Alternative antennas for BCD436HP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM014800

So I currently have and use a BCD436HP equipped with the stock antenna. It gets the job done for what I want to listen to, however sometimes I feel like I don't pick up on things.

What other antennas are out there that would give me a significantly longer range and allow for stuff to come threw more clear? I listen to mostly Phase 1 /2 and TDMA / motorola P25 and all that.

Also. if anyone also has had or currently does have a BCD436HP, how durable is it? Like from drops and stuff.

Thanks!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Diamond RH77CA is a much better antenna than stock.

Tha antenna doesn't care about digital or modulation type. It only cares about frequency.

While the 436 is reasonably durable, it is not designed to handle repeated drops on to concrete, or to be run over by bulldozers.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Diamond RH77CA is a much better antenna than stock.

Tha antenna doesn't care about digital or modulation type. It only cares about frequency.

While the 436 is reasonably durable, it is not designed to handle repeated drops on to concrete, or to be run over by bulldozers.

So I currently have and use a BCD436HP equipped with the stock antenna. It gets the job done for what I want to listen to, however sometimes I feel like I don't pick up on things.

What other antennas are out there that would give me a significantly longer range and allow for stuff to come threw more clear? I listen to mostly Phase 1 /2 and TDMA / motorola P25 and all that.

Also. if anyone also has had or currently does have a BCD436HP, how durable is it? Like from drops and stuff.

Thanks!
The RH77CA is a good antenna, especially for Vhf & Uhf. It also does well on 700/800MHz for nearby or stronger systems.

If your scanning is mostly on 700 or 800MHz trunked systems, you may find that the RadioShack 800MHz antenna is a better choice. This Remtronix antenna is the same item (they manufacture the one RadioShack sells). If you purchase the BNC version, you'd need to use the SMA to BNC adapter that came with your scanner. However, the SMA version is shown on that same page.

The RH77CA is a BNC based antenna, so you would use the adapter for it as well, or simply order it's SMA version.

I've also had good results with this antenna, also available with a BNC o SMA base.

KD4UXQ

The RH77CA is a good antenna, especially for Vhf & Uhf. It also does well on 700/800MHz for nearby or stronger systems.

If your scanning is mostly on 700 or 800MHz trunked systems, you may find that the RadioShack 800MHz antenna is a better choice. This Remtronix antenna is the same item (they manufacture the one RadioShack sells). If you purchase the BNC version, you'd need to use the SMA to BNC adapter that came with your scanner. However, the SMA version is shown on that same page.

The RH77CA is a BNC based antenna, so you would use the adapter for it as well, or simply order it's SMA version.

I've also had good results with this antenna, also available with a BNC o SMA base.

The Remtronix antenna works well on 118 MHz and up. Very surprised at how well it works. I have used the RS version for over 10 years. One has stayed on my BCD396XT and now my BCD436HP all the time, and I never needed anything else portable. I have tried several others and always came back to it.

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
The Comet Miracle Baby is a very small antenna (1.75"), and would NOT give you longer range. It is good in strong-signal areas, or if you need to reduce signal levels due to overload (or sometimes it might be helpful for LSM distortion, depending on the situation). If you are trying for longer range, it would not be good. It would reduce your range.

Status
Not open for further replies.