Am I a "ham"

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is going to be a really dumb question, Are you ready? I like to listen to the scanner and find new frequencies. would this be considered a "HAM"? or is there a better term for what I do? At some point I want to get certified for ham radios however I don't have the money to get the radios yet.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
No, you are a radio hobbiest.

'Ham' has a specific meaning, it's a licensed radio amateur operator.

canav844

And you don't need to be buying radios to get the license, so get studying and EARN your ticket.

Radio hobbyists, scannist or just an average guy that enjoys listening to the radio are all more fitting of where you're at now.

CalebATC

And you don't need to be buying radios to get the license, so get studying and EARN your ticket.

Radio hobbyists, scannist or just an average guy that enjoys listening to the radio are all more fitting of where you're at now.

You will enjoy it! There is nothing as fun as having static on 10 meters, calling CQ and getting a station you can barely hear come across the static. You get a smile on your face, give him his signal report, talk to him and get on with the net. Some signals barely come across, some will blast you out.

I am about to start studying the General class, can't wait to get off of 10 meters and move to some of the other bands! I believe 20 and 80 meters are going to be my DX'ing friends! Anyway, you don't have to even use a radio. You will learn alot, and you can be officially called a HAM! :) Even if you don't have 15 dollars to go take the test, at least get the Technicians book and read it- it will give you some great information about a good portion of what amateur radio is all about.

N8GXZ

Get that ham ticket (license) If I can do it anyone can. I was a tech since 1986 , learned the code in about 2 months (now you dont need the code) stayed a tech till last August and upgraded to General. What a wonder feeling !! I lost interest for 20 years due to working alot, soon as I retired I started studying for general ( go to QRZ.com) took me about a month of taking practice exams and reading. Then my friend YOU will be a ham ! Ohh and Merry Christmas !!

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
So far you're a ham wannabe but that's subject to change and not contingent on buying transceivers or anything else. All it will cost you is a nominal testing fee, you can go all the way to Extra Class which gives you full privileges on all the Amateur bands before you even have a physical station.

northzone

Premium Subscriber

Actually the days of EARNING a ham radio license are long gone. Once they allowed you to have all the questions and answers before taking the test it was over. I know many that learned nothing but just memorized the test, and it shows on the air.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Am I a "Ham"

I got this piece of paper after taking 2 tests which says something about General Class with some letters and numbers from the FCC.:roll:

elk2370bruce

Actually the days of EARNING a ham radio license are long gone. Once they allowed you to have all the questions and answers before taking the test it was over. I know many that learned nothing but just memorized the test, and it shows on the air.

Then why are most of the worst on-the-air offenders the ones who have had their licenses for years before the changes we now see? I know of many fools, curmudgeons, and LIDS that come in all license categories and decades of initial licensing. What's next for your accusetory quivering first finger digit and quavering voice of derision? The elimination of cw? The dumbing-down thread is getting a bit old and cold - except for the occasional laugh we get in responding to it.

I know I need to get the cert. I want to join the local ham club however I need to wait to get a car first.

You will enjoy it! There is nothing as fun as having static on 10 meters, calling CQ and getting a station you can barely hear come across the static. You get a smile on your face, give him his signal report, talk to him and get on with the net. Some signals barely come across, some will blast you out.

I am about to start studying the General class, can't wait to get off of 10 meters and move to some of the other bands! I believe 20 and 80 meters are going to be my DX'ing friends! Anyway, you don't have to even use a radio. You will learn alot, and you can be officially called a HAM! :) Even if you don't have 15 dollars to go take the test, at least get the Technicians book and read it- it will give you some great information about a good portion of what amateur radio is all about.

Yep I am going to start learning. Is there a website I can learn online? or do I need to buy the book?

Get that ham ticket (license) If I can do it anyone can. I was a tech since 1986 , learned the code in about 2 months (now you dont need the code) stayed a tech till last August and upgraded to General. What a wonder feeling !! I lost interest for 20 years due to working alot, soon as I retired I started studying for general ( go to QRZ.com) took me about a month of taking practice exams and reading. Then my friend YOU will be a ham ! Ohh and Merry Christmas !!

Wow thank you for the info. that is a very interesting website. I am going to order a book and start learning. I am a retired firefighter I used to operate those radios all the time so this should not be to bad.

N8IAA

I know I need to get the cert. I want to join the local ham club however I need to wait to get a car first.

Just a couple of suggestions for you. Check out American Radio Relay League | Ham Radio Association and Resources and look under clubs. They will list the clubs for your area of PA, along with contacts at those clubs. Call a couple of them, and ask for a ride to the meeting. I'm sure that they would be happy to help you out. I've done that for new people that show an interest in the amateur service. Yes, it is a service not a hobby. As was mentioned is this site: QRZ.COM Callsign Database They will have tests for you to take. And, yes, get a book. Gordon West's is probably the best study guide for beginning hams. The local clubs may even sponsor classes for those interested in getting into ham radio. That's how I did it over twenty-five years ago. Don't worry about not having a car or a radio. Someone will step forward and help you.
HTH,
Larry

N8IAA

If you don't like to spend money, take the online test until you learn the material (Don't kill me Hams). Otherwise, there are many books and guides out there.

QRZ.COM QRZ Ham Radio Practice Tests

I sure won't kill you:) You gave him a better link than I did. One of the things about taking practice tests, is it points out what you need to learn. That is where the study books come in handy.
Larry

CalebATC

Like everyone said, some learn the material (Even though I didn't do great on the test, I am at least one who didn't memorize the answers. And for me, that's what counts.)

Like said before, you can DEFINITELY tell who did memorize the answers and who didn't.

Do both, if you have books or study guides as listed above, read the whole thing, and try your best to know the questions.

D

DaveNF2G

The ones who memorized the right answers are the ones who ask the stupid questions because they don't understand why the answers are right.

KX4KDH

Database Admin
I for one ordered the ARRL book, and it also came with a CD-ROM with a testing program. Someone like me WILL understand WHY the answers are correct. My girlfriend is also helping me out by calling out questions from the book. The next test here is January 22nd, and I can't wait. I already have my radios, and have been listening to "how it's done" on the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.