Am I programming to many sites?

k27

Hi, I'm new to scanning Utah. I Live in weber county but work a lot in Salt Lake County. I only have interest in scanning Weber, Davis, Salt Lake counties.

My scanner is fully programmed & working and picking up feeds sometime static. But I was wondering am I doing it wrong. For Instance, when I program Weber County dispatch, I will select Weber CO simulcast, then also add in Davis County simulcast and Salt Lake simulcast just so I can still hear weber transmission in Salt Lake and vice versa. Is this correct or should I only be programing in weber county simulcast for my area to get clear transmissions?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
1 Are you using this scanner as a Base or Mobile?
2 Are you with in range of the sites you entered?
3 Each System needs in it own list not all together.
4 What Scanner are you using?
5 If you are in the middle of more than 1 site you need to most likely us a Uniden SDSx00 Scanner.

Reconrider

If they are simlucasting with each other, the talkgroups should go across those towers also.
As a saying I've read many times here on RR, "the less you scan the more you hear"

k27

1 Are you using this scanner as a Base or Mobile?
2 Are you with in range of the sites you entered?
3 Each System needs in it own list not all together.
4 What Scanner are you using?
5 If you are in the middle of more than 1 site you need to most likely us a Uniden SDSx00 Scanner.
Thanks for responding.
1. I am using this as handheld mobile - mostly to hear what’s going on around me at home and work.
2.Not sure how close I’m in range to the sites, I’m new to Weber County Utah. I live in Roy Utah. Is there a map to see how close I am to the sites?
3. What do you mean by that? The way I do it, using psredit500. For scan list 1… I select the site which is Weber county simulcast, then the entire Weber county / Ogden talk-groups I want to hear. Then I go back and plug in Davis county simulcast, Mt. Ogden & salt lake sites. ( just in case I’m in Davis and still want to hear Weber traffic )
4. I’m using a whistler WS1040 scanner.
5. I’m getting very clear traffic, but I was wondering was I making my scanner work to hard by overloading it with so many different county sites.

k27

If they are simlucasting with each other, the talkgroups should go across those towers also.
As a saying I've read many times here on RR, "the less you scan the more you hear"
So your saying just basically manually listen to one talk group at a time?

Reconrider

So your saying just basically manually listen to one talk group at a time?
Like in your OP you're scanning 3 sites. The issue with scanning that much, is it has to refind the control channel every time it goes to change. In all that time, you could miss 0 calls, or you could miss 15. You can't tell without having something else to scan.

But like i said, if those sites really do simulcast, see if they neighbor, the TGs should carry between the 3

Reactions: k27

k27

Like in your OP you're scanning 3 sites. The issue with scanning that much, is it has to refind the control channel every time it goes to change. In all that time, you could miss 0 calls, or you could miss 15. You can't tell without having something else to scan.

But like i said, if those sites really do simulcast, see if they neighbor, the TGs should carry between the 3
Makes perfect since, thank you! I think I was sometimes missing calls and transmissions; I will hear dispatch talk then voice completely fades out and comes back in on responses.

k27

one system.
Ok so I reprogrammed scanner. Now I have one simulcast assigned to each appropriate agency.
But since I removed Weber county simulcast out of my Davis county talk groups I can’t hear the traffic no more. And I’m literally next door to Davis county. So do I have to add back Weber county sites to hear traffic in Davis county?
The weird thing is I can’t hear Davis county traffic at all in Weber, zero bars on signal. But my scanner will pick up salt lake traffic from their dedicated site which is way further

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
You need to figure out exactly what talk groups you wish to listen to and what sites they are on. Some tg's may only be on certain sites or on all the sites. Where I am, some tg's are only on certain sites.

Ok so I reprogrammed scanner. Now I have one simulcast assigned to each appropriate agency.
But since I removed Weber county simulcast out of my Davis county talk groups I can’t hear the traffic no more. And I’m literally next door to Davis county. So do I have to add back Weber county sites to hear traffic in Davis county?
The weird thing is I can’t hear Davis county traffic at all in Weber, zero bars on signal. But my scanner will pick up salt lake traffic from their dedicated site which is way further
Read up on affiliation here:
Trunking Basics - The RadioReference Wiki

It may explain the answer to your questions.

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
This is in reference to a bunch of stuff to scan. I added another county simulcast ( it's about 30miles away), 2 meter and 70CM ham last night. No issues, but I might miss a few things while the radio goes trough the sites. Oh yeah, sometimes I need to hit the avoid on the ham guys. I figured it might be interesting to listen, but sometimes they don't shut up. lol

N7YUO

Here is an idea.
Can you send me a copy of your program that I can analyze with Win500?
I have a WS1040, and now an SDS100. both work well for non-digital simulcast sites.

Unless someone experienced can actually see what you have, we are just playing a guessing game.

It's kinda like calling the doctor and saying I don't feel well. can you tell me what's wrong?
All the doc can say is maybe it's this or maybe it's that.

My WS1040 has served me well for years traveling from Salt Lake County, through Davis County to work at Hill AFB.
When I choose to travel farther north to Weber County/Ogden I can select that simulcast.
I can also choose simulcast sites for Cache, Summit/Wasatch, or Utah County when I travel there.
The WS 1040 also works well in parts of Idaho with P25 phase 1 trunking.
(When I travel to Lava Hot Springs in Bannock County, ID.

kc7rhw

Premium Subscriber
You need to listen to only the simo site for just weber county and lock out every thing else that is how
i listen to the whole wasatch front. just the simo for each county i never miss a call

k27

Here is an idea.
Can you send me a copy of your program that I can analyze with Win500?
I have a WS1040, and now an SDS100. both work well for non-digital simulcast sites.

Unless someone experienced can actually see what you have, we are just playing a guessing game.

It's kinda like calling the doctor and saying I don't feel well. can you tell me what's wrong?
All the doc can say is maybe it's this or maybe it's that.

My WS1040 has served me well for years traveling from Salt Lake County, through Davis County to work at Hill AFB.
When I choose to travel farther north to Weber County/Ogden I can select that simulcast.
I can also choose simulcast sites for Cache, Summit/Wasatch, or Utah County when I travel there.
The WS 1040 also works well in parts of Idaho with P25 phase 1 trunking.
(When I travel to Lava Hot Springs in Bannock County, ID.

yes I’ll try to find copy and send it to you.