AM Broadcast Antenna Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best antenna to hook up to the back of your typical home stereo receiver for broadcast AM?

I have hear about a long coil of wire working good. Also I believe there are three connection posts for the AM antenna. Why would this be? They aren't marked.

I have heard antenna height means nothing with AM signals, and that antennas near the ground work better. True?

Being simple radios, does it matter WHICH AM radio you use for this? A particular model that shines?

Seeing a thread about AM DX got me thinking on this. My first interest in radio did actually come from nightime AM listening, and I had sort of forgotten about that. Now I want to check it out again.

k8tmk

Perhaps the best AM antenna would be a loop. You can purchase them, or you can make one yourself. They are pretty easy to build. Just Google AM Loop Antennas.
Loop antennas really show their worth when you want to do some AM DXing. You can rotate loop antennas to null out stations to hear what might be underneath.

Randy

gcgrotz

Check Ramsey Electronics too, they have remote ferrite loops. And of course Grove or Universal sell Select-A-Tenna loops, or I hear the TERK AM loop works very well and is cheaper, check Crutchfield.com for that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.