Already saved talkgroups keep showing up as UNK

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnpike61

Ham and Electronics hobbyist since 1977.
Premium Subscriber
I've been noticing a problem lately where many talk groups that I have already put in data for are being logged as unknown over and over again. Sometimes, I have these three and four deep. Same SYS_ID, Same WACN, but as many times as enter the data, it gets logged as unknown and appears as unknown in the TG Log.

Any idea what is happening? I hate to think I have to wipe and start again.

Thanks,

Bob
(currently on V. 2021-04-16 09:48

freqseeker

If you have imported from CSV make sure the imported file has all talkgroups in it. I noticed when doing a import from DSD it will overwrite everything and just include that file. I finally cut and paste everything I wanted into a master CSV. Not sure if that was the correct solution but it works for me.

btt

Banned
Banned
I've been noticing a problem lately where many talk groups that I have already put in data for are being logged as unknown over and over again. Sometimes, I have these three and four deep. Same SYS_ID, Same WACN, but as many times as enter the data, it gets logged as unknown and appears as unknown in the TG Log.

Any idea what is happening? I hate to think I have to wipe and start again.

Thanks,

Bob
(currently on V. 2021-04-16 09:48
I'm not sure why you would see talk groups as unknown unless they are not in the P25RX flash memory. Are you writing your edited talk groups to the P25RX flash memory? Earlier today, there was a suggestion to add an option to enable/disable the auto-population of the talk group editor table. You might want to try the latest version 2021-04-16_1727. If you disable the "auto populate table" option on the talk group editor table, then nothing will be changed in the table. Some screen caps might help to understand the issue you are having with this.

pfdradio

Premium Subscriber
Disregard Post #2 - I didn't realize which forum this was and I don't see an edit option for my post.
I have "Report" but no "Edit"
Sorry about that.

turnpike61

Premium Subscriber
Disregard Post #2 - I didn't realize which forum this was and I don't see an edit option for my post.
I have "Report" but no "Edit"
Sorry about that.
Thanks - sure confused me at first. ;)

turnpike61

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure why you would see talk groups as unknown unless they are not in the P25RX flash memory. Are you writing your edited talk groups to the P25RX flash memory? Earlier today, there was a suggestion to add an option to enable/disable the auto-population of the talk group editor table. You might want to try the latest version 2021-04-16_1727. If you disable the "auto populate table" option on the talk group editor table, then nothing will be changed in the table. Some screen caps might help to understand the issue you are having with this.
All of these talk groups are in the memory, and have been given Alphanumeric names and the values "saved" after doing so. But, when someone else comes on in those talkgroups, I again see the same issue. They are not remembered, even though they show up in the list of talkgroups, and are logged as unknown and saved to flash memory again since I have that option set.

I think I may wipe everything and start again, as painful as that is. I would really like the Radio Reference import option that was mentioned at one time. It would make this so much easier.

Thanks.

turnpike61

Premium Subscriber
If you have imported from CSV make sure the imported file has all talkgroups in it. I noticed when doing a import from DSD it will overwrite everything and just include that file. I finally cut and paste everything I wanted into a master CSV. Not sure if that was the correct solution but it works for me.
Thanks, I wasn't importing, but it's a great tip.

turnpike61

Premium Subscriber
Never mind, I did a search and found out that there was a provision to use the DSD files generated by Radioreference to import Talkgroups. BTT, you should make this a sticky in the forum. What a much easier way to deal with the TG populating. I can see how I missed it.

Reactions: btt

btt

Banned
Banned
Never mind, I did a search and found out that there was a provision to use the DSD files generated by Radioreference to import Talkgroups. BTT, you should make this a sticky in the forum. What a much easier way to deal with the TG populating. I can see how I missed it.
Let me know if you continue to have issues. I'm still not clear on what is happening. Each record should be unique with the key/index being TGID+SYS_ID+WACN. I remember that you had multiple systems with the same SYS_ID in your area, but the WACN should be unique. Make sure you have the option to use the WACN enabled in the advanced tab.

turnpike61

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, it has been enabled since our last chat on that subject. In any case, things seem to be working swimmingly now. I also don't monitor the system with the same ID now since their police went all encrypted.

Cheers.

Vermonster

I'm bringing this topic back to life as despite many efforts I can't resolve the "unknown tgroup" problem on DMR systems. To be clear, although I don't have a ton of listening time on P25 systems, I don't think the issue exists there.

I am presently running 2021-04-27_0719, but the issue has been present for multiple firmware versions.

The Talk Group Editor tab does update with new talkgroups, however even when the tags are edited transmissions show as unknown talkgroup (e.g. unknown tgroup is displayed at the bottom right of the Talk Group Editor tab when a transmission is being received and on the Talk Group Log tab). This occurs:
-Whether talkgroups are edited directly in the Talk Group Editor tab or as an exported csv, edited, imported, and written
-Whether the use WACN filed box is checked or unchecked
-Whether autoflash is checked (I can see it do this when a new TG is first seen) or unchecked and groups manually written.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Mike_G_D

I've actually seen this most recently, in a relatively minor way, in P25 listening. It's wierd - had the issue with these same two talk groups a long time ago and Todd did some fix back then that seemed to stop it until just very recently - unsure exactly what version but something in the last week or so changed that allowed those two wierd TG's to come back as "unknown" (even though both are recorded and tagged). One is a lifeguard TG and I forget what the other is. The lifeguard one happens most frequently and always with a WACN of "0", NOT "0xbee00" but just "0". I think the other does the same thing. I always delete the records before shutting down but they always come back.

Not roaming - only one CC active.

For me, given that it is just two TG's it isn't too major a deal, just wierd that it just recently came back after being gone for so long. I was planning to bring it up but been busy and it was that bad of an issue to expidite in my case.

I haven't tried DMR recently so I can't comment about that - perhaps related, perhaps not.

-Mike

btt

Banned
Banned
I'm bringing this topic back to life as despite many efforts I can't resolve the "unknown tgroup" problem on DMR systems. To be clear, although I don't have a ton of listening time on P25 systems, I don't think the issue exists there.

I am presently running 2021-04-27_0719, but the issue has been present for multiple firmware versions.

The Talk Group Editor tab does update with new talkgroups, however even when the tags are edited transmissions show as unknown talkgroup (e.g. unknown tgroup is displayed at the bottom right of the Talk Group Editor tab when a transmission is being received and on the Talk Group Log tab). This occurs:
-Whether talkgroups are edited directly in the Talk Group Editor tab or as an exported csv, edited, imported, and written
-Whether the use WACN filed box is checked or unchecked
-Whether autoflash is checked (I can see it do this when a new TG is first seen) or unchecked and groups manually written.

Anyone have any thoughts?
The DMR issue is fixed in version 2021-04-27_0719

btt

Banned
Banned
I've actually seen this most recently, in a relatively minor way, in P25 listening. It's wierd - had the issue with these same two talk groups a long time ago and Todd did some fix back then that seemed to stop it until just very recently - unsure exactly what version but something in the last week or so changed that allowed those two wierd TG's to come back as "unknown" (even though both are recorded and tagged). One is a lifeguard TG and I forget what the other is. The lifeguard one happens most frequently and always with a WACN of "0", NOT "0xbee00" but just "0". I think the other does the same thing. I always delete the records before shutting down but they always come back.

Not roaming - only one CC active.

For me, given that it is just two TG's it isn't too major a deal, just wierd that it just recently came back after being gone for so long. I was planning to bring it up but been busy and it was that bad of an issue to expidite in my case.

I haven't tried DMR recently so I can't comment about that - perhaps related, perhaps not.

-Mike
Mike, I will take a look at your issue a bit later. Thanks for reporting it.

Mike_G_D

Mike, I will take a look at your issue a bit later. Thanks for reporting it.
In my case - this particular issue is relatively minor, at least so far. Just more wierd and surprising (the same two old TG's coming back after so long). Unless it gets a lot worse or is pertinate or helpful in some other way, no rush.

btt

Banned
Banned
In my case - this particular issue is relatively minor, at least so far. Just more wierd and surprising (the same two old TG's coming back after so long). Unless it gets a lot worse or is pertinate or helpful in some other way, no rush.
Mike, this is a strange problem. A WACN of 0 is only allowed in "DMR mode". The only thing I can think of is that your problem talk groups might have a string in the alpha_tag / description of "DMR"? In order to prevent this, DMR mode is now detected when it sees the string "DMR DATA_SYNC". Also, if the drop down operational mode is set to P25, then the mode will NOT be detected as DMR. This should result in WACN never being set to 0 when operating in P25 mode. Try version 2021-04-27_1543

Mike_G_D

LOL!!! Oh my! THAT is funny! Seriously, that's got to be the reason! Here in SD County the agencies have adopted a standard three letter abbreviation for each city in the county. One city is named "Del Mar". Guess what the three letter abbreviation for that city is...!;-)) So that's what I use in my alias name for that TG - it's a lifeguard TG, "Del Mar Lifeguards" abbreviated as "DMR LFGD" in the Alpha Tag section!

And, now I remember, the other semi-frequent "problem" TG is "Del Mar Fair Security" abbreviated in the Alpha Tag section as...you guessed it! - "DMR FAIR"!

Ah well, all good! It sounds like your fixes should work to prevent the issue. I will test and report.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.