Alsip, Oak Lawn, Evergreen Park, Hometown (Net 6) OFFLINE FOR 3 DAYS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm an avid police scanner listener and I use the app on my Android phone. The Net 6 for Alsip, Oak Lawn, Evergreen Park and Hometown has been "OFFLINE" for 3 days! I'm wondering if anyone can tell me why or when it will be back up ? I have a dedicated police scanner page on Facebook and I'm not able to update anything because the scanner has been down !

I looked up the person who provides the audio but it will not allow me to email or private message the person ....

Anyone have any ideas ?

fredva

Feed Provider
If you are into listening to scanners enough to maintain a community's scanner page, I would recommend that you save up your money and purchase your own scanner rather than rely solely on somebody else's scanner. The other person's scanner may go offline because a computer hard drive went bad, the internet connection is unreliable, the feed provider decided to move out of the area, etc.

Nasby

You could even try setting up a "Go Fund Me" page for all of your loyal Facebook followers to contribute to help you buy a nice scanner!

This is getting ridiculous ! The NET 6 FOR OAK LAWN, ALSIP, EVERGREEN PARK AND HOMETOWN is STILL DOWN! This is going into the 2nd or 3rd week! Whoever provides the audio cannot be "down" that long! And I am "unable" to message the person who provides the audio. The page says "I do not have permission !" Anyone know how to find out why this scanner is down for so long on the app for the phones ?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
This is getting ridiculous ! The NET 6 FOR OAK LAWN, ALSIP, EVERGREEN PARK AND HOMETOWN is STILL DOWN! This is going into the 2nd or 3rd week! Whoever provides the audio cannot be "down" that long! And I am "unable" to message the person who provides the audio. The page says "I do not have permission !" Anyone know how to find out why this scanner is down for so long on the app for the phones ?

You don't have permission because you're a new member.

I suggest you find another means of providing fodder for your Facebook page if the downtime upsets you so much.

ChrisABQ

If you're that serious about your FB friends, make the investment and get a scanner. There are many people on here that would be glad to assist you with set up. It's an amazing hobby with great people that support it.

I've already got a real scanner ... I'm trying to get to the bottom of why the phone app scanner went "offline" ... That's all !

And just for the record it's not "fodder" it's a page I created to keep our neighbors and neighborhood informed !

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
This is getting ridiculous ! The NET 6 FOR OAK LAWN, ALSIP, EVERGREEN PARK AND HOMETOWN is STILL DOWN!

You pay HOW MUCH to listen to this feed?

If it is so critical to inform your Facebook followers when a dog is loose in the street, invest some time, money, and effort in purchasing a scanner. Then you can invest a little time of your own in configuring it as a provider on RR, thus providing the feed yourself for your faithful followers to enjoy, all of whom I am certain are breathlessly waiting to read about the next traffic stop on the parkway.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
A truly bunch of rude people here on these forums !

I'm going to give you a break and assume you don't realize that the feeds are provided by volunteers.

To me, it seems you are rather angry that the feed has been down for such a long time and your Facebook page is suffering as a result.

This feed is provided free of charge to you and is provided by a volunteer using his or her own equipment.

We have no knowledge of why the feed is down. Could be an equipment problem, an internet outage or even a life event affecting the feed provider.

So when somebody who is receiving a free service from a volunteer gets uppity and calls the outage ridiculous, you can see why we get offended.

Hopefully the feed comes back but if it doesn't, I would suggest you stream your scanner using your own equipment.

fredva

Feed Provider

No, we're just trying to get you to understand that the person who had been providing the feed is a volunteer who is under no obligation to provide a feed, or continue to provide a feed to just to serve your purposes. The feed provider owns the scanner and the computer, and can choose to do what he/she wants with their equipment at any time. You say you have a scanner, and you obviously aren't using it to provide a feed. Who are you to say that the feed provider can't decide to use his scanner as a personal scanner - just like you are doing with yours? Or sell it for cash if he desires.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber

The only rude one here is you. You are acting like you are explicitly entitled to this audio feed. I have news for you: YOU ARE NOT!

Your observations and demands are laughable at best. You have no place at the table in this matter.

That feed is provided by a volunteer who donates his scanner, computer, internet connection and time to provide the feed as a free service. You have no contract or guarantee of service for that feed. If it is offline for any reason, you have no rights nor recourse.

If it is so critically important to you, as has been suggested several times, get your own scanner so you will have 100% control over what you want to hear.

Nothing I have said here is rude. Blunt and to the point, but not rude.

Grow up and accept responsibility for your own actions.

I get everything about the feed provider being a volunteer. I was simply trying to figure out why it's been down. It's a moot point at this time so quit replying with all the negative uncalled for comments. I've got a scanner now and I maintain my page as I desire - also as a 'volunteer'. So a simple question - "why is the feed down" - and no one knows - so that's it in a nutshell ... MOVE ON EVERYONE! Nothing to see here !

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Yup, nothing to see here but someone who thinks their entitled to get angry over a free feed provided by a volunteer.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.