Allegheny county new fire radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps you should look at the actual license in the FCC ULS and it will become quite obvious to you.
What I'm seeing looks like it was renewed back in February, then they added stuff in June. Maybe I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Nothing has been added or changed in many years. There were some minor administrative (contact) updates, but that's it. The license history goes back to 1996, and the frequency first use is April 1991. It's a very old license that was simply renewed for another 10 years.

daine1619

Premium Subscriber
Nothing has been added or changed in many years. There were some minor administrative (contact) updates, but that's it. The license history goes back to 1996, and the frequency first use is April 1991. It's a very old license that was simply renewed for another 10 years.

Could this FCC license be for the Allegheny County Open Sky TRS?

On the original thread topic, ACES seems to be offering 4 choices of radios for agencies to pick from. APX4500, APX4000, APX6000, and APX6000XE. All will be a 2.5 model and have a full screen and the 4500 will come with the O2 head.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Could this FCC license be for the Allegheny County Open Sky TRS?
The emissions designators on WNWC473 are for straight FM analog @ 20 kHz modulation. The same 10 frequencies are licensed at all 6 locations, almost as if it is/was supposed to be a simulcast of some sort. The stations are all licensed as FB2C, which is a repeater with a phone patch carried on it. Strange.

jeffm77

Premium Subscriber
I have been scanning all those 800 MHZ frequencies for some time now. Probably a year or so. I have never heard anything on them, not even a CW ID. I don't think they are on the air.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Its just a vacant license that sits there and is not used. Lots of times licenses get updated by admins for contact info even when not being used.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Its just a vacant license that sits there and is not used. Lots of times licenses get updated by admins for contact info even when not being used.
I wonder how many freqs are sitting unused, not available to coordinators. "Ghost" freqs on paper . Up in my area there's VHF, UHF and lowband freq, that have been renewed for over a decade, some on 2nd renewals now, VHF/UHF and lowband radios removed over a decade ago upgraded everyone on the 800 trunked over a decade ago, on 2nd gen radios too, first 800 XTS and now 800 APX but the old UHF/VHF/Lowband they exist only on paper

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I wonder how many freqs are sitting unused, not available to coordinators.

A lot.
And there's no easy way to fix it. I've talked with my local APCO guys about this and they see it as an issue also. As regional trunked systems grow, the agencies that join all want to retain their "backup systems". Those badly needed VHF pairs sit idle while others are looking for free pairs to use.

I hope/expect that at some time in the distant future the FCC will start to crack down on this stuff and force the agencies to give them back unless they can prove they are being used.

radio259

At the present no but could happen years down the line. Logistically it would be a nightmare with the sheer number of agencies to get enough radios to supply for everyone.
Current radios and consoles could tie into ICORS yes. Any band plan could work.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Staying UHF. 800mhz was tried here once before. Huge failure. Can join ICORS on any band plan.
800 works well - if you design the infrastructure properly and spend the money where necessary. If you design to an arbitrary budget, you generally get what you pay for - which is rarely optimal.

PGHSCANNERWACKER1

Premium Subscriber
WNWC473

There is a fairly new FCC license for a 10 channel 800MHz trunked system for Allegheny County. The emission doesn't say anything about P25 though. If it is a countywide P25 system, would they join ICORRS, or would they build their own system?
Allegheny County is staying analog with what they have. mostly uhf so no 800 mhz and no 100% trunked system.

Status
Not open for further replies.