• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Am I about to Brick my mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
Hello. I just read my Moto CDM-1550LS+ using CPS version 06.12.02. It shows the firmware version of the radio as: R05.10.02 I've saved a copy of the this original code plug. If I write to the radio with my CPS version, will it "brick" the radio? Also, the radio shows that I can program GMRS frequencies in Wideband (25khz). If I write to the radio using my CPS, will this require that I get an entitlement wavier? odd that FRS is narrowband and GMRS is wideband. oh well. Thank you for you help.

Tech21

No, it shouldn't brick the radio. After all you were able to read it just fine with your CPS version.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
My rule of thumb with the CDMs is, no matter what your doing...reprogramming the whole radio, changing one channel, one CTCSS, etc.... always READ the radio first, no matter how many times you've programmed it before, and even if you have saved code plugs.

Sometimes these radios get a little "off-kilter" for one reason or another (the cable or computer you're using, etc), and most of the time it's correctable. If you can't read the radio, and there's a problem, at least the radio isn't partially or fully DOA from trying to program it.

N1GTL

Database Admin
The FIRMWARE and CPS versions do not need to match. It's rare when that does happen.

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I read the radio before doing anything and saved that codeplug to a safe place. I was able to write to the radio using my version of CPS. But... I have 8 channels programmed in zone 1. When the radio starts, it shows me what is in channel 1, but the up and down buttons do not raise or lower the channel. I can't find any button programming other than P1, P2, P3 and P4. Am I missing a setting?

My apologies to the readers here who are frustrated by newbie questions...

brndnstffrd

What is the model number that the programming software shows? Does it match the model number on the radio brick?

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
The model number shown in the CPS as well as on the factory label match: M25RHF9DP5A. I purchased this radio from Sunny Communications and they have been a good reseller

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
Did you place the channels you programmed into your zone? If you didn’t, it will only stay on what is defaulted in the zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.