AM Radio interference Cape May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fichteradio

It's back. During the winter, the AM radio band was full of a ticking sound here I first noticed under AM 1060 KYW. It returned in early August especially on 900 KHz. It's annoying and seems to be coming from Cape May but not the Coast Guard base, What is it?

Fichteradio

Here's an MP3 where I am tuning from 880 kHz to 910 kHz.
What type of radio are you using and do you have a time of day when it is more pronounced ?

Terry
Villas NJ
It's 24/7 and I've heard it on stereo receivers and numerous car radios. You may not hear it in Villas but drive into Cape May and its strong. I can't seem to post an MP3 to this site.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Okay I drove around the lower half of Cape May County and found the signal peaked at 900 KHz. It nicely covered a station from Georgetown Delaware on the same frequency. In doing some research - I determined that what you are hearing is the e-Loran transmitter from the old USCG Loran antenna site. The signal is actually on 100 KHz. If you compare the signal on 100 KHz and 910 KHz ... you will find they are the same. Use 910 KHz since the radio station is on 900 KHz.

Terry
Villas NJ

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Well apparently with GPS systems being very hackable the government and the military needed a back up system. I read that some commercial shipping fleets are installing it as well. The proximity of Cape May city to the transmitter site (along with the harmonics of the frequency) enable us to hear it on 900 KHz. I can hear the tranmitter well on its actual transmit frequency of 100 KHz.

Hope that helps

Terry
Villas NJ

station09

Feed Provider
I think your right. Its bad. I can see it on the water fall on the SDRplay and on the scope on the Icom R-9000. Thank you

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
I have contacted the USCG in Cape May and they are not aware of the transmissions on 100 KHz (nor the interference on 900 KHz).

Have reached out to a possible civilian contractor that may be operating the equipment and waiting to hear back from them.

I just called the radio station on 900 KHz and spoke to someone and let them know I emailed them last week. They are going to check things out and get back to me.

Terry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.