Alternative GPS for the 536HP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

y84media

Does anyone know of other GPS's that can be used with the 536HP?

I'm just curious

Sent from my iPhone, because it rules!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I was thinking any GPS unit will work as long as it is NMEA compatible (4800 bps) and has the RS232 connector.

I've used a couple of Garmin units with other Uniden scanners.

Anvil

Premium Subscriber
When I traveled before I retired I used a Garmin 18x PC GPS. It comes with a DB 9 Pin Serial Connector and a cigarette lighter plug. I used it with my HP-1 and it worked very well. I used a serial to USB adapter with FTDI chipset. I haven't tried it with my 536 but I'm pretty sure it would work. Amazon still sells them for $67.98.

JamesO

Check on ebay and you should be able to get a Garmin 18X for as little as about $35 if you keep watching.

Although you can use other full featured GPS units, the bar bones hockey pucks have some benefits as far as I am concerned.

BE VERY CAREFUL about the Garmin 18/18X as there are a lot of USB Garmin 18/18X units, you NEED to make sure the unit you are going to buy is a SERIAL unit, not USB.

There was also some question is the Siren App would port the GPS info from the phone to the radio as well?? I recall a discussion on that, but do not recall 100% if the GPS info would be ported from the phone to the radio via the Siren App??

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I've been looking for a good solution as well.

I would like to get something that I can wire into my car that will come on with my master power switch when I cut on my mobile radios, but I haven't seen anything yet that looks like a good solution. I would also like something that I can feed into my laptop dock for navigation as well as to the scanner.

I dug up an old thread where someone suggested using a Garmin Nuvi 360 as a stand-alone GPS unit as well as using an aftermarket serial cable for that unit to kind of kill two birds with one stone.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm presently using the Uniden GPS unit in my vehicle. Previous to that I had a Garmin eTrex Legend, which used the accessory 12 volt power wire.

Both of these had the cigaretter lighter type plug and I installed a 12 volt cigaretter lighter receptacle that was "hot" when the ignition was on. Thus the GPS units were powered up only when the ignition was on. It took less than a minute for both GPS units to acquire a GPS signal on power-up in most circumstances.

dkf435

DigiTraveler Tutorial: GPS Receiver and PDA Setup

Looks like the DigiTraveler will run on 3 internal AAA batteries and/or an external power source.

Might be a little bit cleaner than the Garmin/Uniden option as far as cables?

There were two versions of the DigiTraveler one came with a RS-232 DB9 and the other came with several different PDA connectors with the GPS being the same for both.

I have them with both and take the PDA version and cut the end off and you can splice in a USB cable from a camera with the 4 pin connector for the Uniden or put on a connector that mates with the scanner cable and twist the RXD and TXD so a gender changer and null modem adapter are not needed. If you want to make up your own cables the DigitTraveler has a 6 pin modular plug and the Hirose 4 pin connector should be available but using a premade one is simpler.
For most of my uses I use the Delorme Tripmate and just put in 4 AA NiMH and a set will last for most of my day trips.

David Kb7uns

Status
Not open for further replies.