Already have mast, how/where to mount it, and what antenna should i buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksduster

Weather enthusiast
Feed Provider
Good day everyone!

I am not new to scanners, but I am new to putting up an antenna.
I am in the process of moving.. and want to install an antenna with 2 of the radio shack 10ft masts (total of 20ft).

What is the best way to do this..
Dont own the house im moving into, so holes are net the best option, otherwise I wouldnt have this issue.

Again, I have 2 10ft masts from radio shack.. i am getting 3 more bct15x's..
two will be scanning 800mhz, and the 3rd will be scanning UHF (150's to 160mhz range)

I am looking at Laird FG8246 Omni Base Antenna, and the Laird Y8066 Yagi Base Antenna for the 800mhz, and split the one antenna between 2 of the scanners.

The system I will be monitoring for 800 mhz, is trunked.. type2.. motorola.. and the closest tower is ... about 20-25 miles away. can get reception with hand held scanner outside, but choppy.. with my mobile scanner, perfect..

Any suggestions on where/how to mount it? Can mount on side of house, but again ive never done this.. and just know i can not drill in the roof..

Thanks in advance

N8IAA

Good day everyone!

I am not new to scanners, but I am new to putting up an antenna.
I am in the process of moving.. and want to install an antenna with 2 of the radio shack 10ft masts (total of 20ft).

What is the best way to do this..
Dont own the house im moving into, so holes are net the best option, otherwise I wouldnt have this issue.

Again, I have 2 10ft masts from radio shack.. i am getting 3 more bct15x's..
two will be scanning 800mhz, and the 3rd will be scanning UHF (150's to 160mhz range)

I am looking at Laird FG8246 Omni Base Antenna, and the Laird Y8066 Yagi Base Antenna for the 800mhz, and split the one antenna between 2 of the scanners.

The system I will be monitoring for 800 mhz, is trunked.. type2.. motorola.. and the closest tower is ... about 20-25 miles away. can get reception with hand held scanner outside, but choppy.. with my mobile scanner, perfect..

Any suggestions on where/how to mount it? Can mount on side of house, but again ive never done this.. and just know i can not drill in the roof..

Thanks in advance

The best that I can offer is: Is the house a condo, or, a single home? Do you have attic access? If you have attic access, is the room you will be monitoring from near the attic access? If so, you can get a tripod base and attach the antenna to one of the 10' sections, then route the coax from there to your scanners.
HTH,
Larry

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Does the house have a chimney to mount to? I am not sure putting 20' of unsupported mast on top of a chimney would be the best idea. The other poster mentioned a tripod, that may be a good solution but I am not sure how you would secure to the roof. Is this a flat roof or does it have a pitch to it. Shingles or tar?

Is there some other vertical structure that is away from power lines that your use to support your mast?

Above all, be careful of power lines! Not just because the potential for interference is there but the real danger is a severe electric shock should you accidently come in contact with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.