Allied 2682 shortwave radio question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortwave2200

Premium Subscriber
I just received my radio yesterday.

One question, when I change to AM BC band it comes in strong but then it fades out.

All of the other bands work great.

Any idea what it could be?

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Boy that radio brings back memories. I forgot I owned one back when. Looked it up on the net. Vintage late 1960's-1970's. I would suggest you try something simple first. Get a can of tuner cleaner and clean the bandswitch; don't over spray. Probably wouldn't hurt to spray the volume control and front panel controls. HTH.

Last edited:

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Deleted. Dunno why Wiforum s/w is so sensitive as to think the post key thinks it has been pressed twice.

Last edited:

w2xq

Mentor

Deleted.

Last edited:

Shortwave2200

Premium Subscriber
I used deoxit on all of the controls and the band selector.

What I found out is that it is a Ceramic Capacitor that has gone bad in the AM BC section but I cannot see the side where there is a number so I can buy a replacement.

Shortwave2200

Premium Subscriber
Found problem

The capacitor that I thought was the problem was not.

There is one that is in front of the suspected one, in the cold the AM didn't work, brought it outside and the AM BC band would work, thermal...

So I took a chance and it now works.

That was the Allied Model, actually there are 2 Ceramic Capacitors 8pf and then on the opposit side of the board there is a 5pf, so I replaced the 8 and resoldered the 5pf back to where it was originally.

Then it got me thinking about the Aircastle, so for a preventive maint I replaced that one as well BUT it had a 15pf on it, I replaced it with a 8pf, it is alot more sensitive now, a hell of alot more.

Like I stated in a previous post, I do not like any of my shortwave radios past and present, to run on AC, so I desoldered the power supply from both units all the wires are desoldered from the mb and the power supply itself had 2 nuts holding it everything was removed batteries are more stable regulated 6V.

The batteries in these units seem like they are going to last a long time, i'd say over 100 hrs...

Last edited:

Shortwave2200

Premium Subscriber
Before and after picts

I detailed the radio out and fixed the AM BC problem.

The before pict is from the ebay listing that the previous owner took and after is......

Attachments

• Allied SW radios BEFORE restor.JPG
    Allied SW radios BEFORE restor.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 601
  • Photo0191.jpg
    Photo0191.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 605
  • Photo0192.jpg
    Photo0192.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 665
Last edited:
Status