am new to the scanner hobby, well the modern scanner LOL. I have a SDS200. My county, Alleghany County, VA is going to be sharing a APCO25P2 system with Rockbridge County, VA. It will be going live 11/18/2020.
Are you going to have the trunking system info? Just thought that I would give a heads up.

Mr_Boh

Typically unless someone has insider knowledge, or is intently watching the system as it gets build out, it will be difficult to update the database since it's based on user submissions. Usually what happens in a case like this is the day of cutover, you will start getting database updates quickly added.

Remember that the Sentinel database is behind, so there will be a lag until it gets added to the weekly updates direct from Uniden so in the meantime if you want to listen, you will have to manually update the Rockbridge P25 system in your scanner with the new talkgroups as they start popping up in the DB.

Badgerdog

Thank you for your reply. If I had the software and know how, I would try to do it.

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I will be submitting info after thanksgiving, waiting on confirmation on site data..Current CC is 451.2625

Badgerdog

Thanks everyone. I know that thePD will be encrypted, my daughter is a cop and she is against it. I will be waiting Webodisk and thanks Mr. Boh.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Its a 7 site simulcast system The strange thing is that its listing Rockbrige both sites as neighbor sites. Rockbridge's system lists Alleghany as a neighbor site as well. Its also P2 instead of the planned P1. Not sure what being linked means. Is it now a large regional system or something else.

I've picked up Allghany talk groups on Rockbridge and Rockbridge talk groups on the Alleghany system.

Current info is

Sys ID 014
WACN 92804
RFSS 60
Site 60
NAC 03C

Right now from what users have self identified the following talk groups are present and ID'd.

201 Fire Dispatch
203 Fire Ops 1
225 Company 9 Private

I've seen several 100 talk groups and they are encrypted. The poster is correct on LE being encrypted. They've wanted that for a long time. They tried with that ridiculous NXDN a few years ago but it didn't work. Not sure if Covington is joining. Only spoke with one Covington Fire member a month or so ago and he didn't know anything about a new radio system. I'd say they will probably be on it though.

Hope that helps out some.

Badgerdog

Its a 7 site simulcast system The strange thing is that its listing Rockbrige both sites as neighbor sites. Rockbridge's system lists Alleghany as a neighbor site as well. Its also P2 instead of the planned P1. Not sure what being linked means. Is it now a large regional system or something else.

I've picked up Allghany talk groups on Rockbridge and Rockbridge talk groups on the Alleghany system.

Current info is

Sys ID 014
WACN 92804
RFSS 60
Site 60
NAC 03C

Right now from what users have self identified the following talk groups are present and ID'd.

201 Fire Dispatch
203 Fire Ops 1
225 Company 9 Private

I've seen several 100 talk groups and they are encrypted. The poster is correct on LE being encrypted. They've wanted that for a long time. They tried with that ridiculous NXDN a few years ago but it didn't work. Not sure if Covington is joining. Only spoke with one Covington Fire member a month or so ago and he didn't know anything about a new radio system. I'd say they will probably be on it though.

It sure does. Now, I hope the videos that are posted in this thread show me how to program my scanner with this info.
covington is joining the system and they went with P2 with Rockbridge for cost control is what I was told. My daughter, who is a deputy, said that they shouldn’t encrypt any except for the swat and tach channel. But, there’s nothing that she can do. I voiced my opinion about that and cost as well. Wasted my breath. Please keep me updated.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Yeah Hall has been obsessed with hiding everything since he took over for Dale. Plus I've run into a lot of deputies who just plain don't like anyone able to hear them talking, at all. They're downright nasty about it. Ran into a group a few months ago at the Subway in Low Moor and they were like "I don't want anyone hearing what I'm saying" They said they couldn't wait until it was all encrypted.

He put the computers in the units to keep most stuff off the air for instance. I'm only acquainted with one female deputy and I haven't seen or spoken to Laura in years. My daughters knew her and I believe one of them knew her son as well.

In the end they will lose a lot of community input that is very helpful to them. Lots of BOLs over the years where the public has called in with info for them. But ultimately they've always been this way. As far back as I can remember even under Dale they'd use 10-21 for BS like dog barking complaints and loud music calls. The bad part was they'd use it on Hot calls too. To hold a officer needs help call trying to get a unit to call in on the phone or to send a home burglary in process to a unit in Covington via phone when the call was on the East end with units sitting around bored just illustrates how stupid it was.

Badgerdog

Yeah Hall has been obsessed with hiding everything since he took over for Dale. Plus I've run into a lot of deputies who just plain don't like anyone able to hear them talking, at all. They're downright nasty about it. Ran into a group a few months ago at the Subway in Low Moor and they were like "I don't want anyone hearing what I'm saying" They said they couldn't wait until it was all encrypted.

He put the computers in the units to keep most stuff off the air for instance. I'm only acquainted with one female deputy and I haven't seen or spoken to Laura in years. My daughters knew her and I believe one of them knew her son as well.

In the end they will lose a lot of community input that is very helpful to them. Lots of BOLs over the years where the public has called in with info for them. But ultimately they've always been this way. As far back as I can remember even under Dale they'd use 10-21 for BS like dog barking complaints and loud music calls. The bad part was they'd use it on Hot calls too. To hold a officer needs help call trying to get a unit to call in on the phone or to send a home burglary in process to a unit in Covington via phone when the call was on the East end with units sitting around bored just illustrates how stupid it was.
You hit the nail on the head. Laura is my sister-in-law, no speaking there. LOL! My daughter has the same name. She is no longer with them. Their section to your question is an example of their lack of professionalism. If the State Police can talk in the clear, why not the deputies. I agree, they are going to lose a lot of support. Sure, encrypt the tac channel and Swat channels, leave everything else so we can all be aware of something going on. There will probable be some favorable legislation on our behalf soon with all the police reforms. By the way, I would help any cop in need. They needed a new radio system but for an economically depressed area, this was too expensive right now.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Update

At 2345 Wednesday night Covington City Police and Fire switched over to the new TRS completely.

103 is the Covington Main Police channel and is full time ENC.

202 is Covington Fire Dispatch and so far in the clear.

230 was heard on an alert. Not sure if it was Covington ALL CALL or just for the on duty station.

238 was heard which is in the Fire range but it was ENC.

At 0024 today Alleghany County Sheriff and Clifton Forge PD switched over to the new TRS with 101 being the new main dispatch channel. It is full time ENC.

At 0032 All Alleghany County and Clifton Forge Fire units switched over to the new system full time. 201 which is Fire Dispatch was in the clear so far.

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Update

At 2345 Wednesday night Covington City Police and Fire switched over to the new TRS completely.

103 is the Covington Main Police channel and is full time ENC.

202 is Covington Fire Dispatch and so far in the clear.

230 was heard on an alert. Not sure if it was Covington ALL CALL or just for the on duty station.

238 was heard which is in the Fire range but it was ENC.

At 0024 today Alleghany County Sheriff and Clifton Forge PD switched over to the new TRS with 101 being the new main dispatch channel. It is full time ENC.

At 0032 All Alleghany County and Clifton Forge Fire units switched over to the new system full time. 201 which is Fire Dispatch was in the clear so far.
Have you submitted this ?

bocook222

Current info is

Sys ID 014
WACN 92804
RFSS 60
Site 60
NAC 03C

201 Fire Dispatch
203 Fire Ops 1
225 Company 9 Private

Omg. I guess my scanner is useless. All I hear is the sound of an engine running on the new frequency or just static

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Have you submitted this ?

Most of the info was submitted to the VA DB Admin some time ago. Not sure what to submit it under as I said. Its a 7 site simulcast system for Alleghany. BUT now its linked with the Rockbridge system. Not sure what or how it works. Both systems show neighbor sites in the other. Talk groups from each system are showing up on the other.

So I'll leave it to experts on it. I have no idea whether its seven sites added to the Rockbridge system or a regional system comprising the 2 counties or simply linked with roaming capability between systems.

Badgerdog

I have a sds200. By the way, I noticed the updated freqs. How do I import these with Sentinal to my scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.