ALS vs. BLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

flydream777

What is the difference between ALS and BLS? as in:

"Medic 4 will be transporting one BLS in about ten"

I saw in the CO forum they said it stands for Advanced life support and Basic life support, but they didnt say what criteria distinguishes the two... Any medics around??

Last edited:

kc8syo

ALS stands for Advanced life support Bls stands Basic life support hope that answers your question

Jim41

Als & Bls

flydream777 said:
What is the difference between ALS and BLS (does this mean advanced life support and basic life support)? as in:

Your understanding is correct. ALS = Advanced life support. BLS = Basic life support.

fnnm1062

longtime member
ALS or advanced Life Support is capabale of pushing medications, using a cardiac monitor, and providing a higher level of care than BLS. Does this help

car2back

In the way it was used, it would probably mean the Basic life Support interventions for cardiac arrest: Defibulation, Chest compressions and oxygen administered by BVM.

ALS interventions would be an EKG (heart monitor), advance airway measures (intubation), and administering drugs via an IV or down an endo-tracheal tube.

Last edited:

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
In addition to what the others have said, a BLS patient will have minor, non-life-threatening injuries. A simple oxygen mask or bandage will keep them in check until arrival at the ER.

An ALS patient will require invasive techniques like IV's, cardiac care, medications, etc.

troymail

Silent Key
flydream777 said:
What is the difference between ALS and BLS? as in:

I saw in the CO forum they said it stands for Advanced life support and Basic life support, but they didnt say what criteria distinguishes the two... Any medics around??

I'd assume that 'Medic 4' is an ALS (advancd life support) unit and they are advising that they are transporting a "non-priority" patient (BLS or basic life support needs) patient.

In my area, the local jurisdiction is trying to justify making all of the medical transport units ALS but we hear this type of thing all of the time - an ALS trained crew transporting a patient that only needs BLS care/transport - thus tying up the ALS crew unnecessariliy... sorry, I know I just drifted off topic....

N

N_Jay

ALS = Paramedics
BLS = EMTs

Not a hard fast rule, but a rule of thumb.

Each jurisdiction will be slightly (or greatly) different.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
troymail said:
I'd assume that 'Medic 4' is an ALS (advancd life support) unit and they are advising that they are transporting a "non-priority" patient (BLS or basic life support needs) patient.

In my area, the local jurisdiction is trying to justify making all of the medical transport units ALS but we hear this type of thing all of the time - an ALS trained crew transporting a patient that only needs BLS care/transport - thus tying up the ALS crew unnecessariliy... sorry, I know I just drifted off topic....

In the city where I live all of the Fire/Rescue Medic units are ALS. The Vol. Emergency Crew is a mix of BLS and ALS.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
ALS makes more money, too! I enjoyed it after I got may paramedic rating when you would get the call on the radio for a "transport", and I would key up and go "be advised this is an ALS unit" and then call get sent to another unit! All that worked payed off in the end!

Status
Not open for further replies.