aluminum base cb antenna for a scanner antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROY_PICKETT

I forget the name of it , but it is about 12' tall , made of aluminum and has a hoop at the bottom.. I get stuff from all over the place , but i am on a hill...think any modifications can be made to help,or is there any kind of antenna booster that can be used? I

Bucko

With a hoop at the bottom it sounds more like an Astro Plane by Avanti. As for scanner use it of course would only be of value on low band.

ROY_PICKETT

thanks

It does well in the PW band.. I can pick up stations in lafayette indiana and we r in english indiana.. Can any modifications be done to it to help the band with?

intrepid97

You can trim the antenna to the frequency range desired (To an extent) in the Low Band range.

ROY_PICKETT

I am not sure how.. I mean it is not a stick type antenna..about 2 feet from the top of the antenna are 2 arm like braces that goes down to the hoop at the bottom..If i cut much off..It would be in 2 peices... I believe in antennas like the antron 99 , there is a screw i thought was for that... Is there a good homebrew scanner antenna that would be a wide enough band for my BC246T ? Thanks Roy

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
A ground plane or vertical dipole such as the Big Stick CB antenna may be cut down for VHF Lo Band but that's about it. Physical construction and electrical characteristics make modifications to more complex antennas difficult to impossible for even the more knowlegable and experienced and still all you'll get out of it is a low band antenna. When it comes to multi band it's no way Jose.

Leave the CB antennas to CB and get yourself a proper antenna. When you learn something about antenna theory and design you may try your hand at building one but until then don't waste your time shooting in the dark.

"Is there a good homebrew scanner antenna that would be a wide enough band for my BC246T ?"

In a word, no. There isn't an antenna made "wide enough", they all have certain limitations. The long and short of it is "wide" antennas are hot on some bands and deaf on others which is why purists use more than one antenna. If you live near the tower you can receive on a strand of wet spaghetti but if not you just may need a bit more. so the bottom line is one size does not fit all.

ROY_PICKETT

Thanks for the info.. Guess i will stick with what i have till i can afford a proper antenna..can you name a good one with a wide band that would be a good one for the one i have? thanks Roy

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Roy, like I have stated many times before such a vague question will get you a million opinions and not one answer.

A girdle with metal stays has a wide band... (;->)

Status
Not open for further replies.