Alpha units in London Dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Occasionally I hear OPP units Alpha policing for the London Dispatch centres juridictions.
From what I heard, Alpha units seem to enter various detachments.

I have heard them pulling over cars on the 403 in Oxford county (and seen one call when a speeder going 160 or so was nabbed by a Alpha unit) but I had to exit and wasnt going to chase events, lol.

Today I heard Alpha units working in Norfolk, operating on the Norfolk talkgroup.

I may be wrong but there are Alpha cars who operate in the OPP central region thru Orillia as highway units of some sort.

Would this be the case for the Alpha cars in the SW?

Thanks in advance

Eric

Muxlow

Super Secret
Alpha units are special units. They range from HSD Highway officers to K9, ERT, TRU and so on.
For the most part they drive a normal marked patrol car just with their extra gear in it.
Unless its a HSD car it for the most part has a MDT in it and an extra antenna, and should say Highway Safty Division on the rear too

They dont really have "patrol zones" They can kind of roam the county and respond anyplace if need be. Iv herd Essex County K9 officer come all the way to London once because no other detachments close had K9 onduty at the time. Works the same for ERT. Each county seems to have at least 1 ERT member, and if something happens they come from all over for a emergency.

Again, normal cars. Just special trained officers on normal duty unless they get called to something special they have the training for.

HSD officers mostly stick to the highways and such. London has a Tahoe that has the licence plate cameras, iv seen that sitting on the on ramps to the 401 a few times and seen a few HSD cars sitting on the side of the highways with lights on but no traffice stop. To see if peopel pull into the next lane, if they dont.. they get stoped kinda deal

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Awesome! Thank you for all the information.

Would they be dispatched out of any detachement or are they assigned the normal cars and given soft ids' like the rest of the OPP cars?

Muxlow

Super Secret
They take normal cars, and have their own soft id.
Say a ERT officer in chatham-kent is on patrol, some type of emergency happens in brantford. Them the comm center would page out all ERT members to deply to that area in brantford. Then the officer would prolly go on the radio saying he is heading down that way and switch from 1OPS03 over to 1OPS09 Middlesex and then so to ops11 and ops01. Then if need be they hang out on a tac channel.

But i think all the special service guys like K9 and ERT get paged to deploy. Unless otherwise they are just on "normal patrols" in their area

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Since ERT trained officers are on regular patrol, they get the usual Soft ID for whatever patrol area they're assigned like the other officers in the area.

If a call requiring ERT comes in, the Comm Centre has a list of ERT trained officers who are on duty.

They pick the closest officers to the call and have them proceed.

K9 is called by phone or paged if no answer.

Once assigned to the call, ERT officers generally are given a Soft ID belonging to the detachment they're responding to. I usually hear a 09x temporary type.

They are not normally given an Alpha Soft ID since they are not Regional Headquarters units like the canine units.

Northerner71

Our ert guys become xray's i.e they strt there shifts as echos and when an ert call comes in they become xray units for the durtion. Alpha units roam through our area from time to time, usually for court.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

So I heard today a 1 Alpha unit on the Barrie 1 Bravo patch.

I assume they do the same thing in this zone?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
An Alpha is an Alpha is an Alpha.

They're Regional Headquarters units and would perform the same duties as units in other Regions.

You heard a Central Region Headquarters car.

Could be canine, Tru or most likely a traffic unit.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

MikeOxlong said:
An Alpha is an Alpha is an Alpha.

They're Regional Headquarters units and would perform the same duties as units in other Regions.

You heard a Central Region Headquarters car.

Could be canine, Tru or most likely a traffic unit.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.