AM Radio interference Cape May

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Okay I have recevied a reply to my email to one of the E-Loran provider companies.....I have already replied to them and gave them the station information and a contact email address. Tech792's comment about the transmitter seems to be confirmed by this company as well.

It is not UrsaNav that is using the Wildwood site but we see that another company is using the site and apparently broadcasting out of specification. Do you know the call sign for the AM station that is being interfered with as someone likely needs to notify the FCC about this.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Yes Terry ? Are you getting the interference on the AM band? Thank You

Yes - I actually drove around the southern / central portion of the county and monitored the signal and the side channels (as reported previously in this thread...see message 5 above). The signal was strongest in the city of Cape May especially closer to the USCG station area. I did not go over the bridge into Wildwood Crest to confirm the strength there (was not carrying any change and could not remember if the bridge took EZ-Pass) !!

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Well I tried to see if they could tell me the name of the company operating the Wildwood site but I guess for liability purposes they did not want to do that. I can understand their concern. They suggested a complaint be filed with the FCC and I will look into that process. Will see what happens.

Terry

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Great, I will do some research also.

I believe I know who is operating the site - just need to confirm that they were the ones who put the equipment into operation and are currently supporting it. May contact them before I bother the FCC with something that the operator may be able to correct at the site.

Terry

station09

Feed Provider
Sounds good . Did some research on how to file a complaint with the FCC. I will hold off. Thank you

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Okay I have recevied a reply to my email to one of the E-Loran provider companies.....I have already replied to them and gave them the station information and a contact email address. Tech792's comment about the transmitter seems to be confirmed by this company as well.

It is not UrsaNav that is using the Wildwood site but we see that another company is using the site and apparently broadcasting out of specification. Do you know the call sign for the AM station that is being interfered with as someone likely needs to notify the FCC about this.

Public records show that in recent years, it is a USNO site being used jointly by UrsaNav and Harris for doing test of e-LORAN. USNO is may be the one to contact.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Thanks - will remember that for next time. Was going to try to monitor when out in my wife's car (with her driving) but her car does not have the AM radio band. I guess AM radio is not as popular as it used to be.
Odd.. Most car radios still have AM, but is not a leading feature.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Her vehicle is a 2020 Volvo XC-60. When we went into Cape May, I wanted to check on the interference and could not find anything in the radio that mentioned AM. Need to look at the owners manual.

I don't know if it's the case with the Volvo, but some newer/high end European cars do not have an AM radio. It's sort of fallen out of favor and RFI is an issue that's difficult to address. I guess at some point someone decided it was easier to remove the AM broadcast capability than to fix the RFI from all the electronics.

Interesting thread. I've heard eLORAN was being tested in various places. Seems like they should be doing a better job avoiding interference with AM broadcast.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Its gone, Great Thanks What was is being used for, If you can share that info

They are testing e-loran but the transmitter must have had some issues so it was taken off line. E-Loran is the new loran as backup to GPS since it has been found that GPS can be hacked. Apparently some shipping companies are moving towards using it more.

Terry

station09

Feed Provider
They are testing e-loran but the transmitter must have had some issues so it was taken off line. E-Loran is the new loran as backup to GPS since it has been found that GPS can be hacked. Apparently some shipping companies are moving towards using it more.

Terry
Thank you ! Are you a Amateur radio operator ?

station09

Feed Provider
You are welcome. I am not an amateur radio operator, but I have 53 years worth of radio monitoring experience and have heard quite a few things in my days.

Terry
Again thank you. I use to be the Civilian career fire chief for the Coast Guard base. I retired about 11 years ago . I know that building well, use to go there for fire calls. I did the fire inspections, for the buildings , and fire protection system testing. Also was a electronics technician. Still keep my hands into as Amateur radio operator. Again thank you

SFcommo

Here's an MP3 where I am tuning from 880 kHz to 910 kHz.

It's 24/7 and I've heard it on stereo receivers and numerous car radios. You may not hear it in Villas but drive into Cape May and its strong. I can't seem to post an MP3 to this site.
did you ever post the mp3 or have a youtube post of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.