Alphabet (Project Loon) Balloon network being cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATCTech

FlightRadar24 is reporting that Project Loon, Alphabet's balloon-based 4G-LTE service delivery platform is being discontinued as it's been determined that it is not financially viable to continue the service.

A press release from Telkom Kenya reports that it's mobile phone service which utlilizes Project Loon will cease operation March 1st.

ind224

Bummer I liked to look for them with binocs when FR24 indicated a target. Only got one but once in a lifetime is like that. A swarm now over Africa and a pair over SA.

ATCTech

ind224, I agree. I had one spectacular summer morning pass of a Loon balloon in 2019, almost directly overhead at an altitude of about 57000 feet. With binoculars and the perfectly angled morning sun it was so beautiful in the sky, an enormous white orb gracefully floating by.

spacellamaman

FlightRadar24 is reporting that Project Loon, Alphabet's balloon-based 4G-LTE service delivery platform is being discontinued as it's been determined that it is not financially viable to continue the service.

A press release from Telkom Kenya reports that it's mobile phone service which utlilizes Project Loon will cease operation March 1st.

they finally asked the opinion of an accountant i see.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I wish I could've seen one. I tracked 2 over Lake Michigan and they eventually cruised over NE ohio, but it was nighttime. The next day they were floating down the east coast. I later read they parked over Puerto Rico providing cell service after a hurricane.

ATCTech

I wish I could've seen one. I tracked 2 over Lake Michigan and they eventually cruised over NE ohio, but it was nighttime. The next day they were floating down the east coast. I later read they parked over Puerto Rico providing cell service after a hurricane.

Well, if you could high-tail it to Kenya right about now your chances would be well above excellent!

1611781940844.png

Status
Not open for further replies.